Doh! Big Mistake, Almost...

Lounge By mkolmar Updated 2 Nov 2009 , 4:47am by mkolmar

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 9:06pm
post #1 of 10

Always find out who your pastry/cake items are for.

I was told at work to make 300 mini items. I asked what do they want. Anything, just do your thing, I trust you the Executive Chef tells me.
So I make 4 different pastries for this event on top of the other event items and my normal baking duties. Up to my eyeballs in work. I even go in and put in a full day on my day off. Glad I did because I had made a Chocolate Bourbon cake that I was letting sit for 2 days to get a better flavor. I tore it up to make into something similar to a rum ball or a cake ball. I went and added more strong whiskey. Wanted to make sure you could really get the flavor. That's when the Chef comes by and asked "What are you using the whiskey for?" I told him and he starts laughing. Says I can't use what I put together. I look at him and say "Why not, you better be pulling my leg." That's when the Chef says....."The items are for Alcoholics Anonymous."

9 replies
mim1106 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mim1106 Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 9:08pm
post #2 of 10

OH MY!!! So glad he saw you putting the whiskey in, that could have been VERY bad!

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 9:37pm
post #3 of 10

Ha! Yeah, my mom, bless her heart made chocolate brownies for a get together at my place a few years ago and drizzled icing mixed with Grand Marnier all over them. One of our friends could totally taste it, but by then most of us had eaten them. Oh well. No harm no foul. But intentionally serving them, that's a bad idea. Dang, I bet they were good mkolmar! icon_biggrin.gif

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 1:28am
post #4 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkolmar

Always find out who your pastry/cake items are for.

I was told at work to make 300 mini items. I asked what do they want. Anything, just do your thing, I trust you the Executive Chef tells me.
So I make 4 different pastries for this event on top of the other event items and my normal baking duties. Up to my eyeballs in work. I even go in and put in a full day on my day off. Glad I did because I had made a Chocolate Bourbon cake that I was letting sit for 2 days to get a better flavor. I tore it up to make into something similar to a rum ball or a cake ball. I went and added more strong whiskey. Wanted to make sure you could really get the flavor. That's when the Chef comes by and asked "What are you using the whiskey for?" I told him and he starts laughing. Says I can't use what I put together. I look at him and say "Why not, you better be pulling my leg." That's when the Chef says....."The items are for Alcoholics Anonymous."

LOL! That's hilarious! icon_lol.gif

mkolmar Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 3:13am
post #5 of 10

Yeah, I'm glad he told me. That would have been horrible.
Thought you all could use an ironic laughing spree.

ccr03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccr03 Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 4:24pm
post #6 of 10

Hilarious! When I make my tres leches cake I always ask if kids are gonna be there too, if so I don't put liquor in it.

ONce at my aunt's, she ordered a tres leches (not from me) and specifically told them she did not want it liquored up b/c if was for her kid's bday. You guessed it - it had liquor and all us adults could tell. Good thing the kids just ate the frosting!

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 5:05pm
post #7 of 10

Wow! The Chef really should have told you that from the beginning.

Unless it's something absolutely drenched in alcohol, I don't worry about kids eating it. For instance, my tiramisu has about 1/2 cup of marsala wine in a 9x13 pan, my strawberry tiramisu has about 2 tbsp each golden rum and grand marnier for a 9x13 pan, and my fruit cake has both rum (most of which gets cooked out) and brandy in it. All the kids in our family have eaten all 3.

mrspriss0912 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrspriss0912 Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 12:13am
post #8 of 10

OMG that is too funny I am glad that you found out before it was too late though icon_lol.gif

cabecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cabecakes Posted 1 Nov 2009 , 10:46pm
post #9 of 10

OMG disaster averted. Could you imagine. You could have sent a whole room full of recoverer on an alcohol binge. It's a good thing he saw the bottle of alcohol. So what did you do with it.

mkolmar Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 4:47am
post #10 of 10

I put the mixture in a Ziplock Freezer bag, labeled it and tossed it into the freezer to be used down the road. Luckily, I didn't form or dip the balls yet. However, if I did I would have used it for a side dessert for the residence. I ended up making chocolate peanut butter cake, cut out into rounds and covered in ganache for the nursing home residence that day. I took the scraps from those full sheet cakes that I cut out and used it instead. I added melted peanut butter and chocolate as a binder, formed and dipped in chocolate to set. These seem to go over well (as well as the other pastries) for the AA group. Thank goodness it was caught and they didn't get the whiskey ones.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%