26 replies
HarleyDee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HarleyDee Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 4:05am
post #2 of 27

Did anyone happen to catch the name on his fondant tubs? icon_smile.gif

KKC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KKC Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 1:26pm
post #3 of 27

The fondant is Satin Ice. Tonights episodes were hilarious...the pink walls icon_lol.gif The little boy annoying everyone..he was too cute icon_lol.gif

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 1:45pm
post #4 of 27

I loved it as usual. But I know that they stage it. The little boy running around getting lost - the entire time a video man is with him. LOL! And the pink walls - oh boy.

The robot cake was super cool! And I loved how they showed what they had to do in order to get the cake to move.

I also liked the tie-dyed cake. It was pretty cool. But I can't believe that Buddy put skates on and carried the cake at the same time. That would be SO scary. Cakes are HEAVY!

HarleyDee Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 4:00pm
post #5 of 27

I thought it was Satin Ice, but didn't really get to look at it good. Yeh, it has to be staged with those pink walls icon_biggrin.gif

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 4:09pm
post #6 of 27

Do they show it again during the week, or will I have to wait until after next week's episode? I was watching the World Series.

Thanks!

Theresa icon_smile.gif

KKC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KKC Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 6:08pm
post #7 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by cylstrial

The robot cake was super cool! And I loved how they showed what they had to do in order to get the cake to move.

I also liked the tie-dyed cake. It was pretty cool. But I can't believe that Buddy put skates on and carried the cake at the same time. That would be SO scary. Cakes are HEAVY!

Thats one of the things I really love about this show...I love how they show how they do things (like the robot). I especially love how they showed how they did the rollerskate. Sunshine, I believe is the one doing the rollerskate...and in the beginning she had like a cardboard template that she used to cut out the skate. I've been wanting to do a sneaker cake and I think that would be an easy way to get it looking right!
While its hilarious at times and a little chaotic...i consider it educational (cake wise) for me icon_rolleyes.gif

MrsNancyB1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsNancyB1 Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 7:41pm
post #8 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by KKC

Quote:
Originally Posted by cylstrial

Thats one of the things I really love about this show...I love how they show how they do things (like the robot). I especially love how they showed how they did the rollerskate. Sunshine, I believe is the one doing the rollerskate...and in the beginning she had like a cardboard template that she used to cut out the skate. I've been wanting to do a sneaker cake and I think that would be an easy way to get it looking right!
While its hilarious at times and a little chaotic...i consider it educational (cake wise) for me icon_rolleyes.gif

Ditto! He always mentions how he does things, and I take notes. icon_smile.gif

bakincakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakincakin Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 7:58pm
post #9 of 27

I love his show! I'll be watching it with you!

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 8:02pm
post #10 of 27

I can't get over that he used whipped cream icing on big heavy cakes like the robot and it doesn't squish out the sides. And what about the star tip he uses to fill with and sometimes to dirty ice(crumb coat). Doesn't that leave more little pockets of air in there? What about air bubbles and bulges?

I did notice that the iced cake for the robot he put into the fridge had WAY thicker icing then when they put the fondant on it and you could almost see through the icing to the cake.

11cupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
11cupcakes Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 8:17pm
post #11 of 27

I love his show and had chance to see them live during RBA show in Charlotte.He is such a nice guy.

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 8:29pm
post #12 of 27

I have to say I thought I could handle cake layers...LOL I never have cracked a layer but i have also not baked anything over 14 inches.

Those guys throw around 1 inch layer of cake that is a full sheet size! icon_eek.gif
That just has my applause every time.

That little boy-OK I'll be nice... he a little too much. Yikes think of the teen years coming up.

cookie_fun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookie_fun Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 8:47pm
post #13 of 27

Do any of you get Modern Baking magazine? Buddy provided an article with instructions for 2 designs in the latest issue. Gotta love him!

ailika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ailika Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 9:08pm
post #14 of 27

That Pink on the wall was horrible for the shop, but he didn't get his gold either lol. I loved the cake he made for his niece & what is everyone's opinion on his little nephew? icon_biggrin.gif

sweetjan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetjan Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 9:18pm
post #15 of 27

I love the whole family. They're lucky to have each other, and they know it!
A fun show, makes me laugh, and GREAT cakes with helpful hints!! Can't ask for more!!

PS: Where is Tone-Tone?????????

jab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jab Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 9:34pm
post #16 of 27

Since I am off work right now, I too get to watch Buddy. He is very talented. Can you imagine running a business like that??? with family??? I love his cakes. As for the Nephew, I would have to lock him out. Pink walls looked like Pepto. I love watching anything that has to do with cake decorating.

globalgatherings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
globalgatherings Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 9:44pm
post #17 of 27

Love it, thanx for reminding me

lecrn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lecrn Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 9:56pm
post #18 of 27

I just love the show. My DH & I watch it 2gether & laugh our butts off. His new favorite phase is "Quit busting my bawls". He thinks he's so funny saying it using an accent. I know that a lot of it is staged, but it's still so funny. I couldn't imagine working everyday with so many members of my family.
I loved the tie-dyed cake. I wonder if anyone has tried to get the same effect just rolling the fondant out without a sheeter?

Uniqueask Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Uniqueask Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 10:07pm
post #19 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by playingwithsugar

Do they show it again during the week, or will I have to wait until after next week's episode? I was watching the World Series.

Thanks!

Theresa icon_smile.gif

You can watch it on TLC. com It usually airs on Wednesday, click tv shows, then click cake boss, and then click full epsiode. That is how I watch it.

Uniqueask Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Uniqueask Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 10:09pm
post #20 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetjan

A fun show, makes me laugh, and GREAT cakes with helpful hints!! Can't ask for more!!

I love the family too, Tone Tone went to College, I guess he will be appearing from time to time. I read it on buddy's blog.

HarleyDee Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 3:56pm
post #21 of 27

I love that he shows how he does stuff too. Doesn't try to keep any of it as a "trade secret." If my family worked for me, that's totally how it would be all the time icon_biggrin.gif

And good for Tone-Tone icon_smile.gif

kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 6:33pm
post #22 of 27

I guess I'm the odd duck out. That show drives me nuts! I've deleted all episodes I had recorded to watch when I had time and taken it off the list to record in the future.... I mean how many times can dumping things off the roof onto a schmuck be funny??? It looses me when the sisters get all in his business and cause all the (cough.. ) spontaneous chaos??

I enjoyed the first few original episodes when there was more technical things shown, and they show cased his talent. They lost me when each episode had to include some silly, staged disaster. C'mon--in all the years I've done this and catering I've never had the calamities they expect us to believe happens day after day after day.

I'd be embarrassed to have the public think I was the "boss" of such a group of dunderheads.

Bring back the 'meat'--show case his talent. Forgettabout the rest!

gailsgoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gailsgoodies Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 7:51pm
post #23 of 27

I LOVE his show!! Let's face it, it's a TLC show and they believe that they need "drama". First it was the drama with the Gosslins, now the Tuttles (motorcycle show) are having "family problems". I really wish Buddy could move to The Food Network so he wouldn't have to put up with that BS.

Gail

ailika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ailika Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 7:57pm
post #24 of 27

I love watching this show regardless of the crazy things that go on. I don't care for all the roof stuff & pranks but I like how they all work together as a family. Hey lets face it you have to have some fun at work, it can't be all work & no play icon_biggrin.gif

cupcakejunkie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakejunkie Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 5:31pm
post #25 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uniqueask

Quote:

I love the family too, Tone Tone went to College, I guess he will be appearing from time to time. I read it on buddy's blog.

I was wondering where Tone-Tone went too. I did a search and I found his MySpace page http://www.myspace.com/tonyvention

I kinda find it hard to believe he went to college to be honest. At 30 years of age? Kinda strange.

rosiecast Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rosiecast Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 7:30pm
post #26 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupcakejunkie

Quote:

Quote:

I was wondering where Tone-Tone went too. I did a search and I found his MySpace page http://www.myspace.com/tonyvention

I kinda find it hard to believe he went to college to be honest. At 30 years of age? Kinda strange.

Sorry, but I don't think there's nothing wrong with going to school at 30. I'm going back for my Masters at 32 and I'm sure I won't be the oldest in my class. I remember when I went for my bachelors at 17- there were people in some of my classes older than my mom. Is never too late to get an education!!

rosiecast Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rosiecast Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 7:32pm
post #27 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosiecast

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupcakejunkie

Quote:

Quote:

Sorry, but I don't think there's anything strange about going to school at 30. I'm going back for my Masters at 32 and I'm sure I won't be the oldest in my class. I remember when I went for my bachelors at 17- there were people in some of my classes older than my mom. Is never too late to get an education!!

edited to add strange to my sentence.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%