Gumpaste Flower Cutters - Metal Or Plastic?

Decorating By xiswtsawluiix Updated 30 Oct 2009 , 1:36pm by Sweet_Guys

xiswtsawluiix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xiswtsawluiix Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 4:10am
post #1 of 8

I am very new to the gumpaste world. Can someone give me a tried and true foolproof recipe for gumpaste?

Which gumpaste flower cutters work best - plastic or metal? I would think the metal ones give a cleaner look, but can rust. The plastic ones seem to last longer. I am at a loss.

Which brand do you suggest from GSA?

I was thinking about buying these sets, JEM Cutters - Full Set 1 and 2.
http://www.globalsugarart.com/product.php?id=16992&name=JEM%20Cutters%20-%20Full%20Set%201

I'm afraid it won't work very well and I'll just end up buying more cutters for the same flowers - such as the moth orchid.

Any suggestions?

7 replies
Sugarflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarflowers Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 4:27am
post #2 of 8

The gumpaste recipe that I use is fondant and Tylose. I take about 1/2 pound of fondant and knead in 2-3 tsp. of Tylose. I like my gumpaste fairly stiff because I have very warm hands. You might like softer gumpaste so use a little less tylose. Work it into the fondant in small amounts until it becomes firm like playdough. Rub shortening over the ball of paste, wrap it well with plastic wrap, and then store in an airtight container. Let this rest for several hours or overnight. This allows the tylose to absorb some of the moisture in the fondant. Cut or tear off only the amount you are going to use immediately and knead it until it is smooth.

As for cutters I like the plastic ones better. To get a cleaner cut run your finger over the gumpaste while it's still in the cutter.

I really can't help you with the cutter set in your link. I don't have that so I can't say if it would be a good buy or not.

HTH

Michele

mygirlssweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mygirlssweet Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 4:36am
post #3 of 8

I have to disagree. I love my metal cutters much better.

xiswtsawluiix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xiswtsawluiix Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 4:44am
post #4 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugarflowers

The gumpaste recipe that I use is fondant and Tylose. I take about 1/2 pound of fondant and knead in 2-3 tsp. of Tylose. I like my gumpaste fairly stiff because I have very warm hands. You might like softer gumpaste so use a little less tylose. Work it into the fondant in small amounts until it becomes firm like playdough. Rub shortening over the ball of paste, wrap it well with plastic wrap, and then store in an airtight container. Let this rest for several hours or overnight. This allows the tylose to absorb some of the moisture in the fondant. Cut or tear off only the amount you are going to use immediately and knead it until it is smooth.

As for cutters I like the plastic ones better. To get a cleaner cut run your finger over the gumpaste while it's still in the cutter.

I really can't help you with the cutter set in your link. I don't have that so I can't say if it would be a good buy or not.

HTH

Michele

Thanks for the replies. I have very warm hands too! If I make the gumpaste very stiff, won't it dry out much faster?

Sugarflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarflowers Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 4:53am
post #5 of 8

Yes, it can, so work with small amounts. Stiff gumpaste also allows for thinner petals without tearing as easily. My flowers are thin enough that I can read my business card through them, the small print. They are extremely fragile, but they are easier for me to shape and I love the look of them.

Michele

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 5:04am
post #6 of 8

I also like to use really stiff gumpaste as well and I also find that I get a cleaner edge with it. As for the cutters, I like the plastic ones but I also like some of the metal ones.

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 12:42pm
post #7 of 8

i have the set in your post, i also, have the book that goes along with them. I have the first three sets of jem cutters. I think they are well worth the money. They are leaps and bounds above the cheap wilton cutters and although i do use some metal cutters, i go back to these sets time and time again.

Sweet_Guys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Guys Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 1:36pm
post #8 of 8

Gumpaste: Got to Nicholas Lodge's website...It is AWESOME! Something we learned from his gallery manager, Nancy, is that you can make batches and freeze it until future use...She told us that some of his frozen stuff is seven years old!!! We made a standard red, black, green, and white....We made big batches....We ended up keeping enough of each color in our refrigerator to work with and froze the rest...Then we go to the freezer to pull out as needed of any particular color.

Cutters: We started with the Wilton plastic course pieces and then we bought the multiple cutter set with the black covered book...Since then, we have bought plastic and metal...It really hasn't been a matter of preference as it has been which flower cutters we need and when we can get our hands on them.

Note: If you don't get a clean cut, you can do one of two things: (1) Turn the gumpaste and cutter over and roll the paste with your rolling pin or (2) Cut the paste with the cutter and with your hand on the cutter, move it back and forth until you get a clean break.

HTH

Paul

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%