Frosting Issues!!!!!

Baking By Nay9701 Updated 17 Oct 2009 , 9:24pm by vdrsolo

Nay9701 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nay9701 Posted 17 Oct 2009 , 7:54pm
post #1 of 7

Okay - for some reason - I cannot get my frostings right. The main buttercream recipe that I use is the "Snow White Buttercream". I follow steps exactly and its always one way or the other - too dry or too wet. It has caused me to say no to wedding cakes! I take it off, add more powdered sugar and still cannot get it to work. Can't get smooth sides, good corners or tops. I'm about to call it quits - does anyone have a no-fail buttercream recipe?

Thanks for your time and help!

6 replies
JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 17 Oct 2009 , 8:38pm
post #2 of 7

I, personally, like Buttercream Dream for the taste. It smooths and pipes well, too.

Other people on this site rave over IndyDebi's recipe which contains Dream Whip powder. So, it must be a good one, too. HTH!

msulli10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msulli10 Posted 17 Oct 2009 , 8:45pm
post #3 of 7

Sugarshacks - always the perfect consistency!

Horselady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Horselady Posted 17 Oct 2009 , 8:53pm
post #4 of 7

I don't know. I always use the wilton one with half butter half crisco, usually doubled or trippled and I never measure anything, just a bit of vanilla, maybe a little extra, lol, extra salt to cut sweetness, and I add hot water as needed. Never had too much of an issue.

Sorry that's no help! Sometimes you just have to go by feel, but I have found you're better off not to add too much water as when you start adding ps to stiffen it back up it gets too sweet, just month.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 17 Oct 2009 , 9:02pm
post #5 of 7

I'm not familiar with that recipe .... can you post it so we can see what you're working with?

Have you been doing cakes very long? I ask because you mentioned that you have to "take it off" when it's not right. Are you able to tell if it's too thick or too thin while it's in the bowl .... before you start the icing process?

I'm one of those "until it looks right" cooks so "following the steps exactly" is absolutely no guarantee at all, in my ever so never humble opinion. If you follow the steps exactly and it turns out different every time, then you have a bad recipe, or you're not following it exactly.

poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 17 Oct 2009 , 9:07pm
post #6 of 7

Indydebi's BC can't be beat.

vdrsolo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vdrsolo Posted 17 Oct 2009 , 9:24pm
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nay9701

Okay - for some reason - I cannot get my frostings right. The main buttercream recipe that I use is the "Snow White Buttercream". I follow steps exactly and its always one way or the other - too dry or too wet. It has caused me to say no to wedding cakes! I take it off, add more powdered sugar and still cannot get it to work. Can't get smooth sides, good corners or tops. I'm about to call it quits - does anyone have a no-fail buttercream recipe?

Thanks for your time and help!

Are you referring to Wilton's Snow White Buttercream recipe? If so, it's much to "dry" (at least for me anyway) to use for icing a cake. The only time that I ever use that recipe is if I want to make buttercream flowers and air dry them like royal, it works like a charm, just takes longer to dry. Probably because of the meringue powder.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%