Flavoring Fondant

Decorating By sweethaven09 Updated 16 Nov 2009 , 3:19pm by luddroth

sweethaven09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweethaven09 Posted 15 Nov 2009 , 11:44am
post #1 of 16

I was wondering if anyone has ever bought the prepackaged wilton fondant, and added any flavorings to it? ie almond extract, etc. Does it make it taste any better? Or does anyone have any suggestions for "good-tasting" fondant? Thanks!!

15 replies
cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 15 Nov 2009 , 12:51pm
post #2 of 16

If you want to make MMF (marshmellow fondant) or MFF (Michelle Foster's fondant), or any other fondant - you can flavor it yourself.

There are also other brands of fondant that you can buy that have a flavor added into it already. For instance, Satin Ice has vanilla in it.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 15 Nov 2009 , 12:55pm
post #3 of 16
JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 15 Nov 2009 , 1:36pm
post #4 of 16

I would RUN from Wilton!!!!

Jen icon_smile.gif

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 15 Nov 2009 , 2:52pm
post #5 of 16

Wilton fondant can be flavored easily using LorAnn candy oils. I have all of my students do this because many students don't want to make their own and don't have access to the better-tasting brands of fondant.

Put a teaspoon of LorAnn cotton candy, marshmallow, Amaretto, or butternut vanilla in that fondant and it will definitely taste good! icon_smile.gif

nanatrucker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nanatrucker Posted 15 Nov 2009 , 3:19pm
post #6 of 16

Fondarific has great tasting fondant too.

tigerhawk83 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tigerhawk83 Posted 15 Nov 2009 , 7:56pm
post #7 of 16

Cakepro - what a GREAT suggestion!! I have a bucket of Fondarific I bought at ICES this year but it won't last forever and I don't really have access to anything here in my small town but Hobby Lobby and Walmart. I have made MMF but it's too soft for me to work with. Can't wait to try your idea.

You said 1 tsp - is that for the whole bucket or how much??

Cakepro Posted 15 Nov 2009 , 10:14pm
post #8 of 16

I recommend starting with half a bottle (which is half a teaspoon) per 1.5 pounds of fondant and then taste to see if you need to add more. icon_smile.gif

laurs_1981 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
laurs_1981 Posted 15 Nov 2009 , 11:32pm
post #9 of 16

I recently used LorAnn's butternut vanilla flavouring...it smelled soooooo good...and i had a lot of compliments on how good my fondant was...i could have put that on broccoli and it would make it good though....

Lisaa1996 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisaa1996 Posted 15 Nov 2009 , 11:53pm
post #10 of 16

Stay far, far away from Wilton's if you want anyone to eat it. It is good for practicing with and that's about it. I make MFF...the recipe is above I think!!! Michele's rocks because it isn't as soft as the MMF. I always add some melted white chocolate chips to it as well and everyone LOVES it. I do make sure it sits overnight so it gets nice and firm. I am waiting to try Satin ICe though I can save myself some work. Anyone out there have an opinion on that?

Cakepro Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 2:07am
post #11 of 16

Lisa, Wilton fondant that has been flavored actually does taste good. Wilton fondant flavored with tropical punch flavored Kool-Aid mix is really quite yummy too. Just curious ~ have you ever even tried flavoring it with candy oil before telling others to stay "far far away" from it?

And yeah, Satin Ice is good. I have used it exclusively for the last few years. Personally, I find MMF to be quite nasty...icky sweet with no flavor other than sugar.

Lisaa1996 Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 4:01am
post #12 of 16

I agree that MMF is too sweet thogh some may like it that way, that's why I use MFF instead. And you will notice that I am not the only one to avoid Wilton....if you look at the previous posts. I have tried flavoring it with vanilla and it was terrible. I have also had many customers ask me not to use fondant if I was going to use Wilton's. That is why I only use my own. I have no idea if they were basing their experience with it on flavored fondant or not but I know when I have tried it, I didn't like it and I won't sell something I won't eat myself icon_smile.gif. Thanks for the tip though, it may be a matter of personal preference. What I should have said is that "I" stay far, far away from it but Sweethaven can make her own decision if she wants to flavor it herself.

Cakepro Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 4:24am
post #13 of 16

Oh, I know there are lots of Wilton haters out there...I've been around awhile icon_wink.gif. I just wanted to provide some balance...we don't know if the OP is brand new to cakes or is a student or what. If you are selling cakes, obviously you should use a higher quality fondant. But if one is a hobbyist and doesn't shop for cake stuff anywhere other than Michael's or Hobby Lobby or whatever, more power to her to flavor the Wilton fondant until she starts making her own or buying better stuff. icon_smile.gif

Lisaa1996 Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 5:37am
post #14 of 16

agreed icon_smile.gif

AmandaGudi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmandaGudi Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 3:03pm
post #15 of 16

I've flavored the wilton fondant before with vanilla or almond extract and it was BETTER but still not very good. My family will pick it off every single time and they really do not like the taste, even when I flavor it. I just recently bought Satin Ice and they seem to enjoy that alot more.

luddroth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luddroth Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 3:19pm
post #16 of 16

I use Pettinice, which is not quite as sweet, has a pleasant vanilla/marshmallow flavor, and handles really well. It's a little harder to find, but an on-line search will get you to several different suppliers.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%