Gold Piping - Paint Or Mix?

Decorating By egensinnig Updated 15 Nov 2009 , 8:06pm by Kitagrl

egensinnig Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
egensinnig Posted 15 Nov 2009 , 2:26pm
post #1 of 9

Piping RI absolutely terrifies me bout now I have this cake idea with a lot of gold piping so I will give it a try....

So how do I get gold colour on my piping? I know I can paint it but I have understood that you can get the RI (or BC???) to get gold colour by mixing it with - powder gold, liquid gold?

8 replies
Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 15 Nov 2009 , 2:35pm
post #2 of 9

I start with a yellow-gold color and then paint. I did a Moroccan cake this weekend with gold painted piping, you can see it in my pix if you want.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 15 Nov 2009 , 3:55pm
post #3 of 9

Mixing it with the icing will give you a gold-ish color, but it won't be the shiny gold that we seem to expect. If you're ok with a dull gold, then mixing it will work (recommend Americold Gold). If you want the pretty shiny gold, then paint it.

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 15 Nov 2009 , 3:59pm
post #4 of 9

If it's a LOT of piping, I prefer painting it afterward.

Or, you can try this -- mix a small amount of gold luster dust with vegetable oil. 'Paint' the inside of a small parchment cone. Fill the cone with RI. Your piping will come out with the gold dust already on it. The only drawback, is you can only do this in very small batches at a time.

If you're going to paint afterward, I recommend coloring your RI with Americolor gold or Winnie the Pooh gold first. That way, any missed spots, or areas where the dust may rub off, won't stand out.

egensinnig Posted 15 Nov 2009 , 7:09pm
post #5 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitagrl

I start with a yellow-gold color and then paint. I did a Moroccan cake this weekend with gold painted piping, you can see it in my pix if you want.

LOL - guess where my idea came from icon_biggrin.gif Your marvelous cake made me so inspired and since I'm moroccan myself I felt I just have to give it a try. Love those intircate patterns and the rich colours

egensinnig Posted 15 Nov 2009 , 7:12pm
post #6 of 9

Thanks all for your excellent advice - now I have a lot more options. I only wish I could get my hands on some good colours. To get Americolor I have to order from the US and it usually takes 3-5 weeks to get it. But I'll try with teh paint I have and see how far it will take me - once again - thank you!

Kitagrl Posted 15 Nov 2009 , 7:34pm
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by egensinnig

Quote:

LOL - guess where my idea came from icon_biggrin.gif Your marvelous cake made me so inspired and since I'm moroccan myself I felt I just have to give it a try. Love those intircate patterns and the rich colours

Awww. icon_smile.gif Another tip then...buy the premade red satin ice....it is a HUGE help!!!!

egensinnig Posted 15 Nov 2009 , 8:02pm
post #8 of 9
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by egensinnig

Quote:

Awww. icon_smile.gif Another tip then...buy the premade red ....it is a HUGE help!!!!

o

Wuld love to buy it, just so hard to get here in Sweden. But I've ordered some premade red marcipan and hope that will work out

Kitagrl Posted 15 Nov 2009 , 8:06pm
post #9 of 9

I'm sorry, I didn't realize you were over there. icon_smile.gif

Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%