5 Petal Rose, Not Right, Help!

Decorating By HowCoolGomo1 Updated 11 Jun 2010 , 1:21pm by cakesbymark

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 3:42am
post #31 of 98

Believe me, it took me some playtime to get it together..It looks easy but for a beginner is not, I was a beginner too, I know!..but now Is like second nature to make them. It just gets easier!
Edna icon_smile.gif

MrsNancyB1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsNancyB1 Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 3:51am
post #32 of 98

Thanks Edna!!

I'm sorry to hijack the thread, but I'm looking to purchase these cutters. Which size should I buy??? There are so many choices, but I don't know what to buy.

Jeff_Arnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeff_Arnett Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 5:03am
post #33 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsNancyB

Thanks Edna!!

I'm sorry to hijack the thread, but I'm looking to purchase these cutters. Which size should I buy??? There are so many choices, but I don't know what to buy.

Continuing this line of questions....does anyone know where to find the five petal cutters in METAL rather than plastic? I've found a couple on line, but they are the smaller ones....I want the large ones like you get in the pink plastic set.

zubia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zubia Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 5:09am
post #34 of 98

wow ,thanks Edna.That is so sweet of you to post.

handymama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
handymama Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 5:36am
post #35 of 98

Jeff--I've wondered the same thing. Plastic just doesn't "cut it" icon_lol.gif as well as metal.

Jeff_Arnett Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 3:46pm
post #36 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by handymama

Jeff--I've wondered the same thing. Plastic just doesn't "cut it" icon_lol.gif as well as metal.

UPDATE TO MY EARLIER QUESTION

Here's a metal set I found online. It didn't give the sizes, so I emailed them and they promptly replied with the info.

By the way, this company has some great looking cutters on their site.

http://dandgoccasions.com

----------------------------------

Quick Rose Cutter Tool for Rolled Fondant Gumpaste Sugarpaste
$15.99

http://dandgoccasions.com/cake-decorating/cutters/quick-rose-cutter-tool-for-rolled-fondant-gumpaste-sugarpaste

The measurements are 4 1/2" ; 3 3/4" ; 3 1/4" ; 2 1/2"

kkitchen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kkitchen Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 4:01pm
post #37 of 98

Jeff_Arnette,

Thanks so much for the link. I think I will give these a try and also, I love this site. Looking through to see what else I find.

tonedna Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 4:03pm
post #38 of 98
Quote:

I will have to say that I was one a believer in this, but Jem cutters are really good. I found out that some plastic cutters are better than others. Just like some metals are better than others..
Plastic dont loose shape and doesnt bend. The JEM cutters are really good..
Edna icon_smile.gif

Teekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Teekakes Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 4:06pm
post #39 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonedna

Quote:

I will have to say that I was one a believer in this, but Jem cutters are really good. I found out that some plastic cutters are better than others. Just like some metals are better than others..
Edna icon_smile.gif

I agree with Edna here. I too have the plastic 5 Petal Rose cutters and IMO they are much better than the metal ones.
Now for cookie cutting give me the metal ones any day! icon_smile.gif

handymama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
handymama Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 4:25pm
post #40 of 98

Good to know; thanks. It was my experience with Wilton cutters years ago that prejudiced me against them.

tonedna Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 4:29pm
post #41 of 98
Quote:

Good to know; thanks. It was my experience with Wilton cutters years ago that prejudiced me against them.

Yeah, wilton cutters are for play dough..lol
Edna icon_smile.gif

Jeff_Arnett Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 4:44pm
post #42 of 98
Quote:

Quote:

Edna icon_smile.gif

I agree with you on that one too...I have many plastic ones that are great. I think what I don't like about the pink plastic set is that it is not open, and it's harder to get the petal cut cleanly without it getting stuck in the cutter.

Teekakes Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 5:14pm
post #43 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_Arnett

Quote:

Quote:

Edna icon_smile.gif

I agree with you on that one too...I have many plastic ones that are great. I think what I don't like about the pink plastic set is that it is not open, and it's harder to get the petal cut cleanly without it getting stuck in the cutter.

I have all sizes of the FMM 5 Petal cutters, they are off white in color and love them all for their ease and clean cuts. I have never used the pink plastic ones. Who makes them?

tonedna Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 5:18pm
post #44 of 98

You can put crisco on the boder to make sure it doesnt stick. And if it stays in there, you can use a tool to push it through the hole on the top. The rose from the photos was made with them, and It was red gumpaste, wich can get really soft, and it gave me no problems.
Edna icon_smile.gif

HowCoolGomo1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HowCoolGomo1 Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 8:21pm
post #45 of 98
Quote:

Thanks Edna!!

So far I own the 50, 60, 80 and 90. Obviously I'm no expert, but I think it's a matter of how full and wide you want your roses. The cutters may also be used for Briar roses, Azaleas and Gardenias. No actual instructions come for the other flowers.

Thank you for hijacking, we're getting a lot more information

tonedna Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 8:31pm
post #46 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowCoolGomo1

Quote:

Thanks Edna!!

So far I own the 50, 60, 80 and 90. Obviously I'm no expert, but I think it's a matter of how full and wide you want your roses. The cutters may also be used for Briar roses, Azaleas and Gardenias. No actual instructions come for the other flowers.

Thank you for hijacking, we're getting a lot more information

I have all of them. To make a full rose I use 2 of them close in size. And you can make different sizes of roses...They are inexpensive, so it's not a bad investment.
Edna icon_smile.gif

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 8:35pm
post #47 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teekakes

Quote:

Quote:

Edna icon_smile.gif

I agree with Edna here. I too have the plastic 5 Petal Rose cutters and IMO they are much better than the metal ones.
Now for cookie cutting give me the metal ones any day! icon_smile.gif

I agree, the Jem cutters really are that good icon_biggrin.gif I think it's because they have a thinner edge than some others and they're made out of harder plastic than the Wilton ones.

Plastic is also more comfortable on the fingers if you are cutting a lot of something.

When the gumpaste gets stuck in the cutter, stick a small tool down the hole in the handle of the cutter and just push gently. It doesn't take much pushing to loosen it.

HowCoolGomo1 Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 10:34pm
post #48 of 98

I know the centers still aren't right, but am I getting the thinnest correct?

I also colored with the airbrush and I'm not pleased with the pink.

These are experiments, in every sense of the word.

Teekakes Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 10:49pm
post #49 of 98

Gomo....these are beautiful! Tighten up those centers and you will be a pro rose maker! I like your pink a lot! Very very pretty!! icon_smile.gif

tonedna Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 11:07pm
post #50 of 98

They are looking so much better..no remember to use 2 petals for the center, I see you are using only one.
Keep at it.. You are sooooo close!!!!!!!!!!!!...By the way..for those who dont knoe the roses would look awesome!
Edna icon_smile.gif

HowCoolGomo1 Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 11:52pm
post #51 of 98

How do I make it so I can see your comments?

The pictures are spreading everything out, so I'm missing really good critique.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 11:54pm
post #52 of 98

You can resize the big picture, or use the space bar in the quick reply box to make it all move over, then you can read the rest.

janebrophy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janebrophy Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 12:31am
post #53 of 98

Wow, those roses look great to me! Once the centres are done, you'll be a pro! I love the colour!

I'm ashamed to say I still use the Wilton cutters...one petal at a time...LOL!!! I need to invest in a set of 5 petal cutters, and now I'll be buying the JEM cutters, thanks for the info!! icon_smile.gif

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 1:55am
post #54 of 98

Go to shrinkpictures.com to resize the pics - they won't spread the links out that way.

Use one more petal for the centers and they will be GORGEOUS!!

tonedna Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 3:55am
post #55 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by janebrophy

Wow, those roses look great to me! Once the centres are done, you'll be a pro! I love the colour!

I'm ashamed to say I still use the Wilton cutters...one petal at a time...LOL!!! I need to invest in a set of 5 petal cutters, and now I'll be buying the JEM cutters, thanks for the info!! icon_smile.gif

Nothing to be ashamed about the one petal technique, is actually more difficult than the five petal!
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

HowCoolGomo1 Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 4:19am
post #56 of 98

Still can't figure out how to get the critique.

But thanks for everyone that said I thinned.

janebrophy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janebrophy Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 12:57pm
post #57 of 98
Quote:

Quote:

Nothing to be ashamed about the one petal technique, is actually more difficult than the five petal!
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

Seriously??! I've tried the 5 petal, but with the pink crappy wilton cutters, and the roses looked nothing like flowers! LOL!! I'll use this "quick" tutorial and practise the 5 petals once my order arrives!! icon_smile.gif

tonedna Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 3:35pm
post #58 of 98
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Edna icon_biggrin.gif

Seriously??! I've tried the 5 petal, but with the pink crappy wilton cutters, and the roses looked nothing like flowers! LOL!! I'll use this "quick" tutorial and practise the 5 petals once my order arrives!! icon_smile.gif

Yes, the problem with the wilton one is that they make you cut the petals and the flower is so tiny. It can be done with it too, but is a matter of doing it the correct way
Edna icon_smile.gif

tonedna Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 3:36pm
post #59 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowCoolGomo1

Still can't figure out how to get the critique.

But thanks for everyone that said I thinned.

What can yo figure out?
Edna

FullHouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FullHouse Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 6:34pm
post #60 of 98

Thanks so much, Edna, for posting the pics. Just in time for me, the 5 petal cutter I orderd arrived yesterday!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%