Question About Carved Cakes

Decorating By katielb Updated 7 Nov 2009 , 1:23am by Kitagrl

katielb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katielb Posted 7 Nov 2009 , 1:20am
post #1 of 2

Firstly, my apologies if this question has been asked before...i did search the forums but i didnt see the answer so if there is a topic already - please feel free to direct me to it icon_smile.gif

Ok, so what im after is advice on a carved cake. I have two to do for the same weekend. They arent overly difficult shapes however my question is what is the best method?

The cakes are for 2 1 year olds so its chocolate cake with a simple filling such as a custard/mousse. Should I 1) chill, carve the cakes into desired shape then fill or 2) fill the cake, chill and then carve?

My concern is freezing the filling. Is there a general rule of thumb when it comes to freezing filled cakes, should some fillings NEVER be frozen??

Thanks in advance icon_biggrin.gif

1 reply
Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 7 Nov 2009 , 1:23am
post #2 of 2

I would chill the cakes....then carve....then fill. Because if you fill before you carve, then you will cut off the icing dam you put on it.

I don't fill most 3D cakes other than with buttercream...but if you are doing a flat cut out shape it will be fine if you cut it first....then use an icing dam and fill like usual.

Cutting a cold, but not frozen, cake is easiest.

Good luck! (Oh and I generally don't freeze filled cakes.)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%