I Am In Red Fondant, Hexagon Hell!

Decorating By ttehan4 Updated 27 Oct 2009 , 5:19pm by Shawnswife

ttehan4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ttehan4 Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 10:48pm
post #1 of 20

I have a 5 tier hexagon wedding cake for Saturday. I bought the hexagon pan set and i got the top 4 tiers done. Now I have to carve a larger hexagon for the bottom tier, because there is not a pan the size I need. Well its in the freezer so we'll see how that goes. Oh, did I mention that I already smashed my hand through one of the cakes I had for the bottom tier and threw it all over the kitchen table... yeah, well I was very frustrated.

Now I have one tier left that gets red fondant. Its every other tier red, white. This is the large red tier and my red fondant is just tearing apart when I try to lift it onto the cake. I know its like this because of the red coloring. Is there any way to get it to a texture that wont tear as easy? I think Im going to go to fondx from now on and order red when I need it.

Sorry its so long. I just needed to vent or cry!

19 replies
Malakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Malakin Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 11:19pm
post #2 of 20

I feel so bad for you. I used to have that problem all the time when I tried to dye the darker colors. I now airbrush it. Hope something works out.

Molly2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Molly2 Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 11:33pm
post #3 of 20

If I were You I would find the nearest Walmart that sells Fabric and buy some of the thick plastic that they sell (I think they use it for table covering) roll my fondant out on the plastic then cover my cake using the plastic to lift the fondant on to the cake. Then just peel the plastic away from the fondant and continue to smoothe on your cake.

Molly

Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 11:49pm
post #4 of 20

Too late for this time, but next time you can buy Satin Ice in Red.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 11:54pm
post #5 of 20

I always buy my fondant pre-colored. Coloring it yourself just kind of over works it and then it just rips terribly. Satin Ice is what I use. But I know Fondx also has all sorts of colors as well.

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 12:11am
post #6 of 20

You could mix a little gum-text or tylose into it. Not enough to turn it into gum paste or even half way to gum paste. Just a little- just enough to help it pull together and smooth on.

sandeeb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sandeeb Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 12:33am
post #7 of 20

icon_smile.gif Molly2
I really like your idea about the table cloth. I will surely remember that if I ever have to do fondant again.
sandeeb

Molly2 Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 12:54am
post #8 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeeb

icon_smile.gif Molly2
I really like your idea about the table cloth. I will surely remember that if I ever have to do fondant again.
sandeeb

I have made many cakes using that method be sure and rub a little crisco on you plastic before rolling your fondant, it will peel right off and its easy to ajust you fondant when placing it on your cake

Molly

ttehan4 Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 1:04am
post #9 of 20

Thanks for all your help. I will try the tylose. I have a mat that I use that I got at the dollar store and I have rolled out on it and flipped, pulled away like you said with the table cover. Its not big enough for the tier that Im trying to do, so I will probably go to Wally World tomorrow. I had to step away from the cake for awhile. I worked on flowers and watched survivor. So Ive calmed down a bit.

Tomorrows a new day, hopefully all goes smooth.

ttehan4 Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 1:06am
post #10 of 20

I did think about airbrushing too. I thought it would be blotchy so I didnt try. Now I wish I had.

Molly2 Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 1:17am
post #11 of 20

ttehan4

Everything will be better in the morning

Molly icon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 1:09pm
post #12 of 20

if these tiers are stacked on top of each other, dont worry about covering the top of the large tier with red. It is harder to wrap a fondant band around the sides, but you could give it a try. just overlapping enough to cover what will show. I agree that adding alot of colouring to white fondant weakens it, so use precoloured next time. good luck. let us know how it goes.

ttehan4 Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 4:24pm
post #13 of 20

Okay, I have not made any progress on this cake today. I so just want to sit down and cry. My bottom tier that was in the freezer had to be baked again. I cut it after all kinds of measuring and it didnt work. Now I have to start over. The red fondant is so dry it is just crumbling off the cake. I got the table cover and rolled it out and flipped. I got it on the cake but it looks terrible.

Im going now to buy satin ice. I always make my own fondant but I dont have time now. I wanted to try the fondx, but the suppliers in my area dont carry it. I have the choice of 20lb satin ice for 70.00 or 2 - 2lb red satin ice for 16.something each. Figured I might as well bite the bullet and get the 20 lb. Does the satin ice take red well? If not I am airbrushing and that is all there is too it~!!!!!

ttehan4 Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 12:45am
post #14 of 20

Well, believe it or not I actually fixed the red fondant! I didnt have to buy anything. I melted down the left over fondant with a little water and made a paste. I smoothed it on the cracks and holes. When it was almost dry i smoothed it all out with a hot wet spatula. I worked great. You can hardly tell and I think thats because I know and am looking for it.

Im almost finished, finally. I will post a picture tomorrow.

ttehan4 Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 3:46pm
post #15 of 20

I posted my finished cake in my photos. I think it all turned out okay after all that mess. I actually finished it 15 minutes before we had to deliver. Im so glad that one is done!

I wish I knew how to post the picture here.

[/img]

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 4:00pm
post #16 of 20

Wow I really like a twisted hexagon cake! Nice job! thumbs_up.gif What a challenge to overcome... and you did it!!!

jennicita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennicita Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 4:03pm
post #17 of 20

It turned out absolutely gorgeous! Congratulations on the save!!!

ttehan4 Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 4:36pm
post #18 of 20

Thank you so much!

Echooo3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Echooo3 Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 12:17pm
post #19 of 20

Very nice!!

Didn't know you could melt fondant and paint it on. What a clever idea.

Shawnswife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shawnswife Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 5:19pm
post #20 of 20

Wonderful job!! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%