??? About Bushel Of Leaves (Or Apples) Cake Design

Decorating By Misdawn Updated 28 Oct 2009 , 8:38pm by Misdawn

Misdawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Misdawn Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 2:48pm
post #1 of 17

I am planning to make a bushell of leaves cake...you know the one that looks like a wooden bucket with leaves overflowing the top. I have the cake all baked and stacked and crumb-coated and chilling in the 'fridge.

So my question is : how do you get the 'wooden slats' (gumpaste/ fondant) to stick to the side of the cake without falling off? Maybe I'm just overthinking this icon_rolleyes.gif I'm usually a pretty smart girl, but I just don't get it! icon_confused.gif

Thanks!

16 replies
cakeandpartygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeandpartygirl Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 3:46pm
post #2 of 17

I was thinking about trying one of these!! so here is a bump for you

wendalynn11 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wendalynn11 Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 3:53pm
post #3 of 17

If you look in my pics I did one last year. That is actually a good question because it was not easy. I stuck it in with BC and then supported the slats with bands going around the bucket. I might use RI instead of BC because I did have some shifting of the slats the next day. HTH!
Wendy

Misdawn Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 8:41pm
post #4 of 17

Ok so my cake is covered in buttercream. I didn't think I could use RI because wouldn't the grease from the buttercream dissolve the RI?

CakesByLJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByLJ Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 8:55pm
post #5 of 17

I just attached my "slats" to the crusted buttercream with a mist of water.. It worked fine.. I painted the basket after I had it on the cake...I have a picture of a basket I did last Fall in my photos.. hth

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 8:57pm
post #6 of 17

just paint the back of the fondant with a little water and it'll stick nicely. Here is one that my son (8 yr. old at the time) made for school....he had other issues lol (the thing exploded before we got it to the school) but he made another one this year only he used kit kats for the slats...might be a cool option too
LL
LL

Misdawn Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 8:59pm
post #7 of 17

Aaawww poor guy! That's a cute idea to use kitkats. Gonna' have to try that next time.

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 1:15pm
post #8 of 17

i made my planks a couple of days ahead, so they hardened. once the cake was iced the planks just stuck to the sides. ididn't have to do anything special to make them stick. The band is only there as part of the design. Be sure to splinter to tops of your planks they will look more natural. yes, you are over thinking it.

KHalstead Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 3:42pm
post #9 of 17

yeah, he thought ( I agreed) that the fondant apples were too heavy.......I told him to put the apples on skewers this year and he said "No way.......I'm using rice krispie treats" lol

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 3:58pm
post #10 of 17

sweetcakes reply is the answer.. have planks dry and ready.. finish icing with buttercream... add planks.. let set up good. add the bands. if you use the bands. now that has to be glued with sugar glue (my personal favorite) or r/i

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 4:49am
post #11 of 17

I too would let the planks harden at least over night. I use a little piping gel as my glue. Works great

Misdawn Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 2:12pm
post #12 of 17

Ok so I finished the cake yesterday. I put my second coat of buttercream on an then stuck the planks to it. It worked ok, but once I put the bands around them, they felt much more secure.
LL

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 2:28pm
post #13 of 17

Really cool!!! Nice workmanship.

Misdawn Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 10:44pm
post #14 of 17

So I got the results of the silent auction today, and my cake went for $48.

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 7:17pm
post #15 of 17

You know, I don't even like to know the final price when I donate cakes. I got to where I got sick thinking how much I would have charged & what it brought. But the people at the auctions always think they bring so much. Like my shoe/shoebox cake brought $98, but I would have charged at least $160. So, I don't even want to know anymore

KHalstead Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 7:30pm
post #16 of 17

I'm with you on that dandelion!! Better to just give it with a giver's heart and not think about it.

That cake looks amazing, the wood planks look SO REal!!! Awesome job on it!!

Misdawn Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 8:38pm
post #17 of 17

Oh I wasn't complaining. I just thought I'd let everyone know how much it got in case anyone was wondering.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%