Isomalt

Sugar Work By tvtorp Updated 21 Nov 2009 , 9:57am by Zem42

tvtorp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tvtorp Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 11:00pm
post #1 of 5

Does anyone know how to cook isomalt to hard candy stage without it turning amber color? Should I cook it at a lower temperature for a longer period?
I'm making small edible diamonds in a mold that I made myself. As the isomalt reached the hard candy stage it turned lightly amber. On the other hand I have the perfect topaz!

4 replies
bakingshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingshell Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 9:05am
post #2 of 5

Sorry, i haven't done this personally but i have seen a few others results and everything came out amber. i am not sure if it is possible to get it to stay clear.
if you find out please let me know.
Thanks

bakingshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingshell Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 9:10am
post #3 of 5

ok so i did some digging for ya and this is what i found check out this trend and see if it helps
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-645734.html

gibfalc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gibfalc Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 5:35pm
post #4 of 5

Sugar can easily brown like that but there is almost no way that isomalt will discolor at that low a temperature. Isomalt should not discolor until well over 450 degrees. I'm wondering did you add 10 % water to the isomalt when cooking? With sugar this often happens when the flame is too high and the sugar on the sides of the pot is getting cooked to a higher temperature than the rest of the sugar. maybe if you explain your cooking process I may notice what went wrong.

Zem42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zem42 Posted 21 Nov 2009 , 9:57am
post #5 of 5

You want to bring the isomalt to temp as fast as possible, cooking it slowly can brown the sugar before you come to temp. Are you using a glass thermometer or a digital one? Glass ones can be hard to read and if using a digital thermometer make sure it is calibrated. Remove the isomalt from the heat a few degrees before it comes to temp and shock the pan in cold water to stop the cooking process. As long as your temperatures are right you shouldn't have any problems!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%