Strawberry Filling Recipe???

Baking By forheavenscake Updated 23 Oct 2009 , 5:44pm by traceym

forheavenscake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
forheavenscake Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 3:35pm
post #1 of 9

Hi all. . .I am in need of a good strawberry filling recipe. She does NOT want the gelled/fake fillings. . looking for a fresh one. I was thinking about just doing it like you make strawberries for strawberry shortcake. .ya know. . just sugar and a touch of lemon juice and let it soak over night.

This is my first filling cake. . .does this sound ok?? Buttercream will be going in the other layers.

ANY advice on the filling recipe OR execution is MUCH appreciated!

Thanks so much!

8 replies
CakeMommyTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommyTX Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 4:32pm
post #2 of 9

I don't know if my filling is a gel or fake filling but I'll try to help you anyways.
I use a frozen whole strawberries because fresh ones are'nt always in and sometimes they are'nt the sweetest, frozen berries are picked at the peak of the season and frozen fresh and I know I'm always getting sweet berries (learned that from Alton!)
I then puree them in a food processor with a some water and a squeeze of lemon, leaving a few chunks and add sugar then I heat them on the stove to a boil and add enough cornstarch to thicken it, and thats it.
It's yummy and sweet.
I've even made this filling and folded in fresh strawberries when I was able to get them.

forheavenscake Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 6:02pm
post #3 of 9

That does sound yummy! Thanks for the input! I just may have to try it! Can I seal it in with a good amount of buttercream (thick buttercream, not spreading consistency) so it doesn't leak out? Or do I need to use something else?

forheavenscake Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 6:19pm
post #4 of 9

Update. . .just checked with her and she wants SLICES not a puree or chunks. hmmmm.....

CakeMommyTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommyTX Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 3:05pm
post #5 of 9

Can you do a layer of buttercream and lay strawberry slices on top of it and another layer of bc to on top, like a buttercream and strawberry sandwhich between the layers ?
I've never done a fruit filling like that but it sounds right I guess..lol

forheavenscake Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 4:20pm
post #6 of 9

LOL, that may work. . .I think I am going to do what I originally said and just make it like I would make strawberry shortcake. Buttercream, strawberry mixture, buttercream (maybe, worried that might be a bit much).

forheavenscake Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 1:54pm
post #7 of 9

Ok, so now I am doubting myself. . .I have never put filling in a cake before, so this is a first for me and I am nervous! I made the filling last night and I am worried that it will be too 'liquid'.

Can anyone share their experiences or advice with me? Is it ok to use this mixture, or should I try to thicken it up a little bit. My only concern with thickening it up is that I don't want the strawberries to reduce in the heat. . maybe if I strain the liquid out and just thicken that part?

FYI. . the mixture I made is strawberry slices, lemon juice & sugar.

I'll be filling the cakes tonight. . please help!

forheavenscake Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 5:02pm
post #8 of 9

Anyone?? Please help!

traceym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traceym Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 5:44pm
post #9 of 9

cakemommy's idea sounds like it would work, (I have personally not done any from scratch, just the premade stuff from the cake stores). My question is would the fruit stay fresh or would it get gross and soggy after a day. Hmmm. Sorry I'm not more help, just curious as well.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%