Covering Ball Shape With Fondant

Decorating By threeforhim Updated 20 Oct 2009 , 4:10am by Rylan

threeforhim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
threeforhim Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 11:22pm
post #1 of 7

I've tried several times to cover the ball pan with fondant and I always get the same results. There is either a mess of fondant underneath or in the back. There a puckers or wrinkles and eventually tears.There is just too much fondant. What is the best way to do this? I need to know some tips or hints on how to do this properly. Anyone have any suggestions? icon_biggrin.gif

6 replies
threeforhim Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 12:09am
post #2 of 7

bump

missyd4e Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missyd4e Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 12:21am
post #3 of 7

I have not tried this but I have read about it. They say to put your cake like on a coffe can, something that is smaller in diameter so that the fondant hangs over your cake and the extra fondant will be below the cake and not do that.
Like I said, have never tried it, but was going to this weekend.

MJoycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MJoycake Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 12:25am
post #4 of 7

I don't think there is a way to cover a complete ball without wrinkles/folds using one single piece of fondant. Depending on what you're doing with the cake, you can do it in two pieces - each half ball (from the round side to the flat side), then put them together. I did that with a teapot cake in my pics...but you've got to be able to cover the seam w/something. It wouldn't really work if you were trying to make a sports ball.

threeforhim Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 3:34am
post #5 of 7

anyone else?

snarkybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snarkybaker Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 4:04am
post #6 of 7

you cut the bottom...I cut our inverted triangles and ( fat side out pointy side in) and then match up the seams.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 4:10am
post #7 of 7

I usually elevate my cakes on top of something smaller as well.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%