What's The Best Home Made Fondant Recipe?

Decorating By Cuti Updated 5 Nov 2009 , 12:51pm by ctirella

Cuti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cuti Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 3:47pm
post #1 of 22

I have 4 orders for this weekend and I just figure it out that I don't have enough Satin Ice,
It's the first time that I'm going to make and cover a cake with home made fondant, and I really need your advice on which recipe is the one that works the best for you.

Thanks

21 replies
letsgetcaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
letsgetcaking Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 3:58pm
post #2 of 22

My favorite recipe is Rhonda's Ultimate MMF. Here's the link:

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/3183/rhondas-ultimate-mmf

It is pliable and easy to work with. It also tastes really good! I've made it without the lemon extract (substituting almond extract) and that was delicious, too! Good luck!

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 4:07pm
post #3 of 22

I just use the very basic MMF: 2lbs powdered sugar, 1lb marshmallows, 4 tablespoons water, crisco to grease hands and work surface or bowl and hook.

Melt marshmallows in the microwave with the water, stirring every 30 seconds. When they're completely melted, pour them into a well-greased bowl on your Kitchen Aid. Sift the powdered sugar on top of the marshmallows, then use the dough hook on the lowest speed until it's well mixed up. Turn out onto a greased mat and knead a couple of times, then shape into a ball and give it a very thin coat of Crisco. Wrap in plastic wrap, put it in a ziplock bag, and let it rest on your countertop overnight.

Teekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Teekakes Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 4:09pm
post #4 of 22

My favorite is Michele Fosters Fondant. It is easy, has never failed me, and the taste is delicious! You can add white chocolate to it for a scrumptious White Chocolate Fondant! Here is the link to her recipe; http://cakecentral.com/recipes/7446/michele-fosters-fondant

caseyhayes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caseyhayes Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 4:20pm
post #5 of 22

Relax it's easy and quite delicious! The flavorings in this really added to the taste. My fondant naysayers are finally coming aroundicon_smile.gif

1/4 cup vegetable shortening (Crisco)
1 pound of white mini marshmallows
1 teaspoon clear vanilla flavor
1 teaspoon butter flavor
2 tablespoons water 2 pounds powdered sugar

Grease the inside of a large microwavable bowl with solid vegetable shortening
ut marshmallows, flavorings, and water into the bowl. Microwave on high for 60 seconds. If marshmallows are completely melted, youre ready to move on. If not, stir and return them back into the microwave for 30-second intervals stirring after each - until the marshmallows are completely melted.
Put powdered sugar into large mixing bowl. Fit stand mixer with dough hook. (If not using a stand mixer, use a wooden spoon.)
Add liquefied marshmallow mixture to powdered sugar. Process at low speed un- til well incorporated, then turn speed up slightly and allow dough hook to knead mixture until sugar is fully blended into the liquid.Turn your Fondant out onto your work surface that has been dusted with equal parts of cornstarch and powdered sugar. Make sure your hands are well dusted too. (If fondant is still sticky, knead in some more powdered sugar.)
Knead fondant into a loaf. Wrap it tightly in plastic wrap and let cool for at least one hour before using.To store fondant, wrap in plastic wrap and then put it in a re-sealable plastic bag. Squeeze out as much air as possible. Marshmallow Fondant will keep very well in the refrigerator for weeks. HTH!!!!

cookie_fun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookie_fun Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 6:08pm
post #6 of 22

I just made 2 batches of fondant to try out. One is Macsmom's MMF and the other is MFF. I can tell you I have tried to make MMF in the past and I've had failed attempts where I had to throw the whole batch out.
The MMF recipe that I used this time has glycerine in it and I can tell you it made all the difference in the consistency.

The MFF was a few more steps, but the feel of it was excellent when I was done. I had to let it rest last night, but I'll be using that one today to see who it goes.

Both of them tasted excellent too!

grandmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grandmom Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 6:12pm
post #7 of 22

My favorite is MFF.

TexasTea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasTea Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 6:31pm
post #8 of 22

I can't believe how much less it costs to make fondant rather than buying it! I always buy too much, because I don't want to run out in the middle of decorating a cake and then the amount left over dries out before I need it again, so it's just wasted money. I am definitely going to make a batch of MMF and give it a try.

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 6:36pm
post #9 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teekakes

My favorite is Michele Fosters Fondant. It is easy, has never failed me, and the taste is delicious! You can add white chocolate to it for a scrumptious White Chocolate Fondant! Here is the link to her recipe; http://cakecentral.com/recipes/7446/michele-fosters-fondant

Ditto. I moved up from MMF to this awhile back.

wildwolves Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wildwolves Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 6:36pm
post #10 of 22

What is MFF?? icon_confused.gif sorry still getting used to all the abbreviations .

__Jamie__ Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 6:43pm
post #12 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teekakes

littlejewel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlejewel Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 6:51pm
post #13 of 22

what is the best tasting MMF?

wildwolves Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wildwolves Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 6:52pm
post #14 of 22

ahh thanks for that..im a little slow to catch on this morning lol icon_rolleyes.gif

letsgetcaking Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 7:28pm
post #15 of 22

So, I was wondering about Michelle Foster's Fondant recipe. The only ingredient that is foreign to me is glycerin. Isn't that used in soap? Where would you buy something like that? Is it carried in regular grocery stores?

FullHouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FullHouse Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 7:36pm
post #16 of 22

My vote also goes to Michelle Foster's. I've tried Wilton, Satin Ice, Bakels Pentinice, Rhonda's MMF, but once I made Michelle's I haven't looked back, the texture is the best.

Glycerin is available at Micheals/AC Moore, etc. from Wilton or you can get CK from cake supply stores online. I think I've also seen some CCers mention that they purchase theirs at Walmart, but I may be mistaken as I haven't seen it there when I looked.

Kims_cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kims_cakes Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 7:44pm
post #17 of 22

I'm not sure about your local Wal-mart, but they have glycerin in my local Wal-mart. It's in the wedding supply section.

SuzyNoQ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SuzyNoQ Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 7:45pm
post #18 of 22

I like MMF and rolled buttercream depending on what I am making. Alot of people don't like rolled bc but, I have gotten comments on how much people like every time I make a cake with it.

ctirella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ctirella Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 7:58pm
post #19 of 22

how much white chocolate do you add to the michelle foster fondon and when do you add the chocolate thanks

cookie_fun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookie_fun Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 8:01pm
post #20 of 22

You can find glycerin at Walmart but you may have to look near the pharmacy. Glycerin is actually used in everything from foods to skin lotion to antifreeze. You want the USP grade that is the foodsafe grade of glycerin.

letsgetcaking Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 12:43pm
post #21 of 22

Thanks for the info on the glycerin, everyone. I'll make sure to look for the USP grade.

ctirella,

If you go to the recipe page, scroll down to the bottom. She explains how to add the white chocolate in step 17:

Quote:
Quote:

WHITE CHOCOLATE- add 6 ounces of white chocolate chips to the corn syrup. Follow the recipe as normal.

ctirella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ctirella Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 12:51pm
post #22 of 22

thank you etsgetcaking

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%