Mmf Made With Homemade Marshmallows

Baking By sweetreasures Updated 2 Nov 2009 , 12:08am by sweetreasures

sweetreasures Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetreasures Posted 1 Nov 2009 , 3:44am
post #1 of 3

I made marshmallows the other day and find myself sitting at the stove and toasting them. Before I eat the whole thing, I'd like to make MMF with what is left. Has anyone done this before with good results? I figured it should work the same as store bought.

Also, since the marshmallows are melted to make the MMF, would adding the extra powdered sugar to the homemade MM after the syrup mixture is beaten work in the same way?

The MM recipe is made with 3 pkgs of gelatin. If I beat the syrup to the stage necessary before pouring it into the pan it is really thick so I'm thinking I would not beat it as much to make the fondant and / or reduce the gelatin to 1 or 2 packages so it would not be so gelled. Any thoughts or suggestions?

2 replies
cabecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cabecakes Posted 1 Nov 2009 , 4:05am
post #2 of 3

That is a good question. I would think that it would be about the same difference. Are your marshmallows the same texture are as store bought marshmallows when they are completely finished. If so, I would say go for it. If you don't want to try, give me the recipe and I'll try it. I guess what I'm really trying to say is...Could I have your recipe for homemade marshmallows Pllleasse! LOL. Seeing as how homemade is almost always better then store bought.

sweetreasures Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetreasures Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 12:08am
post #3 of 3

Sure cabecakes. I looked at several recipes and they are all pretty much the same with the measurements being slightly different. This is the one I settled on because I only wanted to use 3 pkgs of gelatin instead of 4 plus the extra sugar it required.

1 cup cold water
3 pkgs unflavored gelatin
2 cups sugar
3/4 cup light corn syrup
1/4 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
powdered sugar for coating marshmallows

grease a 9 x 13 x 2" pan - some instructions just grease, some use greased parchment and one also used powdered sugar on the greased pan.

Combine sugar, corn syrup, salt and 1/2 cup of water in pan. Heat to 240 degrees
In meantime put the other 1/2 cup of water in mixing bowl and sprinkle gelatin over the water.

When syrup reaches 240 degrees remove from heat. Beating constantly at medium speed, pour the syrup slowly into the gelatin mixture. After all the syrup has been added, increase the speed to high and beat for 15 minutes until the mixture is lukewarm, snowy white and the consistency of whipped marshmallow adding the vanilla a few minutes before the end of the beating. (I didn't beat that long because it was crawling up the beaters of my run of the mill mixer but did get to the consistency it needed to be.

Pour into prepared pan, smooth top. Mine did not actually fill the pan - more like a 9 x 9 size and it was very thick. Let stand uncovered at room temp for 8 to 12 ours or longer. I covered with a paper towel.

Place marshmallow on a sifted powdered sugared piece of waxed paper, coat all sides and ends. Cut as desired when desired. Coat cut sides with PS. You can skip this part if you roast them like I did.

I did try the marshmallow before the 8 to 12 hour time period and was not too pleased at first because I could taste the gelatin, but it did go away or not as noticeable the next days afterwards. I stored covered with wax paper in a plastic bag. Can be stored up to 4 weeks max.

enjoy

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%