Black Fondont

Decorating By bntbushnell Updated 25 Oct 2009 , 12:26am by lthiele

bntbushnell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bntbushnell Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 10:25pm
post #1 of 20

I love all the black and white cakes, but im having trouble making a true black fondont or gumpaste...whats the secret to making black. thanks

19 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 10:39pm
post #2 of 20

Start with chocolate fondant and then add americolor Super black or a whole lot of Wilton black.

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 10:48pm
post #3 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rose

Start with chocolate fondant and then add americolor Super black or a whole lot of Wilton black.

agree 100 %

kello Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kello Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 10:49pm
post #4 of 20

Ditto on that!!!

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 10:54pm
post #5 of 20

For the black on the cake I just posted, I mixed some leftover colored fondants together...dark green, purple, & light brownish orange...once I had that nasty looking combination, I added black coloring...didn't take much at all.

PuffCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PuffCake Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 10:56pm
post #6 of 20

You can't go wrong with Americolor Super Black. If you make your own, add it before the powdered sugar and it's even easier...no kneading the color in!

nastassia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nastassia Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 11:01pm
post #7 of 20

what if you bought the pre-made wilton fondant? then how do u go about coloring it black?

and on that note, I'm having trouble even coloring the fondant, I'm using the wilton food coloring that u use for buttercream icing...and I supposed to be buying a special fondant coloring too?

erin_e Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erin_e Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 12:05am
post #8 of 20

I've found that I prefer to wimp out and just buy the premade black fondant. Other than that I've found that you just have to use a LOT of coloring or start with something else colored already and just repurpose leftovers like mentioned above.

To nastassia: I don't necessarily know what you mean that you're having trouble in general. I don't buy any different colors but I have found that it mainly takes persistance. I tend to flatten out the fondant a bit, put color in the middle, and then fold it back onto itself. It takes a while for the color to come through but it does eventually. I've found (at least w/ the wilton colors) you have to use a bit more with the fondant than bc.
~I haven't found a much better method that keeps my hands from being covered in color.

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 12:26am
post #9 of 20

The best way (in my opinion) to color fondant is to microwave it first. It becomes so pliable that blending is super easy.

I won't do it any other way, no matter what color it is.
After that, I also flatten, put color in the middle, and fold onto itself as erin_e said.

bntbushnell Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 12:46am
post #10 of 20

so far ive never seen the premade black fondont in the stores, i buy the white wilton fondont...and add colors

Skirt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Skirt Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 12:57am
post #11 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by erin_e

I've found that I prefer to wimp out and just buy the premade black fondant.

Me too!! I don't think it's wimping out either. GSA sells Satin Ice super cheap and it lasts forever if you store it properly. Other colors I do myself but red and black are ordered. One less headache... icon_smile.gif

Peridot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peridot Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 1:05am
post #12 of 20

Buy Satin Ice! I don't think it is wimping out either. I don't like to stand there and add all of that color and knead and knead and add more color and knead and then in the end it is not what I want and the fondant starts to cause problems because of all the color that is added. Don't do black or red.

cabecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cabecakes Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 1:22am
post #13 of 20

When I want to make black (but I make MMF) I just add cocoa to my marshmallows while they are melting. Once I remove from microwave I stir in my black color. Then mix with powdered sugar as I normally would. Just remember to cover your work surface, and I use plastic gloves to keep my hands from getting stained. Sometimes when I'm in a hurry, I'll just mix it up right in my KA.

kel58 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kel58 Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 2:15am
post #14 of 20

I just tried the "True Black MMF" receipe posted by Jayde. It worked fantstic. You mix the colour into you choc/marshmellow so there is not need to do all the kneading! Tastes great and its cheap.

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/6971/true-black-mmf

crumbcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crumbcake Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 2:43am
post #15 of 20

Satin Ice, black, red, and purple are the one I usually purchase. How easy is that!

ksmith1012 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ksmith1012 Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 3:20am
post #16 of 20

I havent found a hobby store who carries Satin Ice. Try local cake decorator supply stores near you, or try any one of the websites mentioned above if you prefer to shop online. However, if all you have on hand are wilton colors, I've found it best to start with a dark color, like blue or brown. I did this a few weeks ago- I had some extra light blue around, I added some royal blue coloring, red, yellow (per wilton color chart) and got it a real nasty color. Then I only had to add a small amount of wilton black and was able to achieve a true black. Remember to let it set for a while- colors always become darker after sitting for some time. Also- dont try to go straight from white to black- you will get grey, or you may get a black but you will use your whole bottle! (unless you try Americolor's super black) HTH! Best of luck!

lutie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lutie Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 3:38am
post #17 of 20

On one of the forum posts regarding butter cream, several people said they used Black Cocoa (you can get it from King Arthur for about $7.00 plus or minus for 16 ounces)...it makes your icing turn Oreo black...just fold it into your fondant (I make my own using Michelle Foster's recipe...there is no reason to buy it, as this tastes great).

bntbushnell Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 3:06pm
post #18 of 20

Thank you so much, you guys have been very helpful!

Sweetsbym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweetsbym Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 3:17pm
post #19 of 20

Use Americolor Supaaahhhh black! icon_biggrin.gif

lthiele Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lthiele Posted 25 Oct 2009 , 12:26am
post #20 of 20

Does anyone find that the pre-made black is really hard to work with? The one I buy over here has a completely different texture to the standard white. I had to throw a batch out yesterday - so frustrating it kept tearing. In the end I had to knead it with some white and then add tylose, just to get it on the cake. icon_mad.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%