Mom Finally Asks Advice And Recipes...

Decorating By Kiddiekakes Updated 10 Nov 2009 , 9:49pm by indydebi

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 5:40pm
post #1 of 4

My mom and I have a great relationship but she has always been a bit critical of me whether weight,hair,makeup and finally when I took up caking 8 years ago (Which she never thought I would stick with or be any good at icon_rolleyes.gif) She is always saying how she hates my icing recipe..I use WBH all the time as that is what my customers want..she use regular crusting BC.She also has a home based wedding cake business.That's all she does..weddings,anniversary cakes,Birthday cakes for elderly people etc..she has had no formal training although that has nothing to do with anything since some of the best decoraters I have seen and admire were self taught as well. icon_wink.gif She makes no BC flowers or fondant embellishments...all her cakes have silk flowers and ribbons but nothing handmade...I do have to give her credit though as she is one of the best gumpast flowers artists that stem from her years as a ceramic teacher and award winner.The reason she doesn't offer that to brides is she says no one wants to pay the price for her to make gumpaste flowers so she doesn't bother.Lately though she has been phoning me asking silly questions and wanting my beloved WBH recipe which she makes no bones about saying how much she hates... icon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gif so why now....after 8 years of decorating and becoming quite passionate and good at what I do she finally said the other day that my cakes are really good and she is proud of me..WTH icon_confused.gif It just really bothers me that now she decides my work and recipes are good enough for her icon_mad.gif

Sorry about the rant but it bugs me..Is she finally jealous?

Laurel thumbs_up.gif

3 replies
WendyB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WendyB Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 6:19pm
post #2 of 4

Even if it is jealousy it is also a compliment to what you do. She wouldnt want to copy anything youre doing if she didnt think it was good. On the one hand shes making snarky comments but asking for recipes is most defiantly a compliment.

See if you can turn your thinking around and realize that she has just offered you the highest praise!

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 9:17pm
post #3 of 4

Why should it bug you? She's getting older, she's changing.
Others may be complimenting your icing in front of her. Even if she personally doesn't like it, others do so she's curious.
Would you rather she tell you she's ashamed of the product you make, rather than you're doing a good job and she's proud of you?
Let her change for the better, please.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 9:49pm
post #4 of 4

what 7yyrt said. We have lots of stories on here about crazy and unsupportive moms. Accept it for what it is .... a compliment.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%