Chocolate Transfer Help Please. . .

Decorating By forheavenscake Updated 25 Oct 2009 , 1:08pm by JenniferMI

forheavenscake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
forheavenscake Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 4:14pm
post #1 of 13

So now that I have done my first chocolate transfer I am in LOVE!

I have a cake due tomorrow that will have black sillhouette's of a poodle around the bottom tier. My original idea was to do black fondant but it isn't turning out how I wanted it to. I am having to cut it out with my razer (not cutout) and the edges aren't smooth and I'm just not happy with it.

So then I though the chocolate transfer would give me the clean look i am after, plus I really want to do more to practice. But here is my concern. . .How will I stick the chocolate to the cake without it falling off? It is heavier than fondant and isn't sticky like fondant can be, so how do I do this? Just use buttercream behind it?

Any help is MUCH appreciated! i couldn't do this without you girls!

12 replies
ambernd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ambernd Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 4:35pm
post #2 of 13

buttercream should hold it on fine, but i think the only concern would be that you transfer will be flat and your cake will be curved, unless you are doing a square cake?

forheavenscake Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 4:38pm
post #3 of 13

Yes that was my NEXT concern. . LOL

No I am using a 10 in, round. My thought for this process is that I am going to do the transfer on the side of the pan, hoping it will dry with a slight curve to it.

What do you think? Does that sound like it would work?

bbmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bbmom Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 4:48pm
post #4 of 13

I would use a dab of the melted chocolate to stick it on.

ambernd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ambernd Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 4:48pm
post #5 of 13

In theory it should work, if everything lines up just right, you may have to adjust the buttercream depth behind it to make it fit just right. Good Luck I have never done a rounded on before, maybe someone else would know better what to do thereicon_smile.gif

sugaah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugaah Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 4:51pm
post #6 of 13

So, for my information, a chocolate transfer sheet is not flexible to begin with? It will not conform to a curve easily? Let me know before I purchase them!! Thanx

forheavenscake Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 4:56pm
post #7 of 13

I am not using a chocolate transfer sheet, so I don't know how those work.

I am just going to put wax paper taped to the pan and fill in my design and pray it forms the right way! LOL I think with the buttercream to fill in any gaps between the chocolate and cake should be just fine. (I hope anyway)

This should be interesting!

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 5:00pm
post #8 of 13

you should be fine........I would just glue it on with a little dab of bc if your bc isn't crusted when you put them on it should stick nicely just to the cake itself. Here is a cake I did with chocolate transfers on the side. I did exactlly lilke you're saying, let them harden on the side of the pan.
LL

forheavenscake Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 5:19pm
post #9 of 13

Perfect! Thanks! (super cute cake btw!)

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 1:43pm
post #10 of 13

thanks...........they didn't end up being "exactlly" a perfect fit but I just squirted a little bc on the backs and smooshed em' up there and they were fine. They weren't off enough for anyone to notice anyhow

forheavenscake Posted 25 Oct 2009 , 1:04am
post #11 of 13

I had to do the same (see the finished product in my photos). They were So super fragile! Next time I'll try to make them a little thicker, but they did the job. I love learning, but hate this trial and error stage. LOL

Thanks for all the help!

JanelleH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanelleH Posted 25 Oct 2009 , 4:35am
post #12 of 13

If chocolate is not a requirement, you could use black colorflow icing (basically thin Royal Icing). Just do it on the same shape pan as you are baking your cake in.

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 25 Oct 2009 , 1:08pm
post #13 of 13

I love using CTs.... I usually attach them with dots of buttercream so they stick up from the surface of the cake. Or, if you want them standing, attach to a stick with melted choc.

Jen icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%