Shipping Question

Decorating By shebaben Updated 27 Oct 2009 , 3:29am by Santa_Kitchen

shebaben Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shebaben Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 2:56am
post #1 of 3

Our son would love for me to ship a cake and some cookies from Georgia to Ohio. What's the best way to go about this in terms of stability of the ingredients AND the packaging? Thanks - PAT

2 replies
prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 3:02am
post #2 of 3

In my experience, pound cake and fruit cake are the only cakes that really survive shipping well. Put them in a plastic (I use Rubbermaid ones) container that is as small as possible to hold the cake. Fill any empty spaces around the cake with wadded up plastic wrap. Wrap the container in plastic wrap just to make sure the lid doesn't somehow come off during shipping. Have the plastic container put into a shipping box suspended among styro peanuts.

For cookies, individually wrap each cookie in plastic wrap and then a sheet of paper towel. Pack the cookies in a sturdy container as full as possible. Fill in any gaps between cookies with wadded up pieces of paper towel. Wrap the container in plastic wrap. Have the container put into a shipping box suspended among styro peanuts. If the cookies are especially fragile ones (i.e. decorated sugar or gingerbread rather than drop or bar cookies), wrap each cookie in bubble wrap instead of paper towel.

Santa_Kitchen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Santa_Kitchen Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 3:29am
post #3 of 3

I ship mines, you can find pics in 1 of my posts. Even 3 tier cakes, but i only ship fondant ones. Cake base are foam boards, and dowels from top to base. I cover mines with plastic wrap after fondant is completely dry (i don't want wrinkles in my fondant), put them with a special container with dry ice. Completely label "fragile" and "This side Up" write all sides of the cake, insured(extra helped to make sure it arrives safely) and priority mail of course. You should have no problem!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%