Getting A 4" Tier

Decorating By SimplyIced Updated 17 Nov 2009 , 11:32pm by confectionsofahousewife

SimplyIced Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SimplyIced Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 9:36pm
post #1 of 42

Ok, maybe this is a silly question, but I have searched and searched and can't find a good answer. I know that I need to be getting 4" tiers, however, I'm using the wilton pans and I never get 4" tiers with two cake layers and one layer of filling. Do I need to be torting each of my two layers? So then it would be cake, filling, cake, filling, cake, filling, cake??? That seems like a lot of filling, but if it's what I need to do then I will do it! I just need some help from my CC friends!!! HELP please!! Thanks!

41 replies
all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 9:53pm
post #2 of 42

A 4" tier isn't as much a requirement as it is the 'norm'.

If your pans are true 2", baking strips help in getting the level of your baked cakes up to(and sometimes above...Indydebi had a great shot of her results). There's other ways of getting it to the top without that hump thing that happens. That would make your tiers actually taller than 4" after filling just the once then icing.

If your pans are 1 7/8" (a lot of so called 2" pans are in fact 1 7/icon_cool.gif. again, the baking strips will help give you nice, level, to-the-rim results...something as simple as filling your pans a bit more(or, if your cakes are falling in the centers...a bit less)....two of those layers along with minimal filling and then the icing should give you, still 4" or better.

What do your tiers normally measure?

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 10:06pm
post #3 of 42

To be sure your cakes rise to the top (or just slightly over the top edge) be sure you put enough batter in the pan.
Each pan, no matter the size/shape should be filled 2/3rds full of batter.
That means for 2" pans, the depth of the batter should be 1 1/4".
This will ensure your cake rises to a full 2" tall.
If it is over the top edge just use your cake saw to take off the extra OR
once it is out of the oven lay something flat on top and lightly but firmly press it down.
Bake at 325 degrees w/bake even strips helps too.
Can't afford bake even strips? Make your own by cutting an old towel into strips. Fold 2 or 3 times so they are 2" wide and long enough to go around the outside of the pan. Wet well but not dripping. Pin together so it is tight.

HarleyDee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HarleyDee Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 10:36pm
post #4 of 42

When I first started making cakes I thought it would be too much to torte each layer and fill. But the more I did it, the more I liked it. It really isn't that much more filling, especially if you just do like a thin layer in each layer. It doesn't have to be 1" of filling in every single layer.

AmandaGudi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmandaGudi Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 2:45pm
post #5 of 42

all4cake...do you know where the shot is of indydebi's cake?

all4cake Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 2:47pm
post #6 of 42

it'll take me a couple...bbiab...

all4cake Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 2:55pm
post #7 of 42

AmandaGudi, the images were in a thread about level layers/4" tiers....I haven't found it yet...it may have fallen victim to one of the site crashes. Try PMing indydebi to see if she still has them on her puter. I'll keep looking...

AmandaGudi Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 3:05pm
post #8 of 42

Thanks alot!

all4cake Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 3:15pm
post #9 of 42

It's looking like it went with the crash...february, 2008...sorry. she may still have the images though

Mug-a-Bug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mug-a-Bug Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 3:22pm
post #10 of 42

I was also wondering about getting 4" teirs. Don't you have to have 4" teirs in order to use the SPS system to avoid all that sawing? How do you get it exact after accounting for the space the filling adds? Also, a lot of the cakes I see look like they have taller teirs?? icon_confused.gif This is all so scientific!

all4cake Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 3:50pm
post #11 of 42

I'm no help with the sps...sorry.

all4cake Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 4:02pm
post #12 of 42

Daggumit! I can't find squat! I ordered, not too long ago, various lengths of support tubes...I can't remember from where though!

all4cake Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 4:05pm
post #13 of 42

http://cakedeco.com/cgi-bin/webc.cgi/st_main.html?p_catid=266&page=4

for use with the Coast plates only, I do believe. They are straight and rigid and evenly cut too...hth

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 4:48pm
post #14 of 42

HEre's a photo of the cake rising higher than the pan:

Also ..... 1" of filling? icon_eek.gif Guys, measure out 1" .... that's a LOT of filling! As the song says, "slip slidin' awa-a-a-a-a-ay". icon_lol.gif
LL

AmandaGudi Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 4:52pm
post #15 of 42

So that's a 2" pan? How high did you fill it with batter?

SimplyIced Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 4:56pm
post #16 of 42

WHOA! I don't use an 1" of filling. Holy cow that's a lot! I use the wilton pans, and I'm really thinking they aren't a true 2". I use the bake even strips, but maybe I'm not filling my pans full enough?? They do still dome though, they don't rise like Indydebi's picture above the sides. Hmmm.... I bake at 325 too.

Mug-a-Bug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mug-a-Bug Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 4:58pm
post #17 of 42

SO..... if I make two layers 2" exactly and add a normal amount of filling, will it be too tall???? Thanks for the pic Deb.

indydebi Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 5:03pm
post #18 of 42

It's a 2" pan. I grease NO FLOUR. cakes rise higher with no flour. I fill it at least 1/2 full or more. With the grease-no-flour, the batter is able to glide right up the sides of the pan. Flour, I have found in my 30 years of doing it this way, grabs onto the batter and holds it in place, preventing it from gliding up the side of the pan to a beautiful height. Baking strips and bake at 325, no matter what the size of hte cake pan.

all4cake Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 5:18pm
post #19 of 42

1" of filling? I may do more than one inch of filling...not icing...and it's divvied out between 4 layers...if it's icing only between the layers, I use, maybe, 1/8 inch and try to keep the external icing around 1/4 inch thick(less if covering with fondant).

I'll say it again indydebi, I love the look of your baked layers! (thanks for sharing another shot of one! The other thread is toast!)

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 6:29pm
post #20 of 42

With SPS your tier needs to be 4 - 4.25. You've got a little room to play with. If your design includes a really tall tier, remember that SPS also comes precut as 5", 7" and 9".

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 6:45pm
post #21 of 42

........How do you get it exact .........
You don't worry about being *exact* icon_smile.gif

two layers 2" exactly and add a normal amount of filling, will it be too tall???.........
No because most cakes settle some. As for 'normal' amount of filling - that is a different amount for each person.
If you torte each layer and put just a smear of filling on each it will probably be equal to 1" total used but won't make the cake over tall.

If using flavored buttercream as filling, yes one could put 1" of cake and 1" of icing/filling; repeat; repeat. You see this often on food challenges.

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 7:17pm
post #22 of 42

Rulers are pretty handy when it comes to getting exact with SPS. And remember, your board/foamcore can be 8 inches tall for all it matters, it's the space between that and the bottom of the SPS plate that counts. God I love SPS. After the six tier behemoth I did last weekend, SPS reaffirms just how fun it is to make monster huge cakes. icon_biggrin.gif

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 7:32pm
post #23 of 42

__Jamie__,
icon_smile.gif

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 7:34pm
post #24 of 42

Indydebi, do you just use shortening to grease? Do you use parchment on the bottom of the pans or just grease (only) the entire pan?

SimplyIced Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 8:17pm
post #25 of 42

Oh the things I learn on here! THANKS!! Ok-just to get this straight- Indydebi- no flour?? Hmm, maybe that's my problem, because I grease with Crisco then flour. I'm baking tonight, so you are telling me I don't need the flour??? Just crisco, even on the bottom?? I'm excited to try it!

Leah- You are the reason I'm asking this question...becuase I ordered the SPS last week to have on hand. I'm dying to do another tiered cake and I just want to have all this down beforehand. I know you always say bake to 4" and I wasn't quite getting 4" EVER.

I'm scared to just grease my pan....but 30 years is a lot of experience Indydebi! I trust ya!

indydebi Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 10:58pm
post #26 of 42

just grease ... no parchment. But a number of CC'ers say they grease the pans and use parchment with great results, so if you want to add the parchment, I say go for it!

I've given cake decorating demos at high schools and I've taken in cakes that were baked with and without flour to show them the height difference it makes. They particularly "ewwwwww!" 'd it when I peeled the flour film off of the cake.

SimplyIced Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 1:50am
post #27 of 42

I just did it your way and wow!!!! I did use parchmant only because it was before I saw your post. It's a little more crumbly than I'm used to but maybe I need to let it cool more before taking it out? Thank you so much!!

indydebi Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 2:08am
post #28 of 42

dont' be shy about greasing that pan. I see that with lots of folks who are in my kitchen helping me ...... they're afraid to grease up that pan.

alidpayne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alidpayne Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 2:10pm
post #29 of 42

I use cake release and my cakes bake up like indydebi's do. The key for me is to get the pans pretty full. 2/3 full will bake a good tall cake every time. I have never done the grease then flour thing so I have no input there...

khoudek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
khoudek Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 2:19pm
post #30 of 42

I use a 325 degree oven, pans are 2/3 full and I put in strips of parchment paper higher than the cake pan. Also, I don't have 3 inch pans and have found that if I need to bake a cake that requires that pan height I can cut the parchment higher, fill the pan with more batter and the end result is a cake that looks like it came from a 3 inch pan.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%