Image For Cake

Decorating By momma28 Updated 16 Nov 2009 , 11:55am by icingimages

momma28 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momma28 Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 1:39am
post #1 of 5

I am just lamenting a bit. I am doing a cake for my midwife (her twin grandaughters) as a thank you for spending 25 hours at the hospital with me while I delivered my 6th child. We are friends and I am excited to do this for her. (She was paid of course this is just a special thank you)

The cake will incorporate the book Goodnight gorilla and I wanted to do an edible image of the pages. While an edible image printer is set to be my next purchase for my business I am not able to right now. I usually take the things I need done like that to Walmart and have them print out images for me (6.50 a pop and not great quality but its all i have right now) They will not print these pages because of copyright laws. I am bummed. I need to find another way of getting a couple of pages from goodnight gorilla done on the open pages of a book cake. I was thinking FBCT but think it will be too thick. I could hand paint but I am nervous it wont look right and then typeset is always a challenge for me freehand.

Any ideas? Thank you and sorry for the long post.

4 replies
momma28 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momma28 Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 1:42am
post #2 of 5

On the same topic (sort of) what are the cheapest cartridges for the edible images. The printer I could buy right now but the $75 for one set of cartridges and then 30 for the frosting sheets is pushing me over the edge.

Thanks again

grams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grams Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 1:53am
post #3 of 5

You could buy a copy of the book and take out the pages you want and laminate them . Then lay the laminated pages on the book cake.

PhotoFrost Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PhotoFrost Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 4:21pm
post #4 of 5

Hi Momma, hopefully you will get the image you need for the cake, regarding the edible ink cartridges. If you are really interested in getting into a printing system, then you may want to look at purchasing the printer yourself from like Walmart or Best Buy. They currently have a Canon MP560 and MP620 which sells for around $100 and both are a multifunction printer so you would have the scanner, digital card reader and everything you need. The cartridges I get for those machines sell for $85.00 but you can refill them 3x for only $38.50 so basically you get 3 extra sets of cartridges for only $12.83 each time. Huge savings there. Also the cost of your Icing Sheets can defenitely be reduced. Maximum is $28.00 a pack, and you could be getting them less if you purchase 2-4 at a time. Hope this helps in your venture icon_smile.gif

icingimages Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icingimages Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 11:55am
post #5 of 5

Hi Momma,
What we tell our future customers is to wait until you get to about 1 print per week consistantly. When you get there, then you want to look in to a machine. My company, offers a service, similar to Walmart, but much better quality, to print the images for you. We have found that we develop a strong relationship with our regular image customers and then we would suggest when it is time to purchase a machine and other options that may be available if your budget is tight. Sometimes we have printers that we have used for testing in the office and would offer it a lower prices. Some of our customers purchase printers on their own, but we would help to guide you in the right direction when and if it is ever time for you to go in that direction.
Best of luck to you!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%