Thinking Of Moving To The Midwest...

Lounge By auntmamie Updated 20 Nov 2009 , 1:41am by ccordes

auntmamie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntmamie Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 10:48pm
post #1 of 23

I'm sick of living in VT. I've been told, so often lately, that I'm not "marraigable", ugly, stupid, not good enough, that I'm getting so sick of hearing it! I'm not a drinker - and that is apparently a bad thing since I'm 27. I want to buy my own house someday, but can't because of the cost up here - $225k for a 2br ranch, well under 1000sq ft. I support the military - and that makes me odd. icon_confused.gif I'm just so frustrated up here.....

For a long time, I've wondered what it would be like living in the midwest. Not to be stereotypical, but I've heard that it's a slower life, neighbors actually care about each other, and there is generally a sense of community.

I'm looking around Illinois, Iowa or Indiana - but not Chicago. Probably not Indianapolis. Small city/large town feel.

Who lives out there? who can give me advice?

22 replies
cabecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cabecakes Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 11:27pm
post #2 of 23

First off, what kind of moron says something like that. Who tells someone they are not "marriageable". Second off, you have a right to your own politics regardless of what they are. What the heck! I don't think I would want to live anywhere like that either. The only problem with moving is finding work in the area you are moving to. Here in Ohio, the job situation is bleek at best. Sorry to hear that the people there are such a$$e$.

mommicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommicakes Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 11:34pm
post #3 of 23

Vermont is a life all of it's own. It could be difficult, and yes, there are total buttwipes here in this state.

I am sorry you are feeling this way. Hope that you find the information you are looking for and weigh all your options before you just head west. icon_smile.gif

Good luck.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 11:38pm
post #4 of 23

Even tho' I live in Indpls, there are LOTS of small surrounding towns that are super great to live in. And seriously, Indpls is just a bunch of "small towns" all bunched together!

"Hoosier Hospitality" is a very real thing. Yeah, we DO wave at perfect strangers driving down the road! icon_biggrin.gif

I was at a Chamber meeting this past Thursday and the speaker was from the Indiana Econ Devlp Dept. He has been to Japan a number of times. I discovered Indiana is 2nd only to Calif with Japanese companies. The Japanese rotate their nationals every 2-4 years to their American plants. Indiana's reputation in Japan is that we Hoosiers make the Japanese feel VERY welcome and comfortable in the small and med size towns that they come to. The Japanese companies say it makes it easy for them to do business in Indiana because they never have to "TRY" to get their employees to come over here.

PM me .... I can give you small town details!

dailey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dailey Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 1:46am
post #5 of 23

i live in a small town in Indiana, (NWI) about 50 minutes from chicago. i love it : )

kjt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjt Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 3:45am
post #6 of 23

auntmamie,
First of all, I don't live in the midwest, so I can't speak for that part of the country. But in a small town in the South you'd fit right in; I'd just like to invite you down here...you sound like a perfectly lovely young lady with lots to offer ANYONE! If somebody stops their car to talk nobody honks. We applaud (I mean literally CLAP) for service people down here! Come on down, you'll fit in just fine. Seriously, tho, sounds like you could use some new friends/acquaintances/co-workers. I commend you for having the guts to consider making such a move.
Good for you girl! thumbs_up.gif

saffronica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saffronica Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 4:41am
post #7 of 23

I grew up in Iowa, and it was a great place to live. Now I live in Utah, and if you're a military-supporting non-drinker you'd fit right in here!

Whether you go or stay, you need to find some new people to hang out with. NO ONE has the right to talk to you that way.

Good luck!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 4:47am
post #8 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by saffronica

Whether you go or stay, you need to find some new people to hang out with. NO ONE has the right to talk to you that way.

Good luck!

Here Here!! thumbs_up.gif

emrldsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emrldsky Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 1:55pm
post #9 of 23

I grew up in Gary, IN, but don't move there. lol I'm now living in West Lafayette, which is the home of the Purdue Boilermakers! It's MUCH MUCH better than where I grew up (no offense to anyone still living there, but it was rough).

No matter where you end up, remember that you are your own person and NO ONE can tell you what to do in your life. icon_wink.gif

suz3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suz3 Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 2:30pm
post #10 of 23

Mean people suck. It is hard for me to believe that people can be so mean to each other. I'm in Tulsa OK. Life is pretty good here. Jobs not too plentiful but it's that way everywhere. The cost of living is good. Hope you find some place that is a perfect fit for you.

kjt Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 5:09pm
post #11 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by suz3

Hope you find some place that is a perfect fit for you.

icon_wink.gif ditto!

saffronica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saffronica Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 6:00pm
post #12 of 23

I firmly believe that happiness relates to your state of mind, not the state you live in. A move might be just what you need, I don't know, I just hope you won't count on suddenly having all your problems solved because you live in a new place.

Anyway, I read this article today and it reminded me of this thread. I thought you might find it interesting.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/livescience/20091110/sc_livescience/happieststatesarewealthyandtolerant

Suzycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Suzycakes Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 9:03pm
post #13 of 23

Sounds like you need to take a road trip and explore the midwest/southern hospitality. Get a list of cities to visit from the PP here and see what you find. Do you have a 'real job' or are you a baker/chef/decorator only? Go online to the newspapers in these towns and check out the want ads and see who is hiring.

I am in SE Missouri - not much hiring going on here - unless you are medical or agricultural. But I have lived small town all my life - and we know how to treat our neighbors and friends! We will support our neighbors and friends even if we disagree on politics and the enlisted. I know there are better places to shop, eat, tour, visit, etc in the big towns - but give me the small towns any day!!

One of my best friends just had to move to mid-Missouri due to her DH job transfer and they bought a very, very nice house (2,500+ sq ft living w/pool) in a nice subdivision - had the moving truck out front for 4 days - activity in and out for over a week moving in -and not one person stopped to say hello, waved, welcome or 'brought over a casserole'!! But here in my small town we would have been by made them feel at home.

Take Indydebi up on her offer - I just visited that area a couple of months ago and it is beautiful there (I was in Edinburgh). Talk to Leahs - she is is Louisville - just 2 hours away, visit Georgia - maybe this is God's way of saying "I'm leading you - follow me!".

Good luck and keep us posted.

Suze

auntmamie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntmamie Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 1:59am
post #14 of 23

Thanks so much for all the support! This is really something to think about. And I do have a real job - I'm an accountant in Insurance, studying for my CPA exam

Suzycakes - I think you said it best "maybe this is God's way of saying "I'm leading you - follow me!"

I'll keep everyone posted

JodieF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JodieF Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 2:48am
post #15 of 23

I'm on the Illinois side of St. Louis. I can be downtown in 15 minutes, so get to enjoy all the benefits of a major city....the theater, museums, zoo, restaurants, the Cardinals!, but I live in a fairly small town of 25,000. My house is 4 bedrooms, about 2300 square feet, and would sell for $185K or so. The biggest downside....welllllll.....our summers can be pretty fierce, unless you love heat and humidity, but that's what there's AC for.

PM me if you want to come visit! My daughter is 26, so you wouldn't have to hang out with old folks!

Jodie

Lcubed82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lcubed82 Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 6:19am
post #16 of 23

Jodie where are you? I am in Glen Carbon!

JodieF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JodieF Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 5:08pm
post #17 of 23

Linda...I'm in Collinsville! Hi neighbor!

Jodie

Lcubed82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lcubed82 Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 7:55pm
post #18 of 23

It's a small world!

Pookie59 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pookie59 Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 10:57pm
post #19 of 23

I read this post this morning and it still irks me that someone told you that you weren't marriage material. How downright rude and mean was that? There is someone out there for everyone and how a person looks (and you look just fine) does not not always have a huge bearing on their ability to find a spouse. I grew up in a family that focused way too much on external beauty (or the lack thereof) - what a screwed up bunch they are. Sure made me feel like the ugly duckling until I realized that their thinking was skewed.

So, if that's the way they think where you live, I'd catch the next bus out. Who needs all those negative vibes.

nannie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nannie Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 2:34am
post #20 of 23

firstly, just ignore those nasty people. anyone who would say anything that mean is ugly inside.

Don't rule out Chicgo icon_cry.gif I live in a suburb just north. Feels like a small town yet there is all the big city stuff just half hour away.

I agree, take a road trip, you'll find some place just right or maybe decide to stay put an find better people to associate with. icon_lol.gif

kjt Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 10:04pm
post #21 of 23

auntmamie,
You have been on my mind the past couple of days...just wondering how you are. icon_smile.gif
Kathy

Callyssa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Callyssa Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 11:14pm
post #22 of 23

First of all, you are ADORABLE!! I can NOT get my brain around the idea that anyone would ever say you were 'ugly', and honestly, even if someone didn't have the most attractive features (I am just talking about anyone in general), who could be such an a$$ to tell them that?! Unfortunately, we were not all born 'beautiful', but even then, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Come to Texas!! There are plenty of friendly, warm places to live where you won't be made to feel this way, and it's one of the best states in the country for jobs right now. And there's lots of cute guys too! LOL

I'm really sad that we live in such a society where people can be so mean to each other and not have guilt or remorse for it. Good luck in your choice, and if you decide to check it out here let me know, I can always use new friends! icon_wink.gif

ccordes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccordes Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 1:41am
post #23 of 23

I grew up in Nebraska and a couple of years ago we moved to the East Coast. I am so ready to go back. I hate that I'll get weird looks when I smile or say hi to strangers. My son (who was 4 at the time) even got a dirty look from a mom at the park when he asked if her little girl was ok after she fell down! Who does that to a little kid?! icon_confused.gif

Anyway, Omaha and Lincoln are both awesome places and have the big city feel with small town atmosphere. Not nearly as big as Indy or Chicago, but still big enough. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%