Smoothing Fondant

Decorating By bbfanny Updated 21 Jan 2010 , 2:49am by bbfanny

bbfanny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bbfanny Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 5:12am
post #1 of 5

Hello all,

I have purchased an impression matt for fondant. Plan to use it for an order this week. I have not tried it though and I was wondering, how do i smooth the fondant which has been "impressed", without ruining or flattening it.

Thanking all the guru's in advance icon_smile.gif

cheers

4 replies
wrightway777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wrightway777 Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 7:21am
post #2 of 5

Do you need the impression to cover the entire cake? Some wait to impression the sides of the cake once the fondant it is already on the cake and prepped (ie diamond patterns). A good quality fondant is majorly important. May I ask what type of fondant you are using?

Horselady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Horselady Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 12:59pm
post #3 of 5

I love my diamond impression mat, but have only used it after the fonant was on the cake.

I've only used it on satin ice but I still go over the lines with the end of a paint brush to make them more defined.

That said I'm using it on mmf this weekend so hopefully works ok!

sewgratefulquilts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sewgratefulquilts Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 1:07pm
post #4 of 5

Below is a pic of a cake that I used mmf fondant with an impression mat, placed it on the cake and then smooth it. No problem. I also used the mat on the ivory fondant. However, with the ivory, I didn't make sure the impression was sufficient on all of the fondant and it doesn't show up as well on the ivory.
LL

bbfanny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bbfanny Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 2:49am
post #5 of 5

Hello ladies,

so sorry for the long silence...

Thank you so much for the tips. FYI, over here, I mix and knead my own fondant. store-bought are just way too expensive.

Yes, I would like to cover the entire cake with the impressed fondant. I have yet to try it, just worry that once I smooth it (placed on the cake) the imprint will just get flatten, turn ugly n have to remove it and redo the whole thing..hahaha..Of course, as long as I have not try, I wont know.

Thanks again

fanny

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%