Clarify Copyrights For Me?

Decorating By bricker Updated 8 Nov 2009 , 1:38am by littlecake

bricker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bricker Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 12:57am
post #1 of 3

I understand that we are not allowed to sell licensed character cakes to the general public, in other words, I can't buy a Disney character pan and make the cake and sell it. Same holds true for the little licensed toys I guess. What I don't get is that I read somewhere that if you buy the pans or frosting sheets from a licensed dealer then you can sell them. This doesn't make sense to me; can someone please explain the difference?

Also, if I buy an icing sheet from a company, let's say, just a generic pirate ship, can I put that on a cake and sell it?

I'd really like to get this settled in my mind so that I don't make and sell things that I am not suppposed to.

Thanks!
bricker

2 replies
karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 1:17am
post #2 of 3

If it's generic....say a boat or a car, but not a name brand...say a "Volvo" then you don't have to pay royalties to use the image. But if making a cake that is a "Ferrari" you would have to have permission from Ferrari to replicate their image (body design and logo) in order to sell it.

On the upside, I've requested permission for this sort of thing and received it. I've written the copyright holder for Star Trek, University of Michigan, and one other university I can't remember, Thomas the Tank Engine, Saturn....got permission each time. I couldn't display the Star Trek one on my website, but could sell the cake. All the others gave permission to sell and display.

So sometimes all you have to do is ask. I wouldn't depend on a positive answer from Disney, though.

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 1:38am
post #3 of 3

you can't draw or print copyrighted items...you can buy the little figures and do what you please with them, (the company got paid when you bought them)

decopac sells cake kits, you can buy some of the kits they sell from ebay....decopac ponly sells directly to peeps in da biz.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%