Pearl Molds For Fondant

Decorating By doodledo Updated 7 Nov 2009 , 5:00am by Loucinda

doodledo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doodledo Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 12:27pm
post #1 of 66

I am looking iinto purchasing a mold for pearls. I have an order that she wants edible pearls but not the hard ones. I would like to make them from fondant. How hard are these to make? Do I need to add gumpaste? Where is the best place to purchase the molds?
TIA
Lori

65 replies
luvmysmoother Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvmysmoother Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 2:21pm
post #2 of 66

Global Sugar Art has a great selection. I just got a drop bead mold along with a few other things yesterday and I can't wait to try it - they even delivered it earlier than expected - woohooicon_smile.gificon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

http://www.globalsugarart.com/cat.php?cid=718&s=15&name=FIRST%20IMPRESSION%20MOLDS/Bead,%20Pearl%20&%20Jewel%20Molds

bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 2:23pm
post #3 of 66

Hi, I bough CK silicon moulds. They are expencive but worth every penny! So much easier to work. Here is the link for you, icon_smile.gif

http://www.globalsugarart.com/cat.php?cid=816&s=30&name=CK%20SILICONE%20MOLDS

mrsmudrash Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsmudrash Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 8:29pm
post #4 of 66

I just bought and used this one for the first time and LOVED it!

Look in my pics and see the argyle cake I just made...I used the 10mm size pearl border - so you can get an idea of the size. The bottom tier is 8" and the top tier is 6".

Good luck!

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 11:08pm
post #5 of 66

I would suggest the CK mold that you can also purchase at Global Sugar Art. I prefer to use 50/50 gumpaste fondant.

Good luck.

audrey0522 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
audrey0522 Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 11:23pm
post #6 of 66

Also check w w w . f o n d a n t s o u r c e . c o m (no spaces) they are often cheaper and have good shipping prices. I have the 8mm mold that has no flat surface. After I practiced with gumpaste I tried satin ice fondant and it worked well also.

Sweet_Guys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Guys Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 12:28am
post #7 of 66

Dust the inside of the pearl maker with your luster or pearl dust BEFORE you push in the gum paste...Then, when they pop out, they will be all set to mount on your cake.

Also, if you have trouble getting the fondant out of the maker, freeze it for about 5 minutes and then pop out.

Paul

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 12:49am
post #8 of 66

I love the First impressions mold specially for beginners, the pearls are halfed. The CK mold if is full round pearls and ifyou are not used to working with this, it can be a bit more challenging, but not impossible. Both of them is best to work them in gumpaste or at least 50/50. Or you can add tylose to fondant.

Another thing from the half mold is that covers more the base of the cake, specially for those who still are learning fondant.

Both styles can be found in globalsugarart.com
Edna icon_smile.gif

doodledo Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 10:54am
post #9 of 66

Thank you for all the help. I am going to try the half pearl mold and see how that works.

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 31 Oct 2009 , 1:41am
post #10 of 66

It is personal perference, but I perfer the CK molds. They are the only molds out there that make a full round pearl. I only use my pearl clay in the pearl molds. It makes some of the most brilliant pearls.... and they are chocolate, too icon_smile.gif

Jen icon_smile.gif
PS - these are made with the CK mold and pearl clay.
LL

audrey0522 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
audrey0522 Posted 31 Oct 2009 , 11:28am
post #11 of 66

What is pearl clay? The cake is beautiful!!

doodledo Posted 31 Oct 2009 , 12:11pm
post #12 of 66

How beautiful. I also would love to know what pearl clay is. Is it easier to work with than fondant?

doodledo Posted 31 Oct 2009 , 2:36pm
post #13 of 66

I ordered the First Impression mold. Seems to be easier fr a beginner to work with.
I was woondering, if I make these a few days ahead of time. Should I just put them in an air tight container to they will be pliable enough to go around the cake when I decorate it? Or do I have touse right away?

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 31 Oct 2009 , 4:07pm
post #14 of 66

I oreder the CK one! We will have to compare after we get them and have time to play! icon_smile.gif

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 1 Nov 2009 , 11:03pm
post #15 of 66

There are two kinds of pearl molds I use -- I prefer the First Impression Molds one which is WAY easier to use, but the pearls are halved. If you look in my pix, at Megan's wedding cake, that's the mold I used for her pearl borders. I also have a CK one but you really have to learn how to use it and it's kind of tricky (I still have issues with mine.) For the pearls I love using Jennifer Dontz's Pearl Clay recipe, which is found on her Fondant Frills DVD. She also shows how to use the pearl clay in the CK pearl maker as well. If you look at the Tiffany box cake I did, the "tissue" part is done from pearl clay (which is a white chocolate/fondant mixture.) I highly recommend it. Good luck!! icon_biggrin.gif

tonedna Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 12:10am
post #16 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by doodledo

I ordered the First Impression mold. Seems to be easier fr a beginner to work with.
I was woondering, if I make these a few days ahead of time. Should I just put them in an air tight container to they will be pliable enough to go around the cake when I decorate it? Or do I have touse right away?

Is best to do them fresh.
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

tonedna Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 12:16am
post #17 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loucinda

I oreder the CK one! We will have to compare after we get them and have time to play! icon_smile.gif

Both of them look pretty at the end. The half pearls dont show as halfs if they are well put on the cake, but the mold is just easier for a beginner.
But the CK one does make beautiful full pearls. Just do require a bit more practice to get used to the mold. But it aint too bad.

And for the clay pearl, you need to buy Jenns DVD..is a very nice workable fondant. icon_smile.gif

Edna icon_biggrin.gif

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 12:33am
post #18 of 66

Yes, I bought the DVD too, so I should be ready to roll when it arrives, and just an FYI - I got an email from her with a refund on some of the shipping costs - it didn't cost as much to ship as what it automatically calculated, so she refunded me the difference. I will DEFINATELY do business with Jennifer at sugardelites.com again. icon_biggrin.gif

Now, I just can't wait for the stuff to get here!

JenniferMI Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 12:42am
post #19 of 66

Patience Cindy...patience....lol

I try very hard to be the best at my customer service!

Thanks!!!!

You know if you have questions, I'm here to help.

Jen icon_smile.gif

Rylan Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 12:50am
post #20 of 66

Loucinda, that is what I love about Jen. She is soo nice and totally helpful! I love her.

JenniferMI Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 12:52am
post #21 of 66

Thanks Rylan!

(((hugs)))

Jen icon_smile.gif

tonedna Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 12:54am
post #22 of 66

Hey where is my hug!..Im a fan too.. icon_lol.gif
Hope you are doing great Jen!
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

JenniferMI Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 12:56am
post #23 of 66

LOL hey Edna... I would NEVER forget you my friend, thank you!!!!!!

Double ((((((((hugs))))))))

Jen icon_smile.gif

Rylan Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 1:05am
post #24 of 66

(((((hugs)))))) Jen. Thank you for everything!

I also wanted to give Enda a BIG (((huggggg))). She is one of the people who helped me start in cake decorating early this year. Thanks Edna!

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 1:11am
post #25 of 66

Forget the hugs, I want big discounts!! icon_lol.gif

tonedna Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 1:32am
post #26 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwonderbuns

Forget the hugs, I want big discounts!! icon_lol.gif

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Everything is already on sale!!!!..lol
{{{{{{hugs}}}}} Rylan and Jenn icon_lol.gif
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

JenniferMI Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 3:03am
post #27 of 66

BWB - you crack me up!

Jen icon_smile.gif

luvchocolate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvchocolate Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 2:29am
post #28 of 66

I highly recommend Jen's DVD. Her pearl clay is wonderful to work with, and actually tastes good. It tastes so good that we snacked on the extra pearls I made for our 50th anniversary cake this summer.

Also, Jen's customer service is the best!

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 2:39am
post #29 of 66

jennifer .. helped me out tremendously(sp).. i couldn,t log onto to her site for one thing.. i thought i had put in an order. never heard from her.. then i contacted her on c/c/... she answered me quickly and made sure i got my products.. her dvd's are great. and so is her pearl clay and her fondant .. (her recipes).. taste great.. i do love the ck pearl makers best.. but that is my opinion.. and again.. lots of others opinions too.

JenniferMI Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 3:12am
post #30 of 66

Thank you sooo much! Glad you like the pearl clay!

Jen icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%