Airbrushing Stacked Cake

Decorating By cakesksa Updated 21 Oct 2009 , 8:00pm by zdebssweetsj

cakesksa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesksa Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 7:37pm
post #1 of 5

Hello,

Can anyone give me some advice on airbrushing a stacked buttercream cake? Is it best to do the airbrushing once it is stacked or before stacking? I will be using different colors/design on each tier.

Thanks!

Julie icon_smile.gif

4 replies
__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 7:44pm
post #2 of 5

Never ever airbrush a stacked cake unless you are purposely wanting the color to be on both tiers. Like if you are starting off black on top and fading down to white at the bottom of the bottom tier. Don't underestimate overspray and gusts of air from an air conditioner that suddenly kicks on.

SJ169 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SJ169 Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 7:47pm
post #3 of 5

I have never airbrushed on buttercream but with when I have airbrushed fondant stacked cakes I airbrushed them when they were not stacked and then let them dry and then stacked them. because i did black, white, black.
You tend to get alot of overspray so i wouldnt trust myself to airbrush a stacked cake if i was using differant colors.

HTH icon_smile.gif

cakesksa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesksa Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 7:55pm
post #4 of 5

Yes, I was afraid of the overspray, but I also don't trust myself to do a perfect stack without mucking up the airbrushing-what to do!

Julie icon_smile.gif

zdebssweetsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zdebssweetsj Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 8:00pm
post #5 of 5

Some one had posted earlier today, that shen she puts her dowel rods in she leaves them a couple inches out of the cake, then allows the next layer to push them al the way in. This might help to keep from smudging your tiers. Good luck HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%