Others Using Your Cookie/cake To Promote Their Cutters/pans

Business By KitchenConvert Updated 2 Nov 2009 , 3:31am by myslady

KitchenConvert Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KitchenConvert Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 3:18pm
post #1 of 13

I have received a proposal via e-mail from a woman who is trying to start a cookie cutter company, and she wants me to decorate some cookies for her that use her cutters. I don't think she actually decorates cookies herself, so she wants a "professional" look for her ads and promotional materials, website, media kits, etc. I do not think this is a "wholesale" situation, where she wants me to make cookies that she would sell, I think she would want to bring samples to trade shows, stores who might carry her product, etc.

I'm meeting with her this Friday and feel I should have an idea of what I would be asking for out of this situation. I think that if done right, this could help drive some business my way too, since she doesn't compete with me on actually decorating cookies (but, it looks like she may want to offer decorating parties for kids, which is something that I do/plan to offer).

What options should I consider when meeting with her? Here are a few I came up with:
1) Treat this as any normal custom order--I charge her whatever it would normally cost, the cookies are hers to do whatever she pleases with afterwards.
2) Possibly give her some sort of ongoing discount, with the understanding that my work would somehow be credited on her website/each photo, labels, etc.
3) Work something out with her (either discount or full price) for the first few orders she wants, then, re-negotiate based on how her business grows (or doesn't grow)--in some ways, I would hate to be locked into a large discount if she gets really big and needs a ton of sample kits, etc.

Other options? Has anyone else been asked for this? I'm flattered that she came to me, but just want to make sure I know what I should be considering. Thanks!!

12 replies
Lcubed82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lcubed82 Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 3:44pm
post #2 of 13

Not a cookie pro, but I was thinking #2 sounds reasonable, with a time frame for re-evaluation of terms after you see how it is going. Don't discount too much right now- you may end up with too much work at that price, or not enough to make the discounted price worth your while.

I have heard this here- you can always go down, but it is hard to go up.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 4:18pm
post #3 of 13

I say number 2 as well.I know that c o p p e r g i f t s .com invites customer to submit a picture of the cookie they made with their copper cutters....I don't know if they offer a discount but I would try it on a trial basis and see what happens.You can always opt out if it is not what you are looking for.And do make sure your cookie work is credited!!!!

RachieRach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RachieRach Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 5:18pm
post #4 of 13

This sounds like a good opportunity. A couple of thoughts:

- I wouldn't give too deep of a discount (if at all). Are her cutters copper or tin? If copper, she'll recoup her investment pretty quickly. Remember, your 1 cookie, could sell hundreds (or thousands) of cookie cutters.
- I'm also curious if this would turn into sales for you. Most people shopping for cookie cutters aren't looking for already baked cookies.
- This could be an opportunity to build your name. Perhaps have a branded corner on her site/ brochure with a seasonal recipe or cookie cutter tips. Great place to plug your services.
- Obviously if she wants a big order, a discount could be a good idea. But remember, as much as she could potentially help your business. Your services will definitely help her business.

adree313 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adree313 Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 6:12pm
post #5 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by RachieRach

- I'm also curious if this would turn into sales for you. Most people shopping for cookie cutters aren't looking for already baked cookies.

this is also what i was thinking. i don't think it'd be unreasonable for you to charge her full price, because i just don't see how much business from other people you could really get.

this was just what was going on in my pea brain. i have no experience with this AT ALL! icon_smile.gif

KitchenConvert Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 7:52pm
post #6 of 13

Thanks everyone, for the input so far! I am leaning towards option #2 as well, but maybe I'll go in NOT offering a discount and "negotiate" towards a small one, if that is what she is asking for--not sure what exactly she wants quite yet.

I do think it's appropriate to have my work credited--even if it may not lead to more sales, so I'll have that on my "must" list....and the other thing it may help with is if people are searching for certain cookies/designs on something like google, if they find her website with my image, they may be interested in purchasing the cookies, not the cutters, so hopefully a bit more exposure for us!

Thanks and other opinions are welcome as well icon_smile.gif

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 8:01pm
post #7 of 13

Let us know when the website is up, so we can take a look.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

myslady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
myslady Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 8:25pm
post #8 of 13

IMO she should not get a discount.

If she is going to credit your work, make sure she is a person you want others to know you are in a business relationship with. While she is representing her business she is representing your business as well.

Make sure you have a clearly defined contract with her that defines how she is and is not allowed to do with your product. She may not initially sell cookies, but since yours are so nice she may start and with you not around how would you know.

Other things to note:
How often will you be doing cookies for her?
How long will she keep the cookies you made?
How much notice will she give you for the order? Will it be a one time thing or an ongoing order?
How many cookies will she be ordering?

Ursula40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ursula40 Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 4:06am
post #9 of 13

And also, will you be able to keep the cutter?

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 4:10am
post #10 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ursula40

And also, will you be able to keep the cutter?

I think you must like cookie cutters as much as I do icon_biggrin.gif

Because that's all I was thinking while I was reading it, are they interesting cutters and do you get to KEEP them? icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

KitchenConvert Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 10:35am
post #11 of 13

Good point, myslady! I really know very little about her at this point....and don't think her business is quite up and running. She seems pretty responsible and responsive so far...but you're right, I'd want to make sure it would be a good thing to be affiliated icon_smile.gif

Funny you mentioned her potentially selling the cookies without my knowledge--we just started at a local farmer's market, and my dad had to cover my booth this week as I wasn't able to go. My dad told me that a woman who owned a children's clothing store came and bought 2 dozen...and he delivered them to the store for her. Of course my first thought was that maybe she had bought them to sell at her store (for a hefty markup)??! As it turns out, she bought them for her daughter's Halloween party at school icon_smile.gif

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 2:42pm
post #12 of 13

I'm with Texas Rose...

Are you going to get to keep the cutters? If so then maybe do a swap, cutter retail price for the same amount of cookies. Let the cutters amount be the discount you give. No different than if you out & out purchased her cutters and she out & out purchased your cookies the money would end up the same. And reciprocate the business "plug" Put on your website that you proudly use XYZ cookie cutters! AND expand your marketing to maybe sell them to customers. That way those that might be inclined to try the cookie thing for their home use you still made a sale. And most will only use them for Christmas time as a fun thing to do with their kids. They will more than likely still come to you for those custom special occasion cookies.

myslady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
myslady Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 3:31am
post #13 of 13

LOL that is too funny.

Hopefully this turns out to be a great business venture for you and you get to use and keep some cookie cutters. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%