34 replies
prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 9:34pm
post #2 of 35

Good feeling, isn't it?

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 9:36pm
post #3 of 35

Totally. I'm usually never satisfied with my cake and always keep complaining about it.

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 9:37pm
post #4 of 35

And yet, while it looks like a wreck to us, everyone else is telling us how wonderful it is...we are our own worst critics.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 9:40pm
post #5 of 35

Well, no wonder you're happy with it...it's absolutely perfect and gorgeous!!!!

If you weren't happy with this one, I'd come over there and kick you in the butt icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 9:43pm
post #6 of 35

Wowzaa! Gorgeous!!

jardot22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jardot22 Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 9:45pm
post #7 of 35

Well you should be! That cake is absolutely stunning - all the edges are perfectly crisp, your fondant is flawless, and how the heck did you get those horizontal stripes so perfect? I'm amazed. You are awesome!

Rylan Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 10:07pm
post #8 of 35

Thank you everyone.

As for the stripes, I started from the bottom up. Once attached, I adjust the stripes using a butter knife--pushing/moving the stripes up and down on the uneven areas

grandmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grandmom Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 10:39pm
post #9 of 35

Dang!! You should be happy!

Kerry_Kake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kerry_Kake Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 10:51pm
post #10 of 35

I LOVE this cake you did Rylan! This is my favorite one from your collection....not to mention it was on my birthday video icon_wink.gif
Rylan....your the sweetest!!! icon_smile.gif

Uniqueask Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Uniqueask Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 11:30pm
post #11 of 35

Dawg, you totally rock this one.

Check out my comment on your cake.
That's my Dawg, That's my Dawg. thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

Spuddysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spuddysmom Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 11:52pm
post #12 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uniqueask

Dawg, you totally rock this one.

Check out my comment on your cake.
That's my Dawg, That's my Dawg. thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

Ditto, left my comment. Rylan - congrats!

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 12:08am
post #13 of 35

You're happy with THAT cake?! icon_confused.gif

LOL totally kidding....all your cakes rock but that one is super nice....hope someday my work will be as clean as yours.

tatorchip Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tatorchip Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 1:05am
post #14 of 35

Ohhhhhh, I love it, you outdone yourself, just perfect, I think you should make a dvd

Peridot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peridot Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 1:10am
post #15 of 35

I saw that you made that comment on your cake picture and I did make a comment about it. You should be happy Rylan - most of us wish we could do half of what you do. All of your cakes are great but this one is magnificent!!

CakeMommyTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommyTX Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 1:31am
post #16 of 35

Just happy? That's it, you should be thrilled, come on get with it...lol
It's a beautiful cake!
I added it to my favs, that's the kind of cake I wish I could make!

Lcubed82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lcubed82 Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 3:06am
post #17 of 35

The cake is lovely! How did you get the flower topper? Do you use styrofoam to create?

heddahope Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heddahope Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 3:16am
post #18 of 35

Absolutely stunning!!!! Great work................as usual.

Rylan Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 3:55am
post #19 of 35

Thank you so much for the kind words--I wasn't expecting that. THANK YOU SO MUCH! I really appreciate all your kindness and encouragement.

For the topper, I didn't have styrofoam ball in hand so what I did is I made a ball of foil and then covered it in gumpaste. I then stuck the flowers.

Once again, thank you!

sweetpea1972 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetpea1972 Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 6:00pm
post #20 of 35

Your cake is absolutely gorgeous! I'm amazed at the stripes. I just had to do one with some horizontal stripes and I thought I was going to go crazy!

You should be so thrilled!

PS-I love the look of your website!

radtre Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
radtre Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 7:10pm
post #21 of 35

New member... and still having questions please. This little hobby I picked up to entertain myself is quickly becoming addicting!

Question... in viewing many of the pictures (such as the beautiful ones shown by Rylan and Jardot 22), the 3 tiers are of what size? (10, 8, 6 rounds)? Also, is each layer made of two cakes (2" on top of a 2"), or just a single layer torted? Thanks for the help. I'm ready to tackle a bigger project ~ as practice for now ~ in anticipation of the one I'd like to have done for Thanksgiving and trying to figure it out.

Oh... also..... 2 other questions (okay, in for a penny in for a pound)
1. can you frost with buttercream but use fondant decorations (like cirlces, stripes, etc)?

2. how far in advance can you bake, and freeze a cake and it still be good?

Thanks alot! Sheri

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 7:13pm
post #22 of 35

Rylan - I am so glad you can finally see your talents! There are not many people that can do the level of work that you do. This cake is just gorgeous. {{{{{{{{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}}}}}}}}}} that you see it too!! icon_smile.gif

keriskreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
keriskreations Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 7:19pm
post #23 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by radtre

New member... and still having questions please. This little hobby I picked up to entertain myself is quickly becoming addicting!

Question... in viewing many of the pictures (such as the beautiful ones shown by Rylan and Jardot 22), the 3 tiers are of what size? (10, 8, 6 rounds)? Also, is each layer made of two cakes (2" on top of a 2"), or just a single layer torted? Thanks for the help. I'm ready to tackle a bigger project ~ as practice for now ~ in anticipation of the one I'd like to have done for Thanksgiving and trying to figure it out.

Oh... also..... 2 other questions (okay, in for a penny in for a pound)
1. can you frost with buttercream but use fondant decorations (like cirlces, stripes, etc)?

2. how far in advance can you bake, and freeze a cake and it still be good?

Thanks alot! Sheri

First of all Rylan, your cake is amazing!! I'd be thrilled with ANY of your cakes, but this one takes the cake. icon_smile.gif

Sheri - to answer some of your questions .... now, I'm just a hobby baker, so I can only go from what I do.

The two layer vs torting depends on how big you want the cake. I always do two layers for my cakes, but it's a personal preference - and I like cake. You can most definitely ice in buttercream and use fondant accents - that's what I do the majority of the time. The folks I bake for aren't super fond of the fondant, but like the look of the decorations if you will. As far as the baking and freezing - I've seen some conflicting information on how long you can let the cakes sit - a week to 3 months, it runs the whole gammot. I've baked and kept a cake in the freezer for a month and had it be fine. You just have to make sure there's no air getting in. For this particular cake I double wrapped in saran wrap and then put in a ziploc bag. For larger cakes (too big for ziploc bags), I bake a week ahead of time and double plastic wrap. I've never had a dry cake, and I find when you freeze them they are so much easier to work with.

Cake decorating is a very addictive hobby! I'm at a point now that I want to do cakes full time - of course my skills are SO not ready for that. Someday though!

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 7:26pm
post #24 of 35

Are you sure you're our Rylan, the one who, just a couple of weeks ago, claimed they were never happy with their cakes?

Are you ill? Were you abducted by aliens and probed overnight? Has someone hacked into Rylan's CC account?

Oh, Honey, welcome to the bright side!

The cake is lovely, as are all your cakes. And I'm so glad you finally found your cake happiness. See, it didn't take you that long to find it, after all.

Hugs!

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Rylan Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 7:29pm
post #25 of 35

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU and THANK YOU everyone.

Yes, I was the same Rylan who kept complaining, hehe.

Sheri, Keris got it all covered. For the sizes, on the last cake, I used 12, 9 and 6 inch rounds. I usually just do a 2 inch difference but since I wanted more space in between layers (originally I was going to put peonies in there), I made it bigger.

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 7:32pm
post #26 of 35

Hey, Rylan - cool website, now start filling it up! I wanna read more! icon_lol.gif

Theresa icon_smile.gif

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 7:36pm
post #27 of 35

What a great cake RY! So did planning it out and allowing more time to figure aspects of it out help? Of coarse that is rhetorical because that cake is just stellar! I am jonesing for a cake to decorate right now it isn't even funny! My hands are almost shaking..LOL

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 7:46pm
post #28 of 35

Beautiful cake as all of them are.

Mike

Rylan Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 7:46pm
post #29 of 35

Theresa, thanks and I will. I think going to focus on unusual ingredients.

Sadsmile, oh yes! thanks to you! I did a lot of planning but unfortunately a few things didn't make it to the cake because of failed attempts. The good thing is that I had some back up plan that I reserved.

Mike, thanks!

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 8:40pm
post #30 of 35

Awsome thumbs_up.gif then you still have some tricks to tweak out for another time...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%