Fondant Paste???

Decorating By evbunt Updated 14 Nov 2009 , 4:22am by evbunt

evbunt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
evbunt Posted 14 Nov 2009 , 1:52am
post #1 of 10

Happy Friday night! I am making a loop bow following the cc tutorial posted on the tutorial thread and I may have done something wrong. She says to mix fondant and water until it becomes a paste (and use it as a glue for all the bows). Well, I've been mixing fondant and water for over an hour and it's still lumpy with chunks of fondant in it...I started with a small ball of fondant, then used too much water, so I added more fondant and have now been stirring for sooo long. My hand is killing me! It is thickening, but if I hold up the spoon or fork, it still falls off. Is there an easier way? I'm only an occasional cakester, so I don't have everything readily on hand (like stuff for royal icing) but are there other alternatives?

By the way, I did try to PM her, but I didn't expect an immediate reply so I thought I'd check here, too. Thanks, in advance!

9 replies
dsilvest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsilvest Posted 14 Nov 2009 , 2:07am
post #2 of 10

Stick the mixture in the nicrowave for 5 - 10 second intervals to soften the lumps, then stir. You can also use melted chocolate to secure the bows. The chocolate cools quickly and it doesn't take as long to put the bow together.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
evbunt Posted 14 Nov 2009 , 2:16am
post #4 of 10

Okay, well, I have most of the lumps out, but on my 2nd layer, the "glob" is oozing down and out and is slowly flowing off of my base square. (it looks pretty though). Will this gob dry or should I switch to melted chocolate at this point? thanks, I hate needing to post in the middle of what I'm doing!

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 14 Nov 2009 , 2:30am
post #5 of 10

Do you have enough loops left to start over with melted chocolate? I hate suggesting it when you've been working on it for so long already, but it sounds like it's going to make a sticky mess and maybe melt your bow loops too.

I could be wrong though, I've never done that method...always used almond bark coating or candy melts or chocolate chips.

evbunt Posted 14 Nov 2009 , 2:53am
post #6 of 10

Okay, I'm attaching the finished bow, which you can slightly see the goop and then i tried to do a close up where you can see the goop oozing, though I think it has stopped, out the bottom. I only have about 10 loops left, the cake is for Sunday, so I'm wondering if I go on another hunt tomorrow (went to 8 places this week) to the cake store if I can find tylose and start over with that mixed into my fondant and try a different method. Unless you guys think I can make this work (it's for my niece - 6 year old), it doesn't have to be perfect but I do want it to be nice, even though it's my first time. And, though its on wax paper and has a square base, I don't even knowif I'll be able to move it!
LL
LL

Texas_Rose Posted 14 Nov 2009 , 3:04am
post #7 of 10

Is the frosting going to be the same color as the goop (for lack of a better word icon_biggrin.gif )?

If it is, then I think it won't be noticeable on the cake.

It's a really pretty bow.

If you do want to start over, if you make loops now they will be dry by Sunday morning even with straight fondant, at least they should be dry by then. I have made bows with MMF and it takes about a day and a half to dry. When you glue the bow together with chocolate it's pretty quick, will be dry enough to move in an hour or so.

evbunt Posted 14 Nov 2009 , 3:18am
post #8 of 10

Well, I am doing a two tier package cake, the bottom was supposed to be pink with green swirls and the top tier was to be green with this pink bow on top. It's going to be on buttercream (not yet brave enough to do whole cake in fondant) so maybe I can play with some buttercream in pink and green around the bow???? Again, assuming I can move it. I guess I have to start again just in case. So, with the melted chocolate do I do the same method and just use the chocolate between each layer? Thanks for your help, it is so so appreciated!

And, thanks for the compliment!

Texas_Rose Posted 14 Nov 2009 , 4:11am
post #9 of 10

Yes, same method...a blob of chocolate on a sheet of waxed paper, stick the bottom row of loops in, add another blob of chocolate, more loops, etc...

Where was the tutorial with the fondant blob? I've seen the one with chocolate, the one with wires, and one with toothpicks, but I haven't seen the fondant blob one yet icon_biggrin.gif

evbunt Posted 14 Nov 2009 , 4:22am
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rose

Yes, same method...a blob of chocolate on a sheet of waxed paper, stick the bottom row of loops in, add another blob of chocolate, more loops, etc...

Where was the tutorial with the fondant blob? I've seen the one with chocolate, the one with wires, and one with toothpicks, but I haven't seen the fondant blob one yet icon_biggrin.gif

First, thanks! Second, at the top of this "how do I" thread, there is a post that is titled something like "hundreds of tutorials in here" or something close to that. i'm sure you've been through there. Anyway, the first post has a category of how to make a bow and the last one on the list is here on cakecentral...good pics and everything. The others listed are you tube videos, all of which I watched. I am actually having to do 2 cakes, one for the kid party and one for the family at the house afterwards (have to, because now that I started this I can't let them go buy one) and followed Edna's bow technique for the normal bow, but that damn ribbon! Anyway, the tutorial is there with good pictures.

I think I'm going to see if my blob is hardening tomorrow and if it isn't I'm going to go to the one cake store I know of a few towns away and get tylose and start over. I baked the cakes tonight, too, so the kitchen mess is calling me...

Thanks again for your help!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%