Am I In Over My Head?

Decorating By Mug-a-Bug Updated 29 Oct 2009 , 12:22am by Mug-a-Bug

Mug-a-Bug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mug-a-Bug Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 11:00pm
post #1 of 11

I've informally agreed to do somone's wedding cake. I let her know that I've never made a HUGE cake before. She sent me this link:

http://www.themakery.com/Cakes.php

Now I think maybe I'm over my head and I should just tell her that that cake is beyond my skill level?? Thoughts? icon_cry.gif

10 replies
Mug-a-Bug Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 11:10pm
post #2 of 11

Ooops, that link didn't work. It is this cake: http://www.themakery.com/Cakes/Wedding/images/hannah_02.jpg

ramie7224 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ramie7224 Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 11:16pm
post #3 of 11

How long do you have that you can practice? And does she want that many tiers? I would think the number one issue would be proper support with dowels, which isn't super difficult. There are lots of tutorials out there. Also working on the swags, but you can practice that on wax paper until you feel comfortable with it.

Mug-a-Bug Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 11:18pm
post #4 of 11

Wedding is not until end of January. So, def could make a practice cake. I'm not too worried about the swags, more so the smooth BC and stacking of the cake.

G_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
G_Cakes Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 11:33pm
post #5 of 11

If you go on you tube and search out tonedna she has videos that you can watch on how to make and get smooth buttercream....watch them and then practice practice practice!

I dont think it's out of your league I think your cakes are great!

Besides we never know what we can do unless we continue to challenge ourselves icon_smile.gif

ttehan4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ttehan4 Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 11:41pm
post #6 of 11

You could also use the scroll work pattern presses from wilton. I guess thats what you call them. There are a series of different cookie cutter looking presses and you use them to get the scroll outline on your cake and pipe over it. Pretty easy to do.

lisa78332 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lisa78332 Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 12:00am
post #7 of 11

for me, when i did my first large cake for a friend, i considered it as a way to get my feet wet. After that, i've done some others. Another one coming up this December for another friends 15th birthday party. The number one thing is don't underestimate yourself!

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 12:11am
post #8 of 11

The flowers look like silk. The cake itself is a pretty basic one. Those ruffles are really easy to do. Use a tip 104 and make a small e motion.

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 12:15am
post #9 of 11

Just think of it as 4 individual "all occasion" cakes that just happen to be stacked.

You could use real or gp flowers and get the SPS system for support. You can definitely do this one.....cc will be here to help you. icon_smile.gif

paulstonia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paulstonia Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 12:19am
post #10 of 11

Yes, those ruffles I learned in my first wilton class. Pretty basic. Find out if she plans on having real flowers or silk. Those don't look like sugar flowers to me.

Mug-a-Bug Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 12:22am
post #11 of 11

Luckily she wants real flowers (yay!). You all have given me a boost of confidence. Thanks, I will def post pictures of the outcome (although it's not until January). You're the best icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%