Teddy Bear Hat To Fit Sports Ball Sized Head?

Decorating By chilz822 Updated 6 Nov 2009 , 5:29pm by chilz822

chilz822 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chilz822 Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 3:44pm
post #1 of 5

Good morning cake & cookie pals!

I was hoping someone could direct me to some instructions, ideas, tips, or wisdom...
I'm making another teddy bear tomorrow and this time he needs a hat. Some sort of hat, doesn't matter what kind. Police hat or Cowboy hat are my preferences, but am not choosy! I'll be using Wilton's sports ball for the head atop 6" layers carved (like the gray bear in my photos).
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-photos-by-chilz822.html

Can anyone help guide me as to pattern, steps (do this first, this should be made seperate then attached, etc), etc?

Thank you all in advance and Happy HumpDay!
-Sherry

4 replies
KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 4:03pm
post #2 of 5

top hat would be super easy but might make him look like a groom lol.

I would think that you could run a gumpaste ribbon around the inside of a 4" (if you want it between his ears) or a 6" cake pan and let it set up in the circular shape and then maybe stuff plastic wrap in the center mounded it up (once the circle is hard) and lay a piece of gumpaste over top to get the police hat shape like this:

http://www.clownsupplyandnoveltyco.com/images/2051.jpg

and then add a bill.

chilz822 Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 4:12pm
post #3 of 5

You know, as I was sitting in the kitchen rolling gumpaste, it hit me. I think I have fallen into a 'take the easy way out' trap! I overthought the construction and immediately came here to ask, rather than just sit down and do it! heh

I came back and looked at hat pics and realized... this is a small project and it's for a 1-year old! Sherry, get with it! wake up! Act like you've learned something! icon_biggrin.gif

Circle cutter for hat top, strip of paste for the 'underside' of the top for the height, small strip for the band, brim, done. Sheesh! It's a teddy bear for crying out loud! LOL

KHalstead, thanks for jumping in with help so quickly I appreciate you... I'm off to do this thing before work!
Go, me!

icon_biggrin.gif

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 4:50pm
post #4 of 5

lol, good luck!

chilz822 Posted 6 Nov 2009 , 5:29pm
post #5 of 5

He's done and uploaded! His hat turned out much more crude and basic than I intended but I think he came out ok!
Thanks!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%