Diaper Cake

Lounge By cadgurl07 Updated 19 Nov 2009 , 11:35pm by andpotts

cadgurl07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cadgurl07 Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 6:23pm
post #1 of 10

A really close friend of mine is having a baby shower in a month and at first wanted a tiered cake. Realizing the amount of people that were going to be there it was not realistic. So I suggested a diaper cake as the center piece for her gift table and then some cute cupcakes for the dessert. Having recently just found out about these diaper cakes (made out of diapers, for those who don't know, because I didn't at first) I kind of know how to go about it from some tutorials I've saw but none tell you about how many diapers to get. I'd like to do a 10-8-6 if not maybe a 12-10-8-6. I know it's not really an edible cake, but I'm hoping some of you have done these before and can give me some insight.
Thanks!!

9 replies
ggsbabycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ggsbabycakes Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 7:04pm
post #2 of 10

I've done several diaper cakes and I usually just by the newborn size that has 56 -60 diapers to get a "3-tiered cake". You'll need white or cear rubber bands to hold the individual rolled diaper in place and then a arge rubberband to hod the "layer" in place. I think I use 25-30 diapers for the bottom tier, about 15-20 for the middle layer,and the remaining for the top. It realy depends on what you're trying to achieve. Remember to account for whatever gifts you're going to attach to the sides or tucked in the diaper ring. All said, one pack of diapers should be enough uness you're planning to make a huge "cake".

dljc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dljc Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 7:22pm
post #3 of 10

I make these cakes a lot too, except I use about 60 of the size 2 diapers. In that way, the recipient can keep the cake around without having to use the diapers up.

Here is a picture of two of mine. I like to use receiving blankets around the outside to smooth it out and make it not look so much like diapers. I've brought them into work and people think that they are real cakes!

Good luck!
Debbie
LL

seasonsmoke Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
seasonsmoke Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 9:33am
post #4 of 10

I was given a diaper cake at my baby shower. I loved it. It was so cute and useful. I'm sure your friend will enjoy the one you make her.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 12:01am
post #5 of 10

I got a couple when I was pregnant with my son. A lot of people put little teething toys on them, onezies, stuffed animals. Pretty much anything you can think of. Hope this helps!

Just google a diaper cake and you'll get lots of pictures.

dldbrou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dldbrou Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 3:37am
post #6 of 10

This is what I did for my DIL's baby shower. I used the 200 pack newborn.
LL

cadgurl07 Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 7:26pm
post #7 of 10

Thank you for all your tips! I just wanted to share my finished product. The shower isn't until November 28th '09.
LL

G_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
G_Cakes Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 7:58pm
post #8 of 10

Awesome job!

cadgurl07 Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 8:31pm
post #9 of 10

Thanks. Just as an FYI to everyone, there are 100 newborn diapers there. My favorite part of it are the little socks that say imagine and dream on them icon_smile.gif

andpotts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
andpotts Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 11:35pm
post #10 of 10

Just wanted to tell you all these are some of the cutest diaper cakes I've seen, I just love them, you all did such nice jobs! Saving your pics so I can be inspired for the next shower I attend thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%