Nut Free

Decorating By Wingit Updated 27 Oct 2009 , 5:39am by ceshell

Wingit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wingit Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 11:11pm
post #1 of 3

Hi there, how do you make sure there are no traces of nuts in cake reciepes and ingredients? Do cake mixes have traces of nuts? How do you make sure of this?

I have a request for 50 cupcakes and a 10inch cake for a christening and making sure there are no traces of nuts.

Very nervous!

2 replies
prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 11:49pm
post #2 of 3

I bake everything from scratch, so it's easy to keep everything nut-free.

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 5:39am
post #3 of 3

Me too but you also need to consider if you use nuts in your kitchen and whether or not traces of nuts can be transferred from your equipment into the mix, icing or filling. You've got your mixer, paddle/whisk, spatulas, cake pans, measuring cups, cooling racks, etc. You might want to read up on what kinds of cleaning rituals you might need to do if the nut allergy is so severe that even trace amounts can cause someone to get ill. I baked a nut-free cake for an peanut-allergic boy earlier in the year, but his mother assured me that his allergy was mild and that as long as I'd run everything through the dishwasher prior to use, there was no risk.

As for the mixes, you can check if the mfr stated on the box "contains no..." or "processed on equipment shared with..." as they often do. Or check out the websites, they often post that information there. Unless of course another CCer who already knows happens to see this!

Good luck with your order!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%