Help Making Mmf Please & Edible Image Help!!

Decorating By forheavenscake Updated 16 Nov 2009 , 1:19pm by forheavenscake

forheavenscake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
forheavenscake Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 7:38pm
post #1 of 8

Ok, so I have been trying to get WHITE MMF and last time someone recommended using the marshmallow fluff? So I thought I'd give this a go tonight. Does anyone know how much fluff do I have to use? so like for instance, how much fluff equals a bag of marshmallows??

Also, I had an edible image printed from publix. I have never used one before. She told me to make sure it doesn't dry out and to NOT put it in the refrigerator. Well the cake I am making needs to be refrigerated (boston cream) so what do I do? Should I decorate the whole cake and then slap the image on the morning of the delivery?

Thanks for help!

7 replies
sherrycanary62 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sherrycanary62 Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 8:00pm
post #2 of 8

I can't help with the edible image ;(

But not sure why you are not getting white MMF. Are you using clear vanilla or traditional vanilla...if using the traditional this will tint your fondant. You need clear vanilla. You can usually pick it up at Michaels or Walmart in their cake decorating sections. If you are using clear vanilla then I am not sure why you are not getting white.

forheavenscake Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 8:18pm
post #3 of 8

I am not using vanilla at all. . .for my MMF all I use is marshmallows, powdered sugar & 2 tbsp water. It always comes out an off-white. Looks white until you hold it up to something that is actually WHITE!

cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 15 Nov 2009 , 1:35am
post #4 of 8

I made the mistake of putting an edible image in the fridge when they told me not to. It was only in there a short time and ended up bleeding. You are definitely wise to decorate and put it on a couple hours before. You have to keep it in the wrapping they give you until then - it will last a long time if kept in there...

As for the white MMF, just add whitener (Wilton) or super white (I buy Country Kitchen brand at my local decorating store).Good luck!

forheavenscake Posted 15 Nov 2009 , 2:45am
post #5 of 8

Thank you for letting me know about the image! Question though. . if I put it on in the morning and then they put it in their refrigerator before the party do you think it wlil be ok for that short time?? I am dropping it off around 9:00 am. . and I think the party is around 12:00??

If not, will the actual cake be ok if left out for that long (which is riskier. . cake or image?) It is a boston cream cake. . (vanilla cake, with vanilla pudding filling & ganache). The only thing that I could see being a problem with the cake being left out is all the creamer that was mixed in with the pudding.

laurs_1981 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
laurs_1981 Posted 15 Nov 2009 , 11:48pm
post #6 of 8

i'm sure the cake will be fine sitting out until they need it.....w/ all of the icing and such they're quite protected from the elements....just warn them of what could happen if they put it in the fridge...and they can judge it themselves

cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 4:09am
post #7 of 8

I agree.. you could warn them and let them make the decision. And yes, the cake sitting out for a few hours is less risky than refrigerating it. I only refrigerated it a few hours and experienced the bleeding image. icon_smile.gif

forheavenscake Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 1:19pm
post #8 of 8

Thanks everyone! I delivered the cake yesterday and gave them the option but advised that I thought it would be better to just leave it out. they said it held up perfect and tasted great!

I was also concerned cause I made a boston cream cake and then covered it in fondant, so wasn't too sure about how that would turn out! LOL

But they LOVED it!

Thanks again!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%