Thicker Cakes

Decorating By MammaG Updated 20 Oct 2009 , 1:27am by JanH

MammaG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MammaG Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 10:58pm
post #1 of 6

I made a regular 2" cake last week, but I see all of these that are thicker (like 6"). Do I make 2 or 3 of the same cake and stack it or how does that work? What goes in between? Thanks to all of you who are being patient with my very rookie questions.

5 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 11:06pm
post #2 of 6

Yes, bake a couple of layers and stack them. You can put buttercream between the layers, or another filling, depending on your preferences. Most people say to use a board and dowels for every 4" of cake height, but I've found that I can make 5 or 6 inch tall cakes without any support issues.

MammaG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MammaG Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 11:18pm
post #3 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rose

Yes, bake a couple of layers and stack them. You can put buttercream between the layers, or another filling, depending on your preferences. Most people say to use a board and dowels for every 4" of cake height, but I've found that I can make 5 or 6 inch tall cakes without any support issues.

What kind of filling can be used? I'm so new to this that I have no idea.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 12:34am
post #4 of 6

4" tall is the "standard" height for tiers.

HarleyDee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HarleyDee Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 1:03am
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by MammaG

What kind of filling can be used? I'm so new to this that I have no idea.

There are tons of different kinds of fillings. It depends on whether or not you want to have to refrigerate it or not. Regular buttercream, jams, ganache, puddings, fresh fruit, etc.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 1:27am
post #6 of 6

Everything you need to know to make, decorate and assemble tiered/stacked/layer cakes:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-605188.html

Above super thread has popular CC recipes for crusting American buttercreams, several types of fondant and doctored cake mix (WASC and other flavor variations) - and so much more.

The so much more is baking help, smoothing b/c help, and illustrated common cake assembly methods.

HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%