How Do I Make Dark Chocolate Fondant?

Baking By cakefan05 Updated 22 Oct 2009 , 10:26pm by cakefan05

cakefan05 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefan05 Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 8:11pm
post #1 of 4

hi guys i was wondering if any of you had a good recepy of dark chocolate fondant, or just chocolate fondant. Thanks!!!

3 replies
cabecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cabecakes Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 8:40pm
post #2 of 4

If you are interested in MMF, what I do is just add cocoa to my marshmallows when they are melting. If you want a more bitter chocolate flavor just add more cocoa if you want a lighter chocolate flavor add less. I don't know if you have the recipe for marshmallow fondant, but it's real easy. First sift 2# powdered sugar through wire mesh collinder onto your work surface and make a well in the center. Put one package of marshmallows, 1 tablespoon water, and cocoa in microwave safe dish and stir to coat marshmallows with water. Microwave for about 2 minutes (stirring every 30 seconds or so) until marshmallows are completely melted. When smooth with no lumps poor marshmallows into the well of powdered sugar. Take a wooden spoon and pick up powdered sugar and stir into the center well. Keep doing this until the marshmallows begin to form a dough. Once the marshmallows are not long stick, rub some vegetable shortening on your hands and work the powdered sugar into the dough. Continue kneading until the mixture has reached a point where it is no longer sticky and has an elasticity to it. Place it in a plastic bag and let rest for about 24 hours. When you are ready to use dust your work surface with 50/50 mixture of cornstarch and powdered sugar (I take a clean/never used knee high and fill it with dusting powder, this allows for a very light dusting) knead fondant until pliable and soft. Roll out starting from the center and rolling to the edge, turn a quarter turn counterclockwise. Repeat until you have reached the desire size for cake (ex. width + side + side). Roll fondant over rolling pin, pick up and place on pre-iced cake.

milkmaid42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milkmaid42 Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 12:09am
post #3 of 4

Hi, and welcome. It seems like everyone but me loves MMF. In some cases the flavor can be better, but I find it difficult to work with. Here is a recipe from Stephen Wood that I find very tasty and manageable.

Makes 2 3/4 lbs, enough to cover a 9" x 3" cake and a 6" x 3" cake

CHOCOLATE ROLLED FONDANT

1 Tb. Gelatin
1/3 C. Water
2/3 C. Light corn syrup
1 Tb. Glycerine
1/4 C. Solid white shortening
1 tsp. Vanilla
6 1/4 C. Powdered sugar, (spooned lightly into cup)
2 1/2 C. Unsweetened Cocoa or...2 C.+2 Tbs. Dutch process cocoa

Sprinkle the gelatin over the water in a 2 Cup heat proof glass measure or bowl and allow to sit and bloom for 5 min. Set in a small pan of simmering water and stir until dissolved. (This can also be done in a microwave on high power, stirring once or twice.) Blend in the corn syrup and glycerine, then add the shortening and stir until melted. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla. (My note here: I have sometimes used mint extract or almond extract for variations.)
Mix the powdered sugar and cocoa in a large bowl and make a well in the center. Add the gelatin mixture and stir with a wooden spoon until blended. Mix with your hands and knead vigorously in the bowl until it form a ball. Turn out onto a lightly greased surface, such as formica or marble, clean your hands, (I lightly grease mine here) and knead until smooth and satiny. If seems dry or brittle, add several drops of water and knead well. The water will make it very sticky and messy at first, but when the mixture holds together, scrape the counter clean, lightly grease it, and knead until smooth.

This is easier to work with if made a day ahead to give the moisture a chance to distribute evenly. It is important to cover tightly with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator in an air tight container.

When ready to roll out, lightly spray the rolling pin and work area with non-stick spray. Don't be alarmed if tiny cracks appear in the surface of the fondant: the warmth from the kneading, or the pressure from the rolling pin will make it smooth and satiny.
Tips: if the cocoa is lumpy, process in a food processor for a few seconds until powdery. Otherwise, it might not be incorporated into the fondant. Should this happen, it can be placed in the food processor (a little at a time) for a few seconds until smooth. I spray my work surface, pin and hands with non-stick. If it seems too stiff at first, a couple seconds in the microwave before kneading will make it pliable.
Also, don't be tempted to use butter for the white shortening. There is no appreciable difference in flavor, and the shortening actually blends better, without streaking, than the butter.

cakefan05 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefan05 Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 10:26pm
post #4 of 4

thank you so much!!!! i will try both

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%