Red Velvet Cupcakes- Any Good Recipes?

Baking By rhopar33 Updated 17 Nov 2009 , 1:48am by jeaneve25

rhopar33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rhopar33 Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 12:51pm
post #1 of 15

I am making 250 red velvet cupcakes for someone for a Decembert wedding. I have a really delicious Red Velvet Cake recipe but for some reason it does not bake up well as a cupcake.

Does anyone have a quick and easy recipe that works really well as a cupcake? I really appreciate it!!

Thanks,
Rhonda

14 replies
Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 1:11pm
post #2 of 15

Yup..it's called Duncan Hines...Kidding..but if you are really in a bind..DH makes a really nice red velvet mix and it tastes good...Sometimes the scratch mixes taste like food coloring due to the amount you need to make it red.

jeaneve25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jeaneve25 Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 1:34pm
post #3 of 15

I LOVE This recipe...and it makes delish cupcakes. Let me know how it works for you if you decide to use it. Also, one tweak....I only use 2 oz. of red color and add 2 TBSP of water to compensate for the missing ounce...this is more than enough. I also use 1/4 cup of cocoa and add another 1/4 cup of flour. Perhaps I should add this to the recipe pool!

http://smittenkitchen.com/2007/09/red-velvet-cake/

rhopar33 Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 1:53pm
post #4 of 15

Jeaneve25 , I just tried that link and it seems to be broken. Can you post the recipe?

My current recipe happens to be a doctored Duncan Hines and it is absolutely delicious but when I bake it as cupcakes, they sink in the middle when cooled.

rhopar33 Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 5:49pm
post #5 of 15

Anyone else? Any good recipes for Red Velvet cupcakes?

ambernd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ambernd Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 5:57pm
post #6 of 15

I use cake man raven's recipe off of the food network site. I have yet to find anyone who does not like them! I had never even liked red velvet myself until I tried it and it was so good!

SharonK1973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SharonK1973 Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 5:57pm
post #7 of 15

Southern red Velvet cake! Off the foodnetwork website! I make cupcakes with it all the time!

niccicola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
niccicola Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 6:00pm
post #8 of 15

http://www.marthastewart.com/recipe/red-velvet-cupcakes

I use that recipe for all of my red velvet requests. It's the only scratch recipe (besides Lemon) that I make; everything else is DH.

Never tried it with cupcakes, but I don't see why it wouldn't work.

I use one box of red food coloring. It's the water-based kind made by McCormick.

Butterfly325 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Butterfly325 Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 2:20am
post #9 of 15

We had a bake sale at work and one of the girls made cupcakes using paula deen's recipe. I didnt try it, but everyone seemed to love it and it was a really pretty color.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paula-deen/grandmother-pauls-red-velvet-cake-recipe/index.html

I think this is the one. Good luck!

Butterfly325 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Butterfly325 Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 2:22am
post #10 of 15

We had a bake sale at work and one of the girls made cupcakes using paula deen's recipe. I didnt try it, but everyone seemed to love it and it was a really pretty color.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paula-deen/grandmother-pauls-red-velvet-cake-recipe/index.html

I think this is the one. Good luck!

msulli10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msulli10 Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 2:29am
post #11 of 15

I agree with Kiddiekakes - DH makes a good red velvet cake mix. I use this for the doctored cake mix (WASC but start with the red velvet). It is very moist and bakes well as cupcakes. And it's a nice deep red color. You have a lot of cupcakes to make and this would be foolproof - no messing around with red food coloring, vinegar and cocoa powder.

Jenthecakelady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenthecakelady Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 2:35am
post #12 of 15

I made these a few weeks ago and topped them with cream cheese BC. They were delicious! Start with a DH red velvet mix, sift together with a chocolate pudding mix, add in remaining ingredients called for on the box with one additional egg. They baked up beautifully! Good luck!

edited to add: I have also made this with buttermilk in place of the water and it was rich and delicious!

KrissieCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KrissieCakes Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 2:51am
post #13 of 15

Pink Cake Box's red velvet cupcake recipe is unbelievable! I LOVE them! It is listed in the recipe section on pinkcakebox.com.

chestercheeto Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chestercheeto Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 2:54am
post #14 of 15

i've baked this recipe as cupcakes and have gotten good feedback.

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/7377/sarahs-red-velvet-cake-tweaked

jeaneve25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jeaneve25 Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 1:48am
post #15 of 15

Sorry this is soooo late. However this recipe is so delish...I am going to post it anyways! I would love to know how it works for you if you do try it.

Red Velvet Cake
3 cake layers

3 3/4 cups sifted cake flour
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa (not Dutch process)
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
2 cups canola oil
2 1/4 cups granulated sugar
3 large eggs
"4 tablespoons (2 ounces) red food coloring plus 2 tablespoons of water" or "1 teaspoon red gel food coloring dissolved in 6 tablespoons of water"
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
1 1/4 cups buttermilk
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 1/2 teaspoons white vinegar

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare 3 round 9 inch pans (grease and flour). I have also baked in 2 10 inch pans

2. Whisk cake flour, cocoa and salt in a bowl.

3. Place oil and sugar in bowl of an electric mixer and beat at medium speed until well-blended. Beat in eggs one at a time. With machine on low, very slowly add red food coloring. (Take care: it may splash.) Add vanilla. Add flour mixture alternately with buttermilk in two batches. Scrape down bowl and beat just long enough to combine.

4. Place baking soda in a small dish, stir in vinegar and add to batter with machine running. Beat for 10 seconds.

5. Divide batter among pans, place in oven and bake until a cake tester comes out clean, 40 to 45 minutes. Cool completely before frosting.

Cupcake variation: The yield is approximately 35 cupcakes, with the liners filled only 3/4 of the way, and the baking time should be between 20 to 25 minutes, but check in on them 2/3 of the way through in case your oven gets the job done faster.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%