Wedding Vs Party Cake Contract

Business By chasley101 Updated 10 Nov 2009 , 10:22pm by indydebi

chasley101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chasley101 Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 3:48pm
post #1 of 7

I am needing some advice.

Do you have a contract just for wedding cakes or party cakes as well? I am wanting one for both but I'm not exactly sure how to seperate the two. Or if I should just have one and have them initial next to the statements that apply.

The reason I'm asking is because I just had a mess with a customer. She had told me all along she needed the cake for the 11th. I have it in a facebook email and written down everywhere that she told me. (I'm home based so for party cakes I haven't done any type of written consent.) Well luckily my mom works with this lady and the two of them were talking about it. My mom told the lady I was planning on the 11th. The lady freaked out and said oh no I need it for the 7th! So I called the lady and said, you told me the 11th, blah, blah, blah. She said oh I am so sorry I don't know what I was thinking when I told you the 11th, I need it for the 7th. She told me this on the 3rd. This wasn't just a sheet cake. This was a 2 tier fondant present cake. (in pictures). It wouldn't have been too big of a deal but I already had a promo deal going on that weekend. Needless to say I was a little upset!

With all of that said, I'm just wondering how or even if the two contracts need to be different.

Thanks!

6 replies
KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 3:55pm
post #2 of 7

I currently don't have a "contract" for party cakes, I do require that all cakes over $100.00 be paid in full before delivery (like the wedding cakes), but that's it.

On the other hand, I avoid the confusion you're talking about because as soon as someone orders a cake (even if it's a $20.00 cake) I enter it into my Cake Boss computer program and email them an invoice with all the information and tell them to check it and make sure it's correct, once they send me back an ok email I then print the two out and staple them and put them in a file. Then if there is any controversy I've got the invoice with the email from them saying everything looks correct!

chasley101 Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 4:08pm
post #3 of 7

KHalstead - thank you so much! I don't feel a contract is needed but I didn't know how else to do it. In fact I think a contract is way too much or party cakes. The invoice is a good idea! I don't have CAKE BOSS but I'm thinking I should get it! It would definitely help the professionalism aspect! thanks again!

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 4:19pm
post #4 of 7

http://images.google.com/images?gbv=2&hl=en&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial&sa=1&q=free+invoice+template&aq=f&oq=&aqi=g1&start=0

here's a bunch of listings for free invoice templates. Maybe you could download one and put your info on it and save it and then use it until you get cake boss?

HTH

chasley101 Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 4:39pm
post #5 of 7

oh my gosh you are amazing!! thank you!!!!!

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 9:54pm
post #6 of 7

I call all cakes special occassion cakes. Doesn't matter if it's a wedding or a birthday. It makes it easier to have one contract and figure out pricing.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 10:22pm
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBellaFlor

I call all cakes special occassion cakes. Doesn't matter if it's a wedding or a birthday. It makes it easier to have one contract and figure out pricing.

ditto.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%