Should I Charge More Than Usual For Wedding Cakes?

Decorating By chamorrita Updated 5 Nov 2009 , 5:45am by chamorrita

chamorrita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chamorrita Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 4:16am
post #1 of 18

How much more than usual should I charge for a wedding cake? It is for a simple traditional. Help!

Thanks

17 replies
CakeMommyTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommyTX Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 4:28am
post #2 of 18

I don't charge any more for a wedding cake then I do a birthday cake.
Cake is cake, I don't care why or where you eat it as long as I get paid...lol
I charge per serving and according to the complexity of the design.

chamorrita Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 4:40am
post #3 of 18

Thank you! Its just that this is my first wedding cake. I have heard that I should charge more for wedding cakes. I really dont feel comfortable doing that because like you said cake is cake.

Thanks again!

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 4:42am
post #4 of 18

As long as you're charging enough already, then you don't need to charge extra for wedding cakes icon_biggrin.gif If you're only charging 50 cents a serving or something like that then by all means charge more.

jlynnw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlynnw Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 4:46am
post #5 of 18

The only reason it would cost more, in my mind anyway, would be if it was a tiered cake. Then you have to add the price of the support system you use. A flat sheet cake is only a cake on a board, done in the design of your choice, simple to intricate details. A teir cake takes it a bit further with being exactingly (is that a word?) level and the supports system. They do take a bit more time than a single cake. That would be the extra expense. You need to compensate for your time and materials. However, a 3 teir wedding cake - birthday cake - celebration cake of any form is a cake is a cake is a cake and the same $$$$. Just my thoughts.

akgirl10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
akgirl10 Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 6:00am
post #6 of 18

I see in your photos you have tiered caked with a fair amount of detail, much like a wedding cake. If you're happy with what you charge, then I wouldn't raise your price.

You might want to charge for delivery, if you don't normally deliver. Or any fancy cake board decorations. I'd charge more for a legitamite reason, but not just because it's a wedding cake. Plenty of party cakes are just as ornate these days.

chamorrita Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 6:22am
post #7 of 18

Thank you all for your advise.

wildwolves Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wildwolves Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 6:33am
post #8 of 18

I'm with everyone else on this one.. I would just charge how you would normally charge for a cake.. Eg supplies, ingredients and time/detail.. icon_smile.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 1:14pm
post #9 of 18

"Hi Carol! Look at the photo of my daughter's 2 tier wedding cake! It cost me $100!"

"It did? But Betty, I got a 2 tier cake from the same lady for my daughter's birthday and it was only $60!"

"It was!! Well, I'm going over there to complain and get my $40 back!"

---------------------------

I am NOT setting myself up for this situation. Cake is cake. Call it birthday, call it wedding, call it kiss my butt and 8th and main cake, it's all the same price.

Don't fall for the old trap of cake civilian gossip: "I HEARD you're SUPPOSE to charge more....." Yeah, you HEARD that .... did you also hear how everyone complains because bakers charge more JUST because you call it a wedding cake?

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 1:43pm
post #10 of 18

And just what is simple traditional anyways? Yeah, I put just as much effort into a baby shower cake as a wedding cake. Pricing is determined by level of detail.

sahrow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sahrow Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 1:48pm
post #11 of 18

It's all about the amount of detail and your expense.

It costs more of my time to do a more detailed cake, or one that takes extra time for whatever technique.

Here's an example... Fondant/ gumpaste roses take a lot longer to make than buttercream! They look more appropriate on a wedding cake. So if I do a tiered birthday cake with buttercream roses and one that looks just like it using fondant/ gumpaste, one will be much more expensive even though they look very similar. I would charge way more for the fondant/ gumpaste one.

People have different expectations for wedding cakes than birthday cakes.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 1:57pm
post #12 of 18

I've sold birthday cakes that were twice the cost of some of the wedding cakes I've done........those bridal mags tell people that WE charge more for wedding cakes, so you get a bunch of people wanting "party cakes" and then, just curious......how much would a similar "wedding cake" cost because my sister loves the idea and may want it for her wedding" .........um let's see, DUH if you're paying this much per serving then this is how much it is!
So funny, some brides even have their little questionaires from the bridal mags wiht them..........I try not to make them feel dumb with my answers, but it's always entertaining!

CBMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CBMom Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 2:18pm
post #13 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

......................... Call it birthday, call it wedding, call it kiss my butt and 8th and main cake, it's all the same price.

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

ROTFLMkissmybuttand8thandmaincakeOFF!!

Love it!

CBMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CBMom Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 2:20pm
post #14 of 18

Oh, chamorita, don't forget to post a picture! I know it's going to look beautiful! Good luck, and have fun!!

icon_smile.gif

CakeMommyTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommyTX Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 3:21pm
post #15 of 18

I know this has been posted before but it's still funny ....

momg9 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momg9 Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 3:24pm
post #16 of 18

My wedding cakes are more because of a consultation/tasting, torting and filling, & delivery. If someone wants all that with a party cake then it would be the same price.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 4:44pm
post #17 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by KHalstead

So funny, some brides even have their little questionaires from the bridal mags wiht them..........I try not to make them feel dumb with my answers, but it's always entertaining!

Oh I LUV it when I recognize the 10 Questions To Ask Your (insert any vendor here) lists!!! I like to go around the bush and behind the outhouse to give them an answer and then sit back to see if they recognize that I've NOT answered their question. So far, not ONE bride has figured that out. THey get a deer-in-the-headlights look and say, "Oh.....ok" and go to the next one.

My favorite was the email from the bride and she had OBVIOUSLY cut-n-pasted the whole thing. This was the one that included a question for the CATERER of "Do you cue the band?", at which point my classic answer was born: "Who do I look like, Ricky Ricardo?" icon_confused.gif

Them: Do you use fresh or frozen?
Me: Well, I dont' grow my own corn or kill my own chicken so what are you looking for?

Them: Are your cakes baked fresh?
Me: I dont' know of any baker who bakes stale.

Another favorite:
Them: Will you cook the food ahead of time
Me: Is there a kitchen on site that I will have access to so I can cook there?
Them: No.
Me: THen I guess I'll be cooking it ahead of time.
(Me is DYING to say, "No, I throw a hibatchi on the table and cook one meatball at a time.

chamorrita Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 5:45am
post #18 of 18

I will definately post a picture of the cake.

CakeMommyTX, thanks for sharing that was so funny!

Thank you all again. You have a great help!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%