Cover A Monster Truck In Fondant-How Best To Do It?

Decorating By dawnstulee Updated 14 Nov 2009 , 4:25am by alidpayne

dawnstulee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dawnstulee Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 4:03am
post #1 of 2

i need to make the "tailgator" monster truck for delivery on saturday. i am freaking out! will be my first sale icon_biggrin.gif
i will be making a wood base for the truck body to sit on with pvc pipe attatched under for support w/ tires hiding it. but my ? is how to cover it w/ fondant smoothly and color it correctly. i want this cake to as perfect as possible (of course) and as close to the real thing as possible.
any ideas for the decorations would be so appreciated. i have so many times tried something that didn't work and wasted time but they were always give away cakes. this is paid for icon_surprised.gif so it has to be good...see i'm freaking out! i LOVE this site and everyone is so sweet and i know i'll get lots of help! it'll be like you guys are here to help me out! no one to help w/ clean up tho, huh? icon_lol.gif
here is a pic of the truck...thanks again...i'll post a pic on this topic and in my pics this weekend.
LL

1 reply
alidpayne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alidpayne Posted 14 Nov 2009 , 4:25am
post #2 of 2

My best advise if you want a perfectly smooth finish is to carve, crumbcoat, chill then cover in modeling chocolate. Then cover that with fondant. I use a greenish modeling chocolate then once the fondant is on I cut out the windows and let the greenish modeling chocolate show in those areas as the "glass" works great! The modeling chocolate is a lot easier to smooth and can be applied as thickly as needed to cover any lumps or bumps in the cake. It can also be sculpted easily to get the contours of the truck perfectly without extra carving of the cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%