How Far Ahead To Decorate?

Decorating By travmand Updated 28 Oct 2009 , 11:25pm by travmand

travmand Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
travmand Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 4:04pm
post #1 of 14

I need to bring a cake to work on Friday and am busy all day Thursday. Would I be okay baking and decorating today and still have a fresh cake by Friday? Chris

13 replies
pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 4:14pm
post #2 of 14

yes, I always bake 2 days before, decorate the next day and deliver the following day. Cake will still be fresh. You could also bake several days ahead and freeze but you would be fine baking today for a cake on Friday.

bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 4:42pm
post #3 of 14

Hi, you will be fine. I also bake my cakes two days ahead and torte and fill in the night and let them rest over night. The day before crumbcoat and cover with fondant and decorate! icon_smile.gif

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 4:49pm
post #4 of 14

travmand, I'm glad you asked this question!!

I took on a wedding cake order for the Saturday after Thanksgiving, without even thinking about the date beforehand. Now I am trying not to panic about organizing for it along with thanksgiving dinner with the family. Guess I just need to bake ahead and have all cakes crumb coated by Wednesday evening and spend Friday icing/decorating. All will be done in basket weave. This is why I have the extra frig.

I've been out of cakes pretty much (selling anyway) since my cake buddy was killed a couple years ago. My confidence is way down and I'd actually hoped to discourage this bride from using me. That didn't happen. I'm trying to convince myself that this will turn out to be a blessing to me, but right now I'm just nervous. I have a dk choc round with ganache to do for the groom too. I hope all will be okay being in the frig Wed-Fri before the wedding. All will be in containers/boxes. Whew. Now I have to go think about something else.

riponk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
riponk Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 7:00pm
post #5 of 14

I'm new to this cake making and decorating. I'm doing my first cake with fondant. I made that last night (Tues) and have it in the fridge. I plan on baking the cake tonight (Wed) and decorating tomorrow (Thurs) for work on Friday. Should I put the cake in the fridge for the night until tomorrow (Thurs) when I put the fondant on it and decorate it?

bashini Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 7:03pm
post #6 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by riponkitslaar

I'm new to this caking making and decorating. I'm doing my first cake with fondant. I made that last night (Tues) and have it in the fridge. I plan on baking the cake tonight (Wed) and decorating tomorrow (Thurs) for work on Friday. Should I put the cake in the fridge for the night until tomorrow (Thurs) when I put the fondant on it and decorate it?

Hi there, if its for friday, you can bake it today, torte and fill and leave it outside, if the filling doesn't need to be refigerated. Then tomorrow you can crumbcoat and cover it with fondant and decorate. icon_smile.gif

tanyascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tanyascakes Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 7:06pm
post #7 of 14

I hate to hijack, but I have nearly the same problem. I have a cake for Saturday afternoon. But the client just called and wanted me to add fresh sliced strawberries to one of the fillings. Otherwise I would have been able to leave te fondant covered cake out in a box on Friday for the Saturday delivery. Now what can I do since I am afraid the strawberries will turn brown if they are out overnight?? Help, help!!!! TIA.

Tanya

Kims_cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kims_cakes Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 7:11pm
post #8 of 14

I think cakes taste much better after they have time to "rest", kinda like chili. It always tastes better the next day.

CarolAnn , I'm very sorry about your cake buddy. You will do great!

bashini Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 7:49pm
post #9 of 14

Hi Tanya, you can put the cake in the fridge, before and after covering with fondant. Tell your customer to put the cake in the fridge and take it out 2-3 hours before cutting it. And also tell not to touch when its coming to room temperature. If the room is an AC room it is much better. I know lot of decorators do this. icon_smile.gif

tanyascakes Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 8:06pm
post #10 of 14

Thanks for the advice, bashini! I will try tha out!

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 8:06pm
post #11 of 14

bashini wrote: "torte and fill and leave it outside"

Not here, the racoons would get it!!!

Sorry, I just couldn't resist that!!!

Kims_cakes - Thank you very much, you're sweet. I've been wanting to get back to doing cakes again, just not feeling exactly comfortable/smart doing it with a wedding cake. I'll be a bundle of nerves until I've gathered my things and come home. Well, after stopping at Sonic for a "stiff drink" of diet Dr P that is.

Won't the strawberries being encased in the filling and cake stop them from breaking down, at least for a while? That's what I hate about clients making changes. I usually tell mine there will be no changes after the order is in. That ought to be a load off their minds, one less thing to have to think about. Check it off the list of things to do.

tanyascakes Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 8:38pm
post #12 of 14

I am hoping that is the case, CarolAnn. But I wasn't sure, so I figured I had better ask someone else who might have tried it already. I have never added real fruit to my cakes, on the inside anyway. I really just wanted to leave it out in the box sine it is going to be a large football helmet and I don't have the extra fridge to put it into at the moment. Maybe I can get her to change her mind! Fingers crossed!!!!

elizacake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elizacake Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 8:56pm
post #13 of 14

You are correct...at least in my experience...the fruit won't break down because of the "seal" of frosting. No refrigeration required. icon_smile.gif

travmand Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
travmand Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 11:25pm
post #14 of 14

Well..I baked this morning and I am going to go ahead and decorate tonight. There's no way I can work on it tomorrow. So...tonight I think I'm going to hide the finished cake in the back of my Blazer in the garage (I live in WI) until Friday. Thanks all!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%