Mexican Paste?

Decorating By sugarMomma Updated 17 Mar 2014 , 2:36pm by specialoccasionsuk

sugarMomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarMomma Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 10:57pm
post #1 of 11

What is the difference between that and regular gumpaste? What is it best suited for? I bought some to use for tappits because I hoped it would work better. Will it be better for my daisy plunger cutter?

10 replies
sugarMomma Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 1:04am
post #2 of 11

Has anyone out there tried mexican paste? I bought it at Global Sugar Art. I wanted Marcela Sanchez' flower paste but they were out.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 4:12am
post #3 of 11

It dries faster than gum paste, less sticky than gum paste, seems much less elastic, seems very sturdy once dried. As I understand it, it's used in place of gum paste in warm and/or humid climates.

I think Nick Lodge recommends it for use with patchwork cutters and tappits.

I think it's just a personal choice.

Rae

sugarMomma Posted 14 Nov 2009 , 6:13am
post #4 of 11

Thanks, I decided to try it for myself when nobody had an answer and you just described exactly what I experienced. Your description is dead-on, and it did work great with tappits.
For anyone who wants to know, it cures super hard and I thought it would be impossible to knead, but if you only do a bit at a time it works. And apparently it does not keep very long.
Next to try, Marcela Sanchez flower paste.....anyone have any insight?

wrightway777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wrightway777 Posted 14 Nov 2009 , 2:29pm
post #5 of 11

which recipe did you use for mexican paste? I've never made it and would love something better for the patchwork cutters I have. TIA

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 14 Nov 2009 , 2:42pm
post #6 of 11

i make it .. and use it on making people and etc .. in my pics.. the ace of cakes .. cake.. i used pastialage for that cake.. tables.. people, etc. i love working with it.. took a class several years ago. with mercedes.. can,t think of her last name.. i always use her recipe..love it..hth

wrightway777 Posted 15 Nov 2009 , 12:35pm
post #7 of 11

icer101 - I remember that cake....I think they actually showed it on the show (Ace of Cakes) or was it on their blog?

dsilvest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsilvest Posted 15 Nov 2009 , 12:56pm
post #8 of 11
wrightway777 Posted 15 Nov 2009 , 1:27pm
post #9 of 11

thanks dsilvest! Looks like a great recipe!
I looked around the site too and noticed that they suggest using isopropyl alcohol as glue (for their rose pic tutorial) ...umm....have they ever read the back of the rubbing alcohol bottle??!!?? It says not to be ingested will cause serious gastric disturbances...not to be used in place of grain alcohol...well it at least says that here in the States. I know that nobody eats gumpaste but you never know. Jeez! I think I will drop a quick e-mail to them to use vodka, gin or Everclear instead.

sugarMomma Posted 15 Nov 2009 , 5:03pm
post #10 of 11

Those are the ingredients, just PS and gum trag.? I have those on hand, yet I bought a 8 oz bag of mexican paste mix for 5 bucks from GSA...Wish I had inquired sooner. Oh well, live and learn. That's why I love this site, I learn so much from all of you!
Thanks for the recipe link dsilvest!

specialoccasionsuk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
specialoccasionsuk Posted 17 Mar 2014 , 2:36pm
post #11 of 11

Does anyone have the Marcela Sanchez flower paste recipe please?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%