Freaking Out, Need Help! Cake Leaning!

Business By CakeMommyTX Updated 24 Oct 2009 , 4:58am by CakeDiva73

CakeMommyTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommyTX Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 4:43pm
post #1 of 19

I came in to put the finishing touchs on a cake due today at 3pm and it's leaning.
It's stacked and 99% done, from the front it looks fine, you can only see the lean from one side and it's sturdy so I don't think it will fall over but it is visble.
It's a haunted house so the lean kinda works with it but since a lean is'nt in the design it sticks out like a sore thumb to me
I'm not sure if I have enough time to take it apart and fix it, and if I do how do I fix a lean? I've never had a lean like this before.
It's a 8",6",4" with a 10",8" and 6" inbetween those so have 6 potential culprits in the lean.
I really am freaking out, I'm afraid I will detstroy it taking it apart and not have enough time to fix it and chill it for delivery!

I don't have my camera with me but here is one I took with my phone, you can't see the detail but you can see the lean, is it as bad as I think it is and how do I fix it? This is the side veiw, you can't see the lean from the front.
LL

18 replies
Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 4:46pm
post #2 of 19

You can try and drive a wooden dowel down thru the top and all the way down to the bottom to try and straightenen it but honestly...I don't think you have enough time to pull it apart without making a mess.It doesn't look that bad but hopefully will survive the delivery.

CakeMommyTX Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 4:48pm
post #3 of 19

It has a 1/2" wooden dowel through the center already.
I'm certain it will make delivery it's just the lean looks so tacky to me, but it's weird because it's only visible from one side, the other 3 don't look like they are leaning?!?

CakeMommyTX Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 5:23pm
post #4 of 19

ok so I now I really don't have time to fix it and make it to the delivery on time. Do I offer a discount or wait and see if they complain about the leaning?

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 5:28pm
post #5 of 19

Wait. Do not offer anything unless they mention it. I know that is the side view, but you may have to make it the back. Got my fingers crossed for ya.

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 5:33pm
post #6 of 19

I would wait, cause I don't see anything wrong with it. It's a Halloween cake and I don't see the lean, cause it defiently blends into the design.

TitiaM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TitiaM Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 5:38pm
post #7 of 19

I'd say it works just fine with the design.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 6:35pm
post #8 of 19

Don't offer any money back unless the customer mentions it or complains.She may just think it is part of the design.

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 6:56pm
post #9 of 19

Cakemommy, you are being overly critical...The "lean" you are speaking of adds to the character of the cake. Aren't all old rickety haunted houses suppose to lean a little? I always thought so! Looks great! Don't worry about it at all!

stsapph Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stsapph Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 7:12pm
post #10 of 19

As other's have said, I think the lean actually adds to the design! Since it seems sturdy, I wouldn't worry about it unless the customer says something, but I would be thrilled to get that cake. Looks great and I'm sure they will enjoy it as well.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 7:30pm
post #11 of 19

I agree with the rest of the posts - just be quiet and if they say something, then address it. You're lucky it is a halloween haunted house cake! icon_biggrin.gificon_wink.gif

rosiecast Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rosiecast Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 7:52pm
post #12 of 19

I think it looks great. The lean goes with the whole haunted house theme. isn't that a requirement fo all haunted houses- that they be crooked/leaning/missing pieces?

I hope to see more detailed pics.

CakeMommyTX Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 10:02pm
post #13 of 19

ok here's a better pic of the cake, lean and all.
the more i look at it the more the lean rears it's ugly head!
it's on it's way to the delivery right now, had to leave at 3pm for a hour+ car ride in 80 degree heat so fingers crossed it's ok.
i'll check with my sexy delivery guy in a sec (hubby hehehe)

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1497015&sub=1497020&done=1

man I wish I could have gotton better pics of it, it was so shiny from the paint that the flash was ruining all the shots, oh well.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 10:18pm
post #14 of 19

Dude, charge 'em extra for the expertise used in the degree of difficulty!

icon_lol.gif

TitiaM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TitiaM Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 10:20pm
post #15 of 19

I don't know what you're talking about it looks great!!!! Very cool

SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 11:02pm
post #16 of 19

Just keep telling yourself:
"I meant to do that! Haunted houses are crooked! I meant to do that!" icon_biggrin.gif

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 2:09am
post #17 of 19

The cake is fantastic! The lean just adds to the charm! icon_smile.gif I had this happen once when I made my own drum out of cardboard rounds; cake was too heavy. It didn't look so nice on a 4 tier wedding cake! icon_sad.gif

OfficerMorgan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OfficerMorgan Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 4:49am
post #18 of 19

Your cake is spectacular. I love it. I hope they don't notice the lean!

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 4:58am
post #19 of 19

Sorry but I think the second picture looks even better then the first. If a Halloween cake leans, it kind of does blend. I think it looks awesome but I am always my own worst critic so I get it....

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%