Need To Find Work And Getting Very Stressed Out!

Lounge By G_Cakes Updated 9 Nov 2009 , 9:38pm by TheCakerator

G_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
G_Cakes Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 10:08am
post #1 of 7

Ok this is just me venting of course, but I am feeling stressed beyond words here.

I was laid off from a very well paying job in March of 2009. I was working by-Law enforcement and loved what I did even though the job was very stressful in itself.

I broke my ankle just the same day I was laid off (running down the stairs to get the dreaded call) LOL.

I figured no biggy, I am sure I will find work in my field after my ankle heals up.

Well, I applied for many different positions in Law Enforcement and security and the one thing I kept getting was about my age (I am 45) and it was a concern for most potential employers because the work I was applying for was very physically demanding.

I totally get there point of view cause they can hire someone half my age with double my stamina at half the rate.

So I figure I have some time to sit and figure things out, take a look at if this is the right time for me to make a career change...I was collecting unemployment and they are willing to pay for me to go back to school and take training for a new career...WHOO HOO!

I decided that I wanted to do something I truly love, baking and cake decorating...it's always been a great way for me to unwind and I am always looking for reasons to bake; so why not do something I love!

Well the only accredited school that I could apply to is not taking any new students until September 2010, unemployment says the wait is to long that I am going to have to find another accredited school if I want to pursue a career as a pastry chef.

The only problem is there are no other accredited schools, Lots of private schools that are not accredited so I cant go there!

This dilemma has been haunting me since June! The counselor I was dealing with decided to go ahead and ask the government to consider my application for a private un-accredited school in hopes that they might say yes considering that there is only one school in the area that I could apply to that was not taking anyone until the following year.

My unemployment just ran out November 1st, but I have been actively looking for work since September and my councilors urging just in case they said no...and I have yet to find a job! I have done cold calls, registered with online job search sites and local employment agencies.

I keep getting that I am "OVER QUALIFIED".... icon_confused.gif and that they would not be able to pay me per my skill level. So hire me anyways I am a bargain!!!

Well I just got an email this morning from my counselor saying the they said no to my situation as far as going to a private school! They are still willing to pay for me to go to school but that I should consider a different career path, something suited more to my skill set.

So I decided to become a Community Support Worker (CSW) and will pick up my letter of acceptance later today. But my start date is not until March!

So I have to find someone who is willing to hire me until I go back to school!

At this point I have been applying for any type of work, cleaners, cashier, waitress anything at all. But no luck yet.

Bills are coming in, Christmas is around the corner, and school is 4 months away!

What am I going to do?????? Heck at this point if someone offered me work at minimum age shoveling manure I would jump all over it!

(ok deep breathe)

Ok thats my rant, sorry bout it being so long, just worried and needed to get it all out there.

If anyone is hiring in Durham Region (Ontario Canada) or knows of any employment opportunities kindly drop me a message and save me from going completely grey LOL

6 replies
Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 1:06pm
post #2 of 7

I know it is really hard..Hang in there.It is bad here in Alberta..no one is hiring and everyone is laying off in the oil patch.I am lucky enough hubby isn't in oil so he still has a job.Many places may be hiring for the holiday season so keep trying..especially at the malls etc...Good Luck!

G_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
G_Cakes Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 1:54pm
post #3 of 7

Thanks Kiddiekakes...I know I will find something...just tired of hearing that I am over qualified or that they could pay me what I would be worth!

So frustrating, to think that all my years of education and experience are working against me at this point.

Im glad your hubby still has his job...my hubby has his too but it's adjusting to the one income when your expenses (mortgage and utilities) are based on a 2 income family.

At least I am gonna get the chance to go back to school...guess I just needed to vent and get it off my chest .

Thanks again for the encouragement guess I just needed a nudge out of my pity party LOL

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 2:12pm
post #4 of 7

No Worries...I totally understand...Hubby and I have been struggling financially for the last 5 years..(Debt)...I am a SAHM and the one income is not enough but we make ends meet...We have gone over the numbers many times and it just isn't worth it to go to wok PT or FT as we would be paying before and after school care for the kids and the going rate is $950.00 a month for two.Most of the jobs pay $15.00 or slightly higher and by the time income taxes are taken off and you pay the dayhome fees....you might be lucky to take home $200.00 and my kids well being isn't worth an extra $200.00 a month.I'd rather stay home and know they are safe and happy.. but that doesn't mean we haven't struggled and suffered financially over the past years either...Calgary has become a very expensive city to live in the past 8 years.What used to cost me $400.00 every two weeks at the grocery store,now is $600.00 and that is no extras....I 've considered delivering papers,flyers and of course my cakes but even they have slowed right down.I guess we just have to hang in there and hope the economies get better..I know they are already inproving here in Canada much faster than the US and at least out housing is back on the rise.Never as bad as everywhere else so I am Thankful for that.

suz3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suz3 Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 2:21pm
post #5 of 7

I was out of work once and looking for anything. I heard that I was "overqualified". I wanted a low stress job and finally was offered a job handing out numbers in the dressing room of a retail store. I was at this job 9 months and made store manager. I'm so sorry this is happening to you. I also have family members out of work as I'm sure most people have right now. I hope and pray this gets better for everyone.

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 5:25pm
post #6 of 7

I so pray you find something. I feel you on the this is my income, but this is what income my bills are based off. We have had SEVERAL companies go out of busniess here. I mean BIG companies that employee in the thousands! In fact, there is another one about to shut down. But there is a little light. There is a Rolls Royce plant that should be opneing up next year & DuPont was able to avoid the lay-offs they were planning on. I juat feel so bad for everyone. Our income is a third of what it was,b ut we are STILL doing better then other people we know.

TheCakerator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakerator Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 9:38pm
post #7 of 7

I'm sorry you are struggling with this. Here in MI people need to look up the definition of a "JOB" it's been so long since people have had one! With the "big three" stationed here in MI when one plant closes down or lays off people it dwindles down to the smallest shops which in turn effects thousands of workers, not just the 100 one of the big three laid off. Every bill that comes in the mail makes me cringe and every night my DH comes home from work and has to go back the next day deserves praise to God. I hope you find something soon.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%