Can They Do That???

Business By AmandaKate Updated 25 Oct 2009 , 2:08am by Ruth0209

AmandaKate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmandaKate Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 7:52pm
post #1 of 10

I just started decorating cakes and have sold a few to people by word of mouth......def. don't have a business yet but am seriously thinking about it for the future... icon_rolleyes.gif

There is only ONE bakery in town and they are also the only place you can get a wedding cake (besides Price Chopper).....so I decided to make a trip in there today and snoop a little bit. Check out prices and what they're making

While I was in there I noticed a large poster behind the main register with the bakery's name in the center and a collage of wedding cake photos in the background. As I was looking at each picture I began to RECOGNIZE some of them from a cake decorating book that I have....Wilton Wedding Cakes: A Romantic Portfolio

Can they put up pictures of cakes they didn't make??? Does everyone do this and I'm just completely unaware of it? icon_confused.gif

9 replies
brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 8:42pm
post #2 of 10

its a grey area. if they are claiming wilton pictures are ones they made, then thats unfair to the customers (and wilton).
but some people will show pictures of things they could do, if they had the chance - so they have the skills, but havent been asked to make a cake like that.
does sound a bit questionable, just cause id assume a poster would be cakes they had actually made.
xx

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 8:47pm
post #3 of 10

Wilton might have given them permission.

SpringFlour Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpringFlour Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 9:00pm
post #4 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleM77

Wilton might have given them permission.

That's what I was thinking. Perhaps the poster is something you can get from Wilton, and then you can personalize it.

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 9:18pm
post #5 of 10

Maybe those photos are stock photos that are purchasable. Maybe not. I don't like the idea of using someone elses work for display of any kind. I think it's false advertising.

AmandaKate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmandaKate Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 9:29pm
post #6 of 10

well they had a couple of actual cakes on display ontop of their cases......and one of the cakes was also it's own poster up on the wall.......so obviously they've made that one...

Yea it seemed a bit sketchy since there was no mention on or around the poster that said "Wilton" and there were other cake pictures mixed in (maybe from other Wilton books, I'm not sure)

I just know that before I realized that I'd seen the pictures before....I thought that I was looking at pictures of cakes they had made in the past.....It really gave me a bad vibe

OfficerMorgan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OfficerMorgan Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 9:30pm
post #7 of 10

Only with Wilton's permission.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 10:52pm
post #8 of 10

There was a bakery here who was doing that, so I emailed Wilton and played like I wanted to do the same thing to see what they would say. They said that you're not allowed to use their photos for promotional purposes. So no, they're probably not doing that with permission.

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 25 Oct 2009 , 1:49am
post #9 of 10

decopac and bakery carafts supply bakeries with stock pictures to use, i'm sure thats what you saw.

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 25 Oct 2009 , 2:08am
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

There was a bakery here who was doing that, so I emailed Wilton and played like I wanted to do the same thing to see what they would say. They said that you're not allowed to use their photos for promotional purposes. So no, they're probably not doing that with permission.

Very wily of you costumeczar. I like your style.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%