Need Ideas For Witch's Brew Cake

Decorating By snocilla Updated 31 Oct 2009 , 10:11am by snocilla

snocilla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snocilla Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 10:41pm
post #1 of 11

I'm making a cake with a small stand-up witch stirring a brew in a cauldron, for my office for Halloween. To get more servings, I am adding a 2 in 9x13 cake as a base. But I'm having a mental block on what should go on the base cake. I thinking maybe grass and then some rocks around the base of the cauldron. I feel like it needs some kind of border, and maybe something in the grass, maybe something around the sides of it. Any help would be greatly appreciated. TIA!

10 replies
snocilla Posted 25 Oct 2009 , 1:19am
post #2 of 11

Giving myself a bump....

bbmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bbmom Posted 25 Oct 2009 , 1:27am
post #3 of 11

Are you thinking of adding a design on the sides of the 9x13? If so what about traditional halloween symbols, so if the base is green for the grass you could add orange pumpkins, black cats, bats maybe the words bubble bubble toil and trouble...or some witch's brew ingredients like eye of newt and so forth.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 25 Oct 2009 , 1:28am
post #4 of 11

Yeah that sounds good...maybe some old looking piped branches and some pale grass and a few ugly weed/flowers sort of things...a few spiders.

That, or make it look like an old wooden floor with spiders and webs and a broom but I'm not sure if you are using fondant or buttercream or which would be easier. icon_smile.gif

snocilla Posted 25 Oct 2009 , 1:30am
post #5 of 11

I do like the idea of the wooden floor, with spider webs around...

snocilla Posted 25 Oct 2009 , 10:43am
post #6 of 11

I've decided to add a black cat beside the witch - Thx bbmom. Kitagrl - any idea how to do a wooden floor with buttercream? I was kind of hoping to not use fondant... I don't have an airbrush either. I may just stick with the grass, not sure yet.

SandiOh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandiOh Posted 25 Oct 2009 , 11:30am
post #7 of 11

what about if the witches are in a grave yard, so the 9x13 can be grass, dirt, grave with tombstone, with some snakes, bugs, maybe bones or zombie hands?

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 1:18am
post #8 of 11

You could pipe the floors with a nice flat basketweave tip (not the ridges, just the flat....) The bigger sized one.... Or even just ice it smooth and then take a skewer or something and imprint lines after it crusts, or an impression mat.

snocilla Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 3:35pm
post #9 of 11

Well, here it is! I decided not to do the hardwood floors, and made dirt instead. I added a spiderweb, some pumpkins, and a black cat. The bottom ended up a lot thinner than I had planned simply because I didn't make enough batter, so I couldn't really fit anything around the sides.

Thank you all for your tips and inspiration!

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1503285

letsgetcaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
letsgetcaking Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 4:20pm
post #10 of 11

It turned out great! I love the look of the dirt floor. All of your details are great, especially the frog legs. icon_smile.gif

snocilla Posted 31 Oct 2009 , 10:11am
post #11 of 11

Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%