3 Fillings In 1 Cake?

Decorating By KristyCakes Updated 11 Nov 2009 , 7:48am by JanH

KristyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KristyCakes Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 3:26am
post #1 of 8

I'm planning to make a spice cake and was thinking of adding multiple fillings. Is it popular to add 3 different fillings to a torted cake?
I thought the spice cake would be good with apple pastry filling, caramel buttercream and maybe cream cheese pastry filling. But really, don't know if this will be too much? Maybe it's best to stick with only 2 fillings (2 of one flavor and then one other?) Thanks in advance for any advice.

7 replies
LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 3:34am
post #2 of 8

Yes, people do use three fillings and yes, that sounds really good! icon_biggrin.gif

auntmamie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntmamie Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 3:34am
post #3 of 8

A spice cake has so much flavor already, I really think that just one flavor is necessary. If you want to go for two, I would use a thin layer of cream cheese and a thin layer of apple or caramel, for each layer of cake. But not a different flavor for each layer.

KristyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KristyCakes Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 6:16pm
post #4 of 8

Thanks! I think I'm going to try it LaBellaFlor! I think getting 3 different flavors in one piece of cake sounds good, but don't want to junk-up what I hope will be a beautiful cake!!! icon_smile.gif

JawdroppingCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JawdroppingCakes Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 9:09pm
post #5 of 8

I think the combos you have posted sound delish and I would definitely try them!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 9:50pm
post #6 of 8

In the few times that I do tort, I usually do more than just one flavor of filling. Those that you listed go very well together anyway so I think it will be great. (I mean, you're not using any weird freaky flavors! dunce.gif )

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 6:55am
post #7 of 8

I think those flavors sound fantastic together, and I myself have been known to use 3 fillings in a cake, or at least 2 fillings plus the icing.

That said, I agree with the pp about the cake ITSELF having so much flavor, that the multiple fillings might be overkill. I did a delicious banana-apple cake for Fall last year, which of course had some spices in it (nutmeg, cinnamon) and paired it with a ganache, caramel, and cream cheese IMBC. It was good but you know what, it was too much. You couldn't taste the cake, yet at the same time the flavors of the cake competed with the deliciousness of the fillings. I prefer the multiple fillings on a simpler flavor of cake. JMO!

So by adding my dissenting opinion here I think you are realizing that the answer to your question is: do what you want! icon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gif

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 7:48am
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceshell

... I agree with the pp about the cake ITSELF having so much flavor, that the multiple fillings might be overkill...

I prefer the multiple fillings on a simpler flavor of cake. JMO!

So by adding my dissenting opinion here I think you are realizing that the answer to your question is: do what you want! icon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gif

thumbs_up.gifbirthday.gificon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%