How To Make A Gumpaste Water Lily?

Decorating By flowermom Updated 11 Jul 2011 , 4:47pm by galidink

flowermom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flowermom Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 5:43am
post #1 of 9

I need to make water lilies for a cake this week, and won't have time to purchase a cutter set. Can anyone give me a few instructions on how to make one? I can't really find any tutorials or instructions and just some guidance to make it one that looks realistic.

Thanks! Sandi icon_smile.gif

8 replies
Kaytecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kaytecake Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 6:15am
post #2 of 9

I made some waterlilies using daisy cutters. I used a medium sized one to make two overlapping sets of petals, then I used a small cutter to make the inner rows of petals. I used a flower former to "cup" them. If you have an even smaller cutter, you can make the yellow center. HTH I hope this picture helps. Good luck and shows us what you come up with. icon_smile.gif

cakenutz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakenutz Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 6:17am
post #3 of 9

I'd google a picture of one you like copy it on cardstock or construction paper and use as a template to cut around HTH

ApplegumKitchen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ApplegumKitchen Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 7:56am
post #4 of 9

I'd go with the daisy option! icon_biggrin.gif
But then I am not a fan of cutting out tiny templates icon_smile.gif

My friend Sharon made these waterlilies and I am sure I remember her telling me she used daisy cutters

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14541447@N06/3420406577/in/set-72157606872813389/

jlynnw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlynnw Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 10:36am
post #5 of 9

I used daisy cutters for mine as well. You can make all sizes. Here I used the tiny one.
LL

jlynnw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlynnw Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 11:08am
post #6 of 9

Just found some notes on making them. Not sure if they are my wild ramblings on my thoughts or a "real" persons. icon_redface.gif

cut three daisy cut outs of thin thin gp. Mark the center vein on the top 2 is desired. Use an appropriate ball tool and slightl cup the bottom layer, just enough to give it movement, the second one give a good push of a ball tool to get the petals to lift up. Leave this in a former to dry with the petals up, a few minutes while doing the next. The top petals need to be formed to stand up almost straight. Let dry a bit and then stack together. for the center stamens, wrap yellow thread around your pinkie finger (larger flower) many times. Tie off and secure at the bottom with a #32 wire. cut the top of the loops and flare out. Insert the wire in the stacked petals. Dust the center of the flower with yellow petal dust. Flowers come in many colors.

Anyway, found the instructions and thought to share. If you sent them to me thanks and speak up as I did not write where I got this from and they do make up nicely this way.

flowermom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flowermom Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 11:34pm
post #7 of 9

Thank you all for the great ideas/helps and photos! I do have daisy cutters, so I will try those! It amazing how creative we can get with what we have available, I would have never thought to use my daisy cutters.

I will try and get a posted up as soon as I can later this week! Thanks again!

Sandi icon_smile.gif

milkmaid42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milkmaid42 Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 12:26am
post #8 of 9

I made some with daisy cutters and formed the center with a fat tear shaped ball impressed with an umbrella tool on a short length of 22ga wire. I formed the whole thing in a mug covered with foil with a hole in the center for the wire. Impressed lines down the center with a needle tool and dusted with chalk when dry. (I forgot to do the lines on some of the petals, but we will overlook that...) I don't know how to insert a photo here on the post, but if it will help you I have a close up in my photos with the duck cake. Good luck. They are a fun flower to make and they come in many colors.

galidink Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
galidink Posted 11 Jul 2011 , 4:47pm
post #9 of 9

thanks every one . for all the help . icon_biggrin.gif i'l be posting my water lillie soon galidink! - gali

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%