What Brand Of Fondant Are Aussie Decorators Using???

Decorating By wildwolves Updated 4 Nov 2009 , 4:04am by Lazysuze

wildwolves Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wildwolves Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 2:38am
post #1 of 30

Hi everyone... Just wondering what brands of fondant does everyone in Australia use? I have been using cakeart and although i LOVE their modelling paste... i'm just not a huge fan of the plastic icing.. I find that it is way to soft and that it keeps breaking apart when transfering to cakes.. I have been making my own mmf which is great but i have heaps of orders coming up soon and i really need a good quality/great tasting fondant/plastic icing.. Please Help! icon_cry.gif

29 replies
wildwolves Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 9:49am
post #2 of 30

hmm is anyone willing to share their fav fondant that i can get in Oz??

Elise87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elise87 Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 10:12am
post #3 of 30

I would be interested to know to. Atm i also just make my own MMF but if i ever buy icing i just buy the 'Orchard' brand white icing cose maily it tastes good but like you said with the other type of fondant u mentioned it goes very soft and you have to be careful when covering cakes, however for cookies it is great.

I was always wondering if you just kneaded some more icing sugar into them, could you get them firmer?

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 10:24am
post #4 of 30

I use the Renshaw Regalice from the UK.

http://www.napierbrown.com/pages/sugarpastes--icings.aspx?pageid=32

Vanilla flavoured - but that can be adjusted by using different flavoured oils - (just a drop or two can change the flavour)

16 vibrant colours to choose from - and if need be - they can be made paler by adding more white Regalice.

I always use powdered colours when colouring my White - the colour is more intense i find - and if allowed to sit for 24 hours - the powdered colours have time to *explode* and then the true colour is seen.

Alot of people don't do this - and wonder why the next day their fondant/icing is darker than what they wanted.

There are only two outlets for the Renshaw Regalice in Australia - one here in WA and one in NSW.

The best thing about it is the elasticity - and the ease when rolling out.

Never dries *rock hard* thus never breaks a customers tooth.

Would never go back to using any other product.

There are icings/fondants ......... and then there is Regalice. thumbs_up.gif

Bluehue.

BarbaraK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BarbaraK Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 10:26am
post #5 of 30

I use Bakels and just love it. No problems with consistency and very easy to use. I find that it takes colours easily.

berni2611 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
berni2611 Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 11:13am
post #6 of 30

I use Bakels as well - Probably the easiest thing to use..

ApplegumKitchen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ApplegumKitchen Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 11:21am
post #7 of 30

Hi BarbaraK - long time no see!!! how you doin?

Yep - this gal is a Bakels one too. Performs well with a good degree of reliability!! thats what we need, right?

CakeArt fondant is soooooooooooooo crap!! I can cope with the pre-coloured red, black & green if you mix 50:50 with Bakels white (doesn't really affect the colour that much and you can always add little extra colour.

scgriffiths Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scgriffiths Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 12:25pm
post #8 of 30

Mostly Bakels, although I can only buy it on Fridays here, so if I'm not totally organised, it's Orchard.

cags31 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cags31 Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 12:30pm
post #9 of 30

I also use Bakels, but on humid days like today it's really soft and hard to work with. Lucky we don't have to many of those days in Melbourne.

ApplegumKitchen Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 12:36pm
post #10 of 30

Anybody wanting to make their own? here's a link to my recipe

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/14630/homemade-rtr-fondant/comment-page-1#comment-830

Melnick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melnick Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 12:50pm
post #11 of 30

I use Bakels too. I was using Cake Art but after a lot of tears and many wasted hours and less than spectacular finishes I was put onto Bakels and it is so extremely easy to work with - you can model with it too. You will never go back once you've tried it!!

wildwolves Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 8:20pm
post #12 of 30

Thanks so much everyone! thumbs_up.gif
Ill give bakels a go and also the regalice too...
I know that everyone has a favourite i just have not found mine yet icon_smile.gif Fingers crossed i'm happy with one of those.
ApplegumKitchen thanks for the recipe ill give that a go as well.. sometimes im not organised enough to buy some and make MMF but this recipe looks great.. Ill let you all know how i go with them all... icon_biggrin.gif

BarbaraK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BarbaraK Posted 31 Oct 2009 , 10:41am
post #13 of 30

Looks like Bakels is the firm favourite. Wonder if there is a horse by that name running in the Melbourne Cup on Tuesday? icon_lol.gif

Hey there Pam! Things are going good over here. Might have to give your recipe a try one day ..... when I get organised enough! icon_cry.gif

Bel_Anne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bel_Anne Posted 31 Oct 2009 , 11:09am
post #14 of 30

Bakels is not great in humid weather AT ALL. If you're a QLD'er... you'll struggle. Unless you're in air-con.. icon_smile.gif

It's fab in colder months though.

SweetBeeBang Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetBeeBang Posted 31 Oct 2009 , 11:17am
post #15 of 30

Hi I use Bakels too... but just wondering can anyone advise the best brand for pre coloured fondants. Im in search for red fondant and tried cake art and didn't like it as it always crumbled. Need to make a deep red cake...any suggestions?

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 31 Oct 2009 , 12:03pm
post #16 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetBeeBang

Hi I use Bakels too... but just wondering can anyone advise the best brand for pre coloured fondants. Im in search for red fondant and tried cake art and didn't like it as it always crumbled. Need to make a deep red cake...any suggestions?

Bakels (pettinice) make coloured fondants too. I can buy 5kg tubs in chocolate, red, black & pink. They do several other colours in 1kg packs. That's in Europe though, I don't know if they ship the coloured stuff worldwide?

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 31 Oct 2009 , 12:04pm
post #17 of 30
Quote:

Bakels (pettinice) make coloured fondants too. I can buy 5kg tubs in chocolate, red, black & pink. They do several other colours in 1kg packs. That's in Europe though, I don't know if they ship the coloured stuff worldwide?

Bunsen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bunsen Posted 31 Oct 2009 , 12:19pm
post #18 of 30

I've been using Bakels, mainly because it's easy to get hold of but have noticed it's not good in hot/humid weather so I'm thinking about trying something else.

Bluehue, where can you buy Renshaw Regalice in NSW?

Bluehue Posted 31 Oct 2009 , 2:18pm
post #19 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunsen

I've been using Bakels, mainly because it's easy to get hold of but have noticed it's not good in hot/humid weather so I'm thinking about trying something else.

Bluehue, where can you buy Renshaw Regalice in NSW?

I will get in touch with my supplier and get the details for you and let you know as soon as i can

Bluehue.

scgriffiths Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scgriffiths Posted 31 Oct 2009 , 9:16pm
post #20 of 30
Quote:

I have no experience with pre coloured fondants, but have just ordered some red from here: http://champagnecakes.com.au/

I don't know how you guys cope with cake decorating in the heat! It rarely hits 30 here and when it does, I wouldn't want to attempt fondant!!!

sugarandslice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarandslice Posted 31 Oct 2009 , 9:58pm
post #21 of 30

I love, love, love Bakel's Pettinice. Also use their choc fondant but it has quite a diferent texture (much firmer)
The only pre-coloured i can seem to get is the CakeArt and I hate it. The black is like something sent from the devil to torment me. used it last night on my daughter's birthday cake (just for accents, thankfully) and it drove me mad.
I hadn't thought about kneading in some white Bakel's but will give that a go next time.
With Christmas coming up I've got a kg each of red and green in my pantry and I'm not looking forward to using it as it is!

I also use homemade ( not MMF, recipe from Planet Cake book or Lindy Smith) for covering boards or to mix with gumpaste for modelling, as it's quite a lot cheaper.

Would love to know where I can get coloured Bakel's !?
Emma

sugarandslice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarandslice Posted 31 Oct 2009 , 9:58pm
post #22 of 30

I love, love, love Bakel's Pettinice. Also use their choc fondant but it has quite a diferent texture (much firmer)
The only pre-coloured i can seem to get is the CakeArt and I hate it. The black is like something sent from the devil to torment me. used it last night on my daughter's birthday cake (just for accents, thankfully) and it drove me mad.
I hadn't thought about kneading in some white Bakel's but will give that a go next time.
With Christmas coming up I've got a kg each of red and green in my pantry and I'm not looking forward to using it as it is!

I also use homemade ( not MMF, recipe from Planet Cake book or Lindy Smith) for covering boards or to mix with gumpaste for modelling, as it's quite a lot cheaper.

Would love to know where I can get coloured Bakel's !?
Emma

cupcake84 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcake84 Posted 1 Nov 2009 , 4:02am
post #23 of 30

I've been using Orchard RTR Fondant. I think it was $17 for 3 kilos. It's good because it comes in a box but the icing is packaged in 3 x 1kg bags. It's not too good in the hot weather though...

cupcake84 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcake84 Posted 1 Nov 2009 , 4:02am
post #24 of 30

I've been using Orchard RTR Fondant. I think it was $17 for 3 kilos. It's good because it comes in a box but the icing is packaged in 3 x 1kg bags. It's not too good in the hot weather though...

ApplegumKitchen Posted 1 Nov 2009 , 4:05am
post #25 of 30

We don't get all the coloured fondants here in Australia - I can't justify the postage required to get the pre-coloured - and never seem to have a problem colouring the Bakels.

Cakeart is available in pre-coloured red, black and green.

Quote:
Quote:

I can cope with the pre-coloured red, black & green if you mix 50:50 with Bakels white (doesn't really affect the colour that much and you can always add little extra colour.

If you do as I answered above, you will find it so much easier to work with

I think from memory there were different season Bakels available - so you Qld'ers might need to source some of the TROPICAL one.
Ring your local Bakel supplier[/quote]

Bluehue Posted 1 Nov 2009 , 4:51pm
post #26 of 30

Bunsen - Bluehue, where can you buy Renshaw Regalice in NSW?

Bunsen - apparently i misunderstood - as i thought THERE WAS an outlet -
Not yet - so sorry about that. icon_redface.gificon_redface.gif
But the link below is where i get mine from....same place that scgriffiths has just ordered some from.
Have a look at the web - the colours are so vibrant and extremly easy to work with.
The red is called Poppy Red and stays lovely without fading.
But if you are ever looking for a real black - then the Jet Black is excellant.
No more mixing to get that real jet black effect thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

Dawn at Champagne cakes is just wondreful and so helpful.
http://champagnecakes.com.au/

ApplegumKitchen - We don't get all the coloured fondants here in Australia - icon_eek.gificon_confused.gif YES WE DO PAM - gawddd, just goes to show what i typed in my first thread wasn't read icon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gif - typical.
Either that or people here just don't want to know that there is beautifully coloured icings out there - and happy to stick with the same ole same ole

I can't justify the postage required to get the pre-coloured -
Your kidding right - but then perhaps you use more BC that coloured icings.
You would only have to use the coloured Regalice once and you would't go back to colouring Bakels
As the old saying goes - you get what you pay for
- i am thrilled that i found regalice - and since then have never had to deliver a cake to a well paying customer with that Bakels on it -

Bluehue

Elise87 Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 12:33am
post #27 of 30

I know you guys said Bakels is good to work with but does it taste good? Same question with cake art (just white colour ) even though you said it's bad to work with

wildwolves Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 2:26am
post #28 of 30

The cake art tastes ok but its just horrid to work with.. I will never ever buy it again! Don't know about the bakels though.... icon_biggrin.gif

Elise87 Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 3:39am
post #29 of 30

Any more thoughts on the taste of bakels?

I'v decided to buy a big thing of bought fondant soon and i just need to make sure i am getting the best one. I am stuck between whether to buy the bakels or the fondx (I found a place in the city that imports it).

BTW Wildwolves, I love cakeart's modelling paste too cose it smells nice and I tasted it once and it tastes good too, not that i am going to be eating heaps of it lol

Lazysuze Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lazysuze Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 4:04am
post #30 of 30

I use Orchard here in Melbourne mainly because you can buy it direct from them in Bayswater for $12.90 for 3kg. I have no trouble with it even when it's humid and it tastes good. The address is 97 Bayfield Rd East, Bayswater. 03 9720 8311 for anyone interested.
I have used Bakels, but the last lot I had seemed to be full of small air bubbles, which put me off it and it is more expensive than Orchard.

Regal Ice is the best I agree, being a POM, it was all I used in England, but can't seem to get it here.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%