R2D2 Cake Need Help???

Decorating By Lauren251 Updated 2 Nov 2009 , 11:40am by vagostino

Lauren251 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lauren251 Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 1:56pm
post #1 of 6

I am making an R2D2 cake in a few weeks and I have some ideas about how to construct this, but I wanted to know if anyone had any suggestions, tips or anything from you guys who have tried it before or even if you haven't.

I am thinking I am going to use a 7" round for the body well 3 of them. The top will be the sports ball pan (1/2 of it.) The arms I will make out of rice krispies with, which I have never used before. Any tips would be appreciated as to what recipe to use and when it is best to carve.

I have not quite figured out the structure part of it. I need something sturdy enough to hold 6 layers of cake plus the top will be 7. I am thinking of making my own stand and screwing a dowel into my base so it will be sturdy.

Thanks in advance. icon_smile.gif

5 replies
FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 1:59pm
post #2 of 6
Poetria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Poetria Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 12:26am
post #3 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlourPots

Here's a really great photo tutorial: http://www.bsideblog.com/2008/06/making-the-most-amazing-r2d2-c.php

This tutorial is for a smaller version: http://smartmama.blogspot.com/2008/03/how-to-make-r2d2-cake.html

After reading the two links, I am still iffy about how to best attach the legs....any ideas??

vagostino Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vagostino Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 12:38am
post #4 of 6

What I did was put two skewers into the arms, one on the top and the other one half way and then I "Stabbed" the arm into the body of the cake. Also, before doing this I put a lot of white chocolate in the body (midway only) and held it for a minute to make sure it was secure.

Poetria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Poetria Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 12:52am
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by vagostino

What I did was put two skewers into the arms, one on the top and the other one half way and then I "Stabbed" the arm into the body of the cake. Also, before doing this I put a lot of white chocolate in the body (midway only) and held it for a minute to make sure it was secure.

You put white chocolate as a layer, or used it to just hold the arms on? Thanks for your help! I have to do one next weekend...

vagostino Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vagostino Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 11:40am
post #6 of 6

I put the white chocolate on the outside of the body of R2D2 to glue the arms on. Just an extra step. Also, what happened to me was that the body wasn't really straight so when you put the arms on they were not touching the cake in some parts. So the white chocolate really helped because I just piped more on those areas AFTER the arms were attached just to fill the gaps. Since it was white chocolate you couldn't really see it. I took a skewer and scrape the overflowing. PM if you have any questions as you go along.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%